Peter Pan's Flight exterior refurbishment complete

ryno1982

If you honestly think that everything in MK should be rebuilt to be like Disneyland, you are disillusioned. The MK has some definite design flaws, but that's the people who built the place in the 70s' fault, not current management. All we can really ask for is that they keep the place clean and fresh, which is what they did. There's areas of Disneyland that could use work too.

MarkTwain

If you honestly think that everything in MK should be rebuilt to be like Disneyland, you are disillusioned. The MK has some definite design flaws, but that's the people who built the place in the 70s' fault, not current management. All we can really ask for is that they keep the place clean and fresh, which is what they did. There's areas of Disneyland that could use work too.

The design of the Magic Kingdom, architecturally, was an improvement on the Disneyland of that age in almost every way. The Imagineers understood the flaws of the first park and took measures to correct them. For example, Disneyland's Fantasyland was far inferior to ours today. When the Imagineers designed the MK, our Fantasyland was made considerably superior.

But here's the thing: Disneyland's Fantasyland was refurbished in 1983, and it's been great ever since, with its water fountain Dumbo, European architectural facades, and the addition of the Pinocchio ride. WDW's Fantasyland never got such a treatment. I was hoping that with the FLE we would get the new facades, but unfortunately that's not the case.

SeaCastle

But here's the thing: Disneyland's Fantasyland was refurbished in 1983, and it's been great ever since, with its water fountain Dumbo, European architectural facades, and the addition of the Pinocchio ride. WDW's Fantasyland never got such a treatment. I was hoping that with the FLE we would get the new facades, but unfortunately that's not the case.

Due to the location of Dumbo above the Utilidors, it was impossible to build a fountain there. Even if Dumbo stayed in its place during the FLE, it would never be able to receive a water treatment.

HMF

Due to the location of Dumbo above the Utilidors, it was impossible to build a fountain there. Even if Dumbo stayed in its place during the FLE, it would never be able to receive a water treatment.
I belive the New Dumbo will feature a fountain.

RSoxNo1

I believe Ricky Brigante asked an imagineer about this and the imagineer would not confirm any water features on Dumbo just yet.

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
I am talking about Disneyland Park vs. Magic Kingdom Park.

i don't think that's fare, i mean half of magic kingdom's rides which would be in disneyland are at another park. disneyland has too much rides in one park, i would hate having to go back to the same park the next day or in 2 days just to ride the rides i missed...

at least magic kingdom has the country bear jamboree... oh well, i guess different people have different opinions.. :shrug:

WondersOfLife

Blink, blink. Breathe, breathe. Day in, day out.
i don't think that's fare, i mean half of magic kingdom's rides which would be in disneyland are at another park. disneyland has too much rides in one park, i would hate having to go back to the same park the next day or in 2 days just to ride the rides i missed...

at least magic kingdom has the country bear jamboree... oh well, i guess different people have different opinions.. :shrug:

magic kingdom's fantasyland had to be rushed because of the opening date, thus, creating the tent and medieval theme :king:

TP2000

magic kingdom's fantasyland had to be rushed because of the opening date, thus, creating the tent and medieval theme :king:

That's the most interesting statement about the Magic Kingdom's Fantasyland I think I've ever heard. Most people say that about Tomorrowland, both at Disneyland in '55 and Magic Kingdom in '71. But I don't think I've ever heard that said about Fantasyland. Ever. :confused:

Funny thing is that in Walt's own Epcot '66 film he filmed in October, 1966, he had his Imagineering team cut and paste an exact duplicate of Disneyland circa 1965 on to the map of his Florida Project, as the "theme park". It was Disneyland USA, right down to the StorybookLand Canal Boats, Matterhorn Bobsleds, the Indian Village, and New Orleans Square. Walt died two months later. And it's interesting to think what would have happened if Magic Kingdom had opened with as many rides as Disneyland had in '65, much less as many rides as Disneyland has in 2010. (Which is the most of any Disney theme park anywhere. E Tickets, D Tickets, A Tickets, any tickets!)

Walt Disney, Florida Project Map, October, 1966
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_kcOhS_A3t.../W3E9z1fBqx0/s1600-h/WALT%2BDISNEY%2B1965.jpg

Disneyland Fantasyland in 1971 and 2010 has 13 attractions; 2 E Tickets, 1 D Ticket, 6 C Tickets, 3 B Tickets, and 1 A Ticket. Magic Kingdom Fantasyland in 1971 and 2010 has 8 attractions; 1 E Ticket, 1 D Ticket, 3 C Tickets, and 3 B Tickets.

Something tells me DisCo planned it that way in the late 1960's, and for whatever reason Orlando management has kept it that way for 40 years. But with the New Fantasyland coming in 2012-13, the attraction count for Magic Kingdom will increase by at least a couple.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom