Peter Pan's Flight exterior refurbishment complete

SeaCastle

Is it just me or does the Pan facade look more akin to Adventureland? I'm all for losing the tent facades, and the refurbishment looks great, but it seems it would look more at home in Adventureland. :shrug:

steve2wdw

WDW Fan Since 1973
It seems that the plan has the tents within the castle walls staying as they are... everything outside the walls (including Pooh) will be re-done. The original DL Fantasyland was all tournament tents. At least the MK FL has the tents only over the attraction entrances with village like buildings between them. I don't hate the tents, because the areas between the attractions (like the one that just emerged from rehab) have lots of detail. Since Cindy's castle dominates FL, I think a total re-design would have been a bigger challenge than what happened at DL with the smaller castle. SB castle is also Bavarian themed which lends itself better to the village behind it. The imposing french-styled Cinderella Castle wouldn't work so well. All this, plus the fact that massive landscaping can't be done over FL utilidors probably put a kink in any plans to do a complete FL rehab. It also ends up being a good excuse for TDO to save $$ by leaving the courtyard and west side of FL as is. Right now, I'm just glad that they'll be far more room to spread out in FL, once the expansion is done. Coming from the forest end of FL, the courtyard will really have the appearance of a festival in town. It might end up being complimentary to the new section when all is said and done. I'll hold my judgement until the process is finished in 2012-13.

(During my trip in February, I thought that FL and the rest of the MK were really starting to shine. The area just out from the tarps in FL looks great! Keep it up Disney.)

PurpleRose

wow, one fantasyland rumor was fake: they said that they were taking down pooh's playful spot and digging back up 20,000 leagues under the sea to re-make it...

I had never heard about the 20,000 Leagues rumor. I have always heard that spot was for the Little Mermaid E ticket ride.

DiPSU224

Thanks Steve it looks good but not as good as this

dlpeterpansflight.gif

Really? :rolleyes: Why must everything be constantly negative??

Thanks for the pics Steve. I think it looks great...nice detail! Good to see something nice come from behind that wall.

PeoplemoverTTA

Is it just me or does the Pan facade look more akin to Adventureland? I'm all for losing the tent facades, and the refurbishment looks great, but it seems it would look more at home in Adventureland. :shrug:

It's not just you, that was my first instinct as well...looks nice, but definitely seems very Adventureland-like.

NewfieFan

It seems that the plan has the tents within the castle walls staying as they are... everything outside the walls (including Pooh) will be re-done. The original DL Fantasyland was all tournament tents. At least the MK FL has the tents only over the attraction entrances with village like buildings between them. I don't hate the tents, because the areas between the attractions (like the one that just emerged from rehab) have lots of detail. Since Cindy's castle dominates FL, I think a total re-design would have been a bigger challenge than what happened at DL with the smaller castle. SB castle is also Bavarian themed which lends itself better to the village behind it. The imposing french-styled Cinderella Castle wouldn't work so well. All this, plus the fact that massive landscaping can't be done over FL utilidors probably put a kink in any plans to do a complete FL rehab. It also ends up being a good excuse for TDO to save $$ by leaving the courtyard and west side of FL as is. Right now, I'm just glad that they'll be far more room to spread out in FL, once the expansion is done. Coming from the forest end of FL, the courtyard will really have the appearance of a festival in town. It might end up being complimentary to the new section when all is said and done. I'll hold my judgement until the process is finished in 2012-13.

(During my trip in February, I thought that FL and the rest of the MK were really starting to shine. The area just out from the tarps in FL looks great! Keep it up Disney.)

Interesting thoughts!

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
We have a winner.

If you're just talking about the resort and themeparks, and not just fantasyland, that's where you're wrong.

WDW has been voted by people all over the world the greatest disney theme park. I think it's because they have 4 themeparks, more attractions, and, it's just bigger and better i'm saying... no offense disneyland lovers :cool:

jmuboy

Regardless of how people vote - if you have been to both parks you kjnow the INSIDE of DL's Peter Pan ride makes ours look like a sad carnie dark ride. I hope against hope the WDW Peter Pan's Flight gets an interior upgrade during or after the FL Expansion. It could be scheduled properly so the ride is only down 6 - 8 weeks.

Regardless of how people vote - if you have been to both parks you kjnow the INSIDE of DL's Peter Pan ride makes ours look like a sad carnie dark ride. I hope against hope the WDW Peter Pan's Flight gets an interior upgrade during or after the FL Expansion. It could be scheduled properly so the ride is only down 6 - 8 weeks.

What the difference? Only reason I ask is I've never ever been to Disneyland - but would like to go in the future.

tnemgif

What the difference? Only reason I ask is I've never ever been to Disneyland - but would like to go in the future.
DL's uses thousands of fiber optic lights in the Neverland scene. Instead of actually flying through the island, the boat swings around a large model of the island, surrounded by all those fiber optics. The sets in DL are represented on a smaller scale, but it makes you feel more like you are flying. Other than that, the ride seems basically the same to me. There are some good videos online of the DL version to check out. Try about 47 seconds into this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLtyW-e04Kk

If you're just talking about the resort and themeparks, and not just fantasyland, that's where you're wrong.

I think they were referring to Magic Kingdom vs Disneyland Park... Disneyland just seems to be updated more frequently and maintained better in the past decade. Other than attendance figures, I have never seen a poll placing WDW as the greatest Disney park, but I could easily be wrong.

TP2000

I was blown away when I rode Pan at DL, and very saddened when I rode it at WDW the week after.

I've done that too, but the difference was just about 48 hours between Magic Kingdom and then going to Disneyland. I rode Pan twice at Magic Kingdom in one day, and then rode Pan a couple days later at Disneyland, and it's truly shocking how advanced the Disneyland version is when you do that back-to-back comparison.

Pirates and Small World and some other attractions are nearly as shocking in comparison when it comes to audio, animatronic upkeep, vibrancy of the sets and such. But at Peter Pan's Flight it's the most noticeable, and it's almost as if it's two entirely different companies that are operating a Peter Pan dark ride on each coast. :veryconfu

Don't the WDW managers ever visit Disneyland? :rolleyes:

MarkTwain

DL's uses thousands of fiber optic lights in the Neverland scene. Instead of actually flying through the island, the boat swings around a large model of the island, surrounded by all those fiber optics. The sets in DL are represented on a smaller scale, but it makes you feel more like you are flying. Other than that, the rides seemes basically the same to me. There are some good videos online of the DL version to check out. Try about 47 seconds into this one:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLtyW-e04Kk

The AAs seem more fully-formed, as well. And as others noted, the exterior is much better.

HMF

WDW has been voted by people all over the world the greatest disney theme park. I think it's because they have 4 themeparks, more attractions, and, it's just bigger and better i'm saying... no offense disneyland lovers :cool:
I am talking about Disneyland Park vs. Magic Kingdom Park.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom