Perhaps all is not well....

Reason

Original Poster
still more

Sorry about all that. My wife set me straight shortly after I posted.

The news you share does coincide with what other posters have mentioned too. That sucks for those workers who get laid off. Any guess what the "something else" could be?

Have you ever looked around your house and seen all the work you need to do? The windows may need recaulking, the door hinges might need a little tightening, and the roof needs to washed. You feel so defeated that you decide to cheer yourself up instead. Maybe an ice cream cone might do the trick, or maybe, you find yourself so frustrated you buy a new car [not me of course I've got kids in college]. "Something else" MIGHT be closer to a car in scale than the cone.

Oberon81

Have you ever looked around your house and seen all the work you need to do? The windows may need recaulking, the door hinges might need a little tightening, and the roof needs to washed. You feel so defeated that you decide to cheer yourself up instead. Maybe an ice cream cone might do the trick, or maybe, you find yourself so frustrated you buy a new car [not me of course I've got kids in college]. "Something else" MIGHT be closer to a car in scale than the cone.

*wishes there was a finger gun smiley* Gotcha!

WDWFigment

Let's just hope WDW trades in their old car while cash for clunkers is still going on so they get that rebate to keep costs down!

Knowing management, they will wait until after rebate, then cut the budget of the project to account for the difference.

sublimesting

I just did that last night actually! I then determined that after my current list I'd be all caught up and done and now you tell me otherwise!?:veryconfu:cry: Ha ha, it is frustrating.

TP2000

Assuming the OP's info is correct, and I have no reason to doubt it, this sort of thing happens all the time in that industry. It would be wise to not read into this news that TDO has put the brakes on New Fantasyland, or the next new E Ticket.

Here in SoCal, Imagineers get laid off rather frequently, only to be called back a few months or a year later. Except for the executives and office managers, the creative types who really produce the stuff that gets put into a park are a rather nomadic bunch. And the lay-offs and recalls are all part of the gig.

Take the big layoffs in WDI early this year when Disney announced it was at an impasse on Hong Kong Disneyland and expanding that troubled park. It was widely reported as another casualty in the struggling Hong Kong property and the global tourism downturn as a whole. Fast forward six months later and Jay Rasulo formally announces a big expansion of Hong Kong Disneyland with three new lands and a half dozen new attractions, two of which are major E Tickets. BZZZ! Attention Laid Off Imagineers, your former employer needs you back and hopes you had a nice spring sabatical. Please report to Glendale on Monday with a valid US Passport.

Lay-offs and downsizings are par for the course in this industry. The people that work in the creative fields particularly expect it, and know it can be triggered by small political moves and internal company strategy, as well as broader economic issues. And they also expect to be hired back on within a matter of months to a year.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Wouldn't Disney want to outsource considering it is much cheaper? :shrug:

How do you figure that?

Outsourcing to a company in the USA versus in-house development in their already established Imagineering Department.

Just because something is out-sourced doesn't mean it is cheaper, it just means that company doesn't have to deal with it.

dreamfinder

Wouldn't Disney want to outsource considering it is much cheaper? :shrug:

Outsourcing isn't always cheaper. Initially the labor costs may be less, but in many cases the company ends up paying the same or more in the long run. Many companies that initially outsourced call centers to India and the like are bringing at least part of the workforce back to the US. Many others that shipped manufacturing overseas ended up having to deal with a higher rate of failures/returns, which ended up costing them about the same. Standards aren't always upheld, and if something goes wrong down the road, you need to either rip the whole thing apart to figure out what went wrong, or try to track down the outsourced employee who designed it to have them fix it. Odds are goods records for an inhouse project are better kept than for one that was outsourced.

whylightbulb

How do you figure that?

Outsourcing to a company in the USA versus in-house development in their already established Imagineering Department.

Just because something is out-sourced doesn't mean it is cheaper, it just means that company doesn't have to deal with it.
in the case of WDI outsourcing usually does mean it will be cheaper. What Imagineering has established is a massive bureaucracy that does not reward value engineering and ingenuity in terms of cost savings. Vendors are forced into value engineering and of course some are better at it than others. In some cases this does mean lower quality unfortunately. Some of the better companies are able to deliver the desired quality with the added efficiency and cost savings however.

whylightbulb

Which company?

I'm not sure which company the OP is referring to. The main ones I can think of based in Central Florida are Nassal, ITEC, Entech, Sparks, Cinnabar, Attraction Design Services, Totally Fun Company, Falcons Treehouse, Birket Engineering, Clegg, Morris, Pizzazz, Creative Environs, Electrosonic, oceaneering, and many smaller companies. None of the companies listed here did any massive hiring for potential Disney projects that I know of. They are staying busy with either Universal or international projects. I'm not saying the OP is wrong but it certainly has me scratching my head. Besides that, the only Disney projects that have gone far enough to get these vendors involved is Star Tours 2 and Innoventions. TLM and the new Fantasyland is still in Glendale and a few consultants at this point.

CaptainJackNO

While I agree with you about HIPPA, the patients right to privacy regarding where they work, the nature of their business, and conversation between them and their doctor still could be a violation. Just saying. Speaking from experience as the husband of a doctor.

Regardless of the statement above I can't help but think this gets filed into the "bus driver" category. The credibility of "I heard" statements is questionable.

What a reach........:rolleyes:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom