People who wear black clothes on a HOT day

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I like having sleeves over my arms in the Florida sun.
A couple of years ago, as I was getting my kids into their bathing suits, it occurred to me that it was wild that we put them in long sleeves and hats to protect them from the sun when they swim but we didn't do the same for ourselves. I've been wearing long sleeve "rash guard" swim shirts ever since. I save a fortune on sunscreen.

In the parks, there's nothing better than silk aloha shirts.

MickeyLuv'r

For me, my hatred for the heat stems from clothing. If it’s hotter than 70°, I’m hot, and there’s nothing I can do as an individual (walking outside or entering a public place) to change that. But if it’s too cold, I can just throw on more layers. Obviously there’s a point where things just become miserable, but 98% of the planet probably doesn’t live where unbearable cold happens frequently.
Okay, I'll bite....

1. Cold air hitting my skin often makes me sneeze. Many sneezes, which makes my nose run. People mistakenly think I have a cold, which can be a pain.
2. Some people hate rough clothing tags, I don't mind most tags, but I loathe the feel of most synthetic fibers, like acrylic/polyester (sweaters). Adding layers is uncomfortable, and often = itchy/rash.
3. Outdoors, I'm okay in 50 degrees, but I much prefer temps over 70. I am even happier when it is 80-85.
4. Continuous AC blowing on me makes my skin sting.
5. Static/dry air of winter is another problem.

Unbearable is a matter of opinion. People have thrived in both desert climates and the artic.

I think we'd all do well to tolerate indoor seasonal temperature variations as much as possible, and limit artificial heat/cooling.

One other thing I know though is that we all have some ability to acclimate ourselves. It takes about 2 weeks in warm/cold months for our skin to shed and acclimate to warmer/cooler temps. Spending time outdoors is good for all of us.

One other observation is that pedestrians should not wear all-dark clothing when walking at night for safety.

Disstevefan1

As I watch the crew reshingle my roof in 85F degree heat I noticed all of them were wearing heavy long sleeve wool sweaters. I came to realize it was more important to protect their skin from the sun and the roofing materials than it was to be a little (cooler??) while on a very hot roof.

Skibum1970

If it's good enough for Dr Ian Malcolm it's good enough for me.

That's the first thing I thought of was good old Jurassic Park when he talks to Ellie Sattler. In the book, he even goes on that he finds wearing one color liberating as he doesn't waste time figuring his outfits out.

I tend to wear black slacks, an undershirt, and a polo at WDW or amusement parks. The slacks are cooling because they are a lighter material and I've never noticed a difference versus wearing shorts. The undershirt works to keep my outer shirt from becoming soaked but sometimes that is a bit much. Especially when golfing and I have taken the undershirt off. Of course, I'm cold if it is below 78 degrees and have lived in the northern climate most of my life. I just don't feel hot that easily. Biggest thing is some good sunscreen which helps me feel better.

correcaminos

I don't think 75 is all that warm. I'll wear whatever color I decide on that day for no real good reason. Sometimes if it is rainy I want dark clothes on just in case. I've also been known to wear hoodies of any color in the 80s and even 90s. Some of us just run cold. I don't judge what people wear no matter the temp. We live in the midwest (I have my whole life) my spouse is known for wearing shorts & t-shirts in the 50s so we're all different. I hate cold, spouse hates heat. Kid is in between oddly enough.

BASS

I wear black. It's neutral, so it goes with just about any pair of shorts. That way, when I pack, I don't have to think too much about what each outfit will be in advance. I can just pack a few shorts and neutral shirts and I'm set. Besides, I'm from South Florida. To me, there isn't any difference between a black shirt vs. a white shirt.

LeighM

What brands are your favorites? I’m looking for suggestions.

I like Columbia's PFG (performance fishing gear). Almost any brand that has UPF works well for me at WDW in the summer. Also, a lot of athletic brand's clothing are made for moisture/sweat wicking but you really have to know what cut/size is more comfortable for you.

NelleBelle

I like Columbia's PFG (performance fishing gear). Almost any brand that has UPF works well for me at WDW in the summer. Also, a lot of athletic brand's clothing are made for moisture/sweat wicking but you really have to know what cut/size is more comfortable for you.
Huge fan of Columbia's UPF gear...must have 3 shirts of the PFG I wear over a regular tank top when we go to WDW and now when we hit the beach here in Hawaii.

jaklgreen

Wear the black shorts, but skip the underwear. Let the breeze flow to keep you cooler. 🤣 I don't think that color matters, it is more the type of fabric. To me, a light colored jean shorts are so much hotter than black moisture wicking shorts. I do think that airflow makes a huge difference also and I always wear lose fitting clothing. I don't know how so many woman can walk around in those tight leggings all day in the heat. Things need to be able to breath.

Weather_Lady

I tend to wear black, brown, navy, or dark gray shorts or tops at WDW (even in August), but as others said, it's all about the fabric. My WDW outfits are made of fabrics that are moisture-wicking, breathable, and light as a feather, and I select styles that aren't tight-fitting or revealing (not for modesty as much as for comfort: any skin that I'm baring isn't getting the benefits of that cooling, moisture-wicking material, and has to get slathered in a layer of sticky sunscreen).*

I understand that scientifically, dark colors absorb more light/heat from the sun, and I did used to adhere to that idea in selecting vacation clothing, but as I've tried various outfits over the years, the only difference I've personally noticed between a white top and a dark one, for me, is that the white one makes me look way fatter in pictures! ;)

*Footnote: Off-topic, but in case anybody cares what I've found works best for my Mom bod (and my bargain-shopper mentality) in 90+ degrees: my favorite go-to shorts are black Duluth Trading Company "Dry on the Fly" shorts intended for boating and fishing, which are super-light and quick-drying, but are still tailored and have usable pockets. For shirts, I have a variety of breezy tech fabric short-sleeved tops (I try to look for ones that have interesting necklines or other details that set them apart from a typical tee) from Walmart, Old Navy, and L.L. Bean. If I want to wear something dressier, I have an L.L. Bean "Fitness Dress" made of tech fabric that is very cool and comfortable, as well as a black Athleta skort dress, designed for hikers. Some of those brands are admittedly expensive, which is why the pricier items were all purchased on eBay or off of clearance racks, at a fraction of the retail price. :)

Last edited:

Gringrinngghost

Are you one of the people who wear black clothes to the park on a hot day? I'm talking about black pants and/or black shirt or hoodie on a day that is above 75 degrees? Or even 90 degrees? Why? How?

Is it a fashion statement? Is it a medical condition? Are you from another dimension? Are you just plain wild and crazy? What possesses one to wear all black clothes when it's 85 degrees and humid?

I own bright clothing and dark clothing. Its just that my darker clothing outnumbers my lighter clothing by a good margin.

NelleBelle

I tend to wear black, brown, navy, or dark gray shorts or tops at WDW (even in August), but as others said, it's all about the fabric. My WDW outfits are made of fabrics that are moisture-wicking, breathable, and light as a feather, and I select styles that aren't tight-fitting or revealing (not for modesty as much as for comfort: any skin that I'm baring isn't getting the benefits of that cooling, moisture-wicking material, and has to get slathered in a layer of sticky sunscreen).*

I understand that scientifically, dark colors absorb more light/heat from the sun, and I did used to adhere to that idea in selecting vacation clothing, but as I've tried various outfits over the years, the only difference I've personally noticed between a white top and a dark one, for me, is that the white one makes me look way fatter in pictures! ;)

*Footnote: Off-topic, but in case anybody cares what I've found works best for my Mom bod (and my bargain-shopper mentality) in 90+ degrees: my favorite go-to shorts are black Duluth Trading Company "Dry on the Fly" shorts intended for boating and fishing, which are super-light and quick-drying, but are still tailored and have usable pockets. For shirts, I have a variety of breezy tech fabric short-sleeved tops (I try to look for ones that have interesting necklines or other details that set them apart from a typical tee) from Walmart, Old Navy, and L.L. Bean. If I want to wear something dressier, I have an L.L. Bean "Fitness Dress" made of tech fabric that is very cool and comfortable, as well as a black Athleta skort dress, designed for hikers. Some of those brands are admittedly expensive, which is why the pricier items were all purchased on eBay or off of clearance racks, at a fraction of the retail price. :)
I'll add to the "off topic" clothes that the Athleta skorts are awesome! I also really love some of the Brooks running shorts I have that are light weight and great at wicking! I also just found some awesome skorts for 32 Degrees at Costco that are super comfy, light weight and "cooling" that I stocked up on that will definitely come in handy for the next WDW trip!

SteveAZee

Premium Member
This thread falls into the category of mind your own business. If something or someone is not specifically causing you physical or mental pain, pay attention to your own group instead of attempting to be World Police. If someone wears black, that is their choice.
I'm not saying it's the case in this thread, but sometimes people ask questions because they hope to learn something from the exchange, particularly when it goes against preconceived notions.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom