Pepper Market at Coronado Springs Resort to test a buffet-only breakfast and lunch

lebeau

I don't like this idea.

I liked the Pepper Market okay. But even when it was ala carte, I wished there was a cheaper food court at times. The portions were huge and sometimes I just wanted a cheap-o burger to fill up. A buffet seems to be a step in the wrong direction unless they also add in a traditional food court to supplement the dining options.

Maybe it will be a hit with the convention crowd. :shrug:

ToTBellHop

Interesting. Very reasonable price (and no more auto-tip) but I wonder what the food will be. Will Pepper Market also still function as a food court at these times? Seems difficult to organize a food court and buffet at the same location.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster
Interesting. Very reasonable price (and no more auto-tip) but I wonder what the food will be. Will Pepper Market also still function as a food court at these times? Seems difficult to organize a food court and buffet at the same location.

Buffet only for breakfast and lunch, regular for dinner.

devoy1701

I've never liked the set up of the Pepper Market. When we stayed here and realized it was an Al Carte Table Service type restaurant with Auto-Tip we ended up driving to another resort to eat. There was about a 25% mark-up on menu items here as opposed to the Food Court at CBR.

This sounds like a way to cut costs while increasing revenues.

audiotinker

Does anyone else agree that this is a HORRIBLE :hammer: idea?!!! Part of what made it so unique and yummy by the way was the fact that you had so many choices and it was all made fresh for you. This is a terrible, no good, very bad idea... :brick:

lebeau

Does anyone else agree that this is a HORRIBLE :hammer: idea?!!! Part of what made it so unique and yummy by the way was the fact that you had so many choices and it was all made fresh for you. This is a terrible, no good, very bad idea... :brick:

Agreed. The Pepper Market doesn't appeal to everybody. But this seems to be giving up the things that made it appealing to some while retaining the limitations that made it undesirable to others (save for the built-in tip).

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
I don't like this idea.

I liked the Pepper Market okay. But even when it was ala carte, I wished there was a cheaper food court at times. The portions were huge and sometimes I just wanted a cheap-o burger to fill up. A buffet seems to be a step in the wrong direction unless they also add in a traditional food court to supplement the dining options.

Maybe it will be a hit with the convention crowd. :shrug:

Cheap-o-burger's are (were) available at the Cafe Rix. No need to replicate that at the Pepper Market as well.

I like the Pepper Market because it is different. Better food and service than a normal food court. Now we just get another buffet at breakfast and lunch...boo. Plus, it'll probably now be a table-service credit rather than quick-service for those on the dining plan, eliminating another of its benefits.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member

I'm with you. In the big picture, it isn't all that important of a change, but a bad one, I think.

lebeau

Cheap-o-burger's are (were) available at the Cafe Rix. No need to replicate that at the Pepper Market as well.

I like the Pepper Market because it is different. Better food and service than a normal food court. Now we just get another buffet at breakfast and lunch...boo. Plus, it'll probably now be a table-service credit rather than quick-service for those on the dining plan, eliminating another of its benefits.

Good points on Pepper Market.

Hey wait-a-minute. Where is this Cafe Rix you speak of? We stayed at CBR for a week and never came across it.

Edit: Nevermind. We stayed there in 2007. I see it opened after that. Too bad it wasn't there when we stayed there. Would have really rounded out the dining options.

That being the case, I see no need for a buffet.

rsoxguy

I will be staying at the CSR in a few weeks and had planned on skipping the Pepper Market. Perhaps I'll give it a try for breakfast one morning. If so, I'll try to remember to give a quick mention here.

MichWolv

Born Modest. Wore Off.
Premium Member
Good points on Pepper Market.

Hey wait-a-minute. Where is this Cafe Rix you speak of? We stayed at CBR for a week and never came across it.

Edit: Nevermind. We stayed there in 2007. I see it opened after that. Too bad it wasn't there when we stayed there. Would have really rounded out the dining options.

That being the case, I see no need for a buffet.

Yep, Cafe Rix was an expansion of the grab-n-go area that opened about the same time the club Rix opened. It has the normal grab-n-go, plus a grill that makes burger and hotdogs as well as some hot sandwiches.

COProgressFan

I know its not for everyone, but I like the setup of the Pepper Market versus the traditional Disney food court.

The buffet idea doesn't really seem all that appealing to me.

minniemickeyfan

I may have to try this out. Anyone know what the food choices will be? I'm thinking they will cut down on what they offer from the a la carte method.

ToTBellHop

My only real problem w/ this is that I think they chose the wrong restaurant. Maya Grill should offer the buffet and Pepper Market should stay quick service. Now, for people at Coronado, the only option for a quick breakfast is Cafe Rix? There's no way that can keep up w/ the crowds of people who will want a quick bite on their way to the parks. Are they trying to force people to have a buffet breakfast EVERY morning? Americans may be gaining weight, but I don't think many people can eat that much food EVERY morning (and never mind how long it would take if you just want to get to the parks).

dreamscometrue

When my wife and daughter were staying at CSR in April, 2008, they called me at home to say they had been sitting at their table in The Pepper Market and overheard some TDO brass at the next table discusing plans for converting it to a buffet restaurant. Yes, that was April, 2008. We've been expecting this announcement, or some sort of trial, for more than 3 and a half years. :)

minniemickeyfan

My only real problem w/ this is that I think they chose the wrong restaurant. Maya Grill should offer the buffet and Pepper Market should stay quick service. Now, for people at Coronado, the only option for a quick breakfast is Cafe Rix? There's no way that can keep up w/ the crowds of people who will want a quick bite on their way to the parks. Are they trying to force people to have a buffet breakfast EVERY morning? Americans may be gaining weight, but I don't think many people can eat that much food EVERY morning (and never mind how long it would take if you just want to get to the parks).

Good point. I couldn't imagine staying there and this being my breakfast option EVERY day.

Remember that all of these eateries are owned by the parent company of San Angel and La Cava Del Tequila. They may very well revert back after the test should it not be successful. Considering a breakfast platter of pretty bland breakfast items would run you about $8 at other resorts, plus $2.50 for a beverage, the price isn't too bad depending on what's offered.

We'll see.

GenerationX

I'm not a fan of the set-up at Pepper Market. It's sort of a counter service, sort of a table service, and not really good at either. The freshly made food is the best part. However, the whole cards with stamps routine is awkward and having to wait for your server to fill your resort mug wastes time (at least in our case it was - the server we had last week was the absolute worst we've ever had anywhere at anytime in WDW). It's a shame the food won't be made to order, but the other changes sound good.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom