PERMITS

SSG

Original Poster
SGN2018-00058 Address: 1554 S DISNEYLAND DTD - Esplanade/West Plaza - Temporary facia board signage. (6month installation only)

SGN2018-00059 DCA - Piradise Pier - Installation (2) free standing marquee entrance signs with cupolas reads "Pizar Pier" and "Pixa Pal-A-Round". REF:BLD2018-00349 (primary steel and foundation under BLD2018-00349)

D

Deleted member 107043

Perhaps you're correct! I know there's a gap for part of it; I remember many a long waits staring down over the ledge during those switchbacks to gaze at people exiting the ride through the breezeway between EO and Starcade. I know that area has a gap.

I'd believe that later on (when the queue is covered by roof but still outside) the two buildings meet and there's a door between them.

I'll probably be there later today, so I'll check it out for us then.

They connect. Back in 1977 (yes I'm old ) you could enter the 2nd floor of the Starcade from the outdoor mezzanine level of what was then called Space Mountain Plaza.

Last edited by a moderator:

180º

The Space Mountain complex is so under-appreciated. The interesting, multi-level architecture architecture remains elegant even after Magic Eye theater and TL98. Also, along with the Hungry Bear restaurant, it’s one of the few places in Disneyland that can handle crowds with ease. I occasionally retreated to the Pizza Port terrace to get some peace and quiet. It’s amazing how laid back the place feels despite holding one of the most popular rides in the park.

Regarding the permit, it mentions a “current backstage area,” which leads me to believe they are not enclosing existing queue space. I think we can be pretty certain it’s the upper floor of the Starcade. That’s the only sizable current backstage area I can think of besides the conference rooms, but that’s a far less likely option.

Curious Constance

The Space Mountain complex is so under-appreciated. The interesting, multi-level architecture architecture remains elegant even after Magic Eye theater and TL98. Also, along with the Hungry Bear restaurant, it’s one of the few places in Disneyland that can handle crowds with ease. I occasionally retreated to the Pizza Port terrace to get some peace and quiet. It’s amazing how laid back the place feels despite holding one of the most popular rides in the park.

Regarding the permit, it mentions a “current backstage area,” which leads me to believe they are not enclosing existing queue space. I think we can be pretty certain it’s the upper floor of the Starcade. That’s the only sizable current backstage area I can think of besides the conference rooms, but that’s a far less likely option.
I wonder if this means the attempt to turn the starcade into a hip, elegant event space failed?

D

Deleted member 107043

I wonder if this means the attempt to turn the starcade into a hip, elegant event space failed?

You mean that sad and unremarkable vacant area they rent for private events and likely charge a premium for?

8706366c8fcfc6b6bb37d73a9846e7bf.jpg

I wonder how successful they've been at booking it.

D

Deleted member 107043

Hans, the chair backs are SEE through. This looks highly fancy to me.

Those are chiavari chairs darling. Any basic caterer can get you those for a dime a dozen. I'm exaggerating, but the point is that they are extremely common.

Don't even get me started on the table linen (which synthetic was used to produce that coarse fabric?), and I refuse to comment on that hilariously depressing and lonely centerpiece. :facepalm:

Curious Constance

Those are chiavari chairs darling. Any basic caterer can get you those for a dime a dozen. I'm exaggerating, but the point is that they are extremely common.

Don't even get me started on the table linen (which synthetic was used to produce that coarse fabric?), and I refuse to comment on that hilariously depressing and lonely centerpiece.
Any chance the obvious fake walls are trendy?

Old Mouseketeer

This was filed last month:

Disney - Space Mountain, Backstage - Tenant Improvement: Construct new exit stairs at exterior back house area with new exit passageway leading to stairs. Starcade floor (previously escalator/speed ramp) to be infilled. Modifications to existing operations office to include new ceiling, drywall, electrical, mechanical, and exterior facade.

The Starcade is on the West side of the Captain Eo Theater. If "Operations Office" means attractions, that is located on the second floor on the West side of Captain Eo.

Ismael Flores

Man, I wish the Magic Eye theater was gone and that great open air theater space was available again. This whole Space Mountain complex has never been quite right without it.

I agree, not only should they open up the Magic Eye theater like it use to be but re-arranged a couple things in the area.

1) Move Space mountain entrance to the opposite side using the first and second floor of starcade for indoor queue.
2) gut and tear out the pizza port and relocate anew eatery using the Magic eye theater footprint and leave a stage for live entertainment like it used to be. The old Captain EO queue in the back of the building would be repurposed to add a new kitchen.

3) use the area occupied by the pizza port including the outside eating area and the area used by the fastpass machines and build an indoor darkride for tomorrowland.

what this would accomplish,

better use of the land that surrounds Space mountain and open up the visual elements by removing the roof they added for the magic eye theater.
It would give Space mountain an extended indoor queue area

The eatery would be more centrally located and closer to the actual restrooms at the exit of Space Mountain. It would also give them a larger with stage facility for entertainment.

since the theater would be gone the side wall and exit doors that was added when the theater was enclosed would be eliminated allowing them to remove the exit queue divider/Planter that was added to push guests out of the theater. this would open up that corridor by doubling its size allowing for better guest flow in that area.

mickEblu

Sounds like Space Mountain's queue is being re-worked.

BLD2018-01545 Disney - Space Mountain, Backstage - Tenant Improvement: Renovate 5000 sq. ft. existing interior space to a conditioned queue area. Reconfigure exiting queue on roof deck. Associated electrical and finish modifications

BLD2018-01546 Disneyland - Storybook Land Canal Boats - Tenant Improvement: Install (1) new light pole with footing and existing .
YOU GUYS! SPACE MOUNTAIN IS GETTING A 5,000 SQUARE FOOT INDOOR AIR CONDITIONED QUEUE! THIS IS MAJOR! Each guest is given 1 square meter in the calculation of indoor queues. 5,000 square feet converted to square meters is roughly room for 464 people! EPIC. Not as epic as the 1600 I was expecting it to handle when I did the math in my head but that is good for about 30 minutesworth of indoor queuing.

I was excited to see this too. So do you think they re covering part of the exterior queue or is this going to be in the starcade? Part of me will miss the weird 70s vibe of the whole complex - although most of that will still be there.

jmuboy

I love all of them but I love the 4th slightly less. The 5th was a return to form and at least it's a pretty enjoyable movie but I guess I can understand the fatigue most people (and critics) have.

Honestly, I rank the movies in (almost) chronological order.
1. Curse of the Black Pearl
2. Dead Man's Chest
3. At World's End
4. Dead Men Tell No Tales
5. On Stranger Tides
I would swap 3 and 5 in this list personally

180º

Would anyone be opposed to just ripping the dome off entirely and replacing it with an identical new one that doesn’t have awkwardly-implemented fall protection solutions and a history of mangled paint jobs and grime?

TROR

Would anyone be opposed to just ripping the dome off entirely and replacing it with an identical new one that doesn’t have awkwardly-implemented fall protection solutions and a history of mangled paint jobs and grime?
Are you referring to the third dome they added? Honestly, I forget it's even there. Much like the higher railing on SBC's bridge.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom