People who wear black clothes on a HOT day

wdisney9000

Truindenashendubapreser
Premium Member
Original Poster
Are you one of the people who wear black clothes to the park on a hot day? I'm talking about black pants and/or black shirt or hoodie on a day that is above 75 degrees? Or even 90 degrees? Why? How?

Is it a fashion statement? Is it a medical condition? Are you from another dimension? Are you just plain wild and crazy? What possesses one to wear all black clothes when it's 85 degrees and humid?

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
It depends on your personal definition of "hot". Anything below 80 degrees to me is still long pants and jacket weather for me. It's what you're used to living in. Now if it's a concrete cave where the temperature and humidity is a constant, I know you're going to suffer when you touch the grass.

Goofyernmost

I think we are all programed to think that light colors are cooler. The reality is that it's not the color it's the fabric. If you have a fabric that breaths (lets air through it) the color doesn't matter. If the sun is beating down on you it will be the same temperature no matter what color. I know we are trained to think that light colors reflect the suns rays and they might but that thin piece of cloth is not going to make a whole lot of difference.

WorldExplorer

I once saw a whole group of people all dressed in fluffy looking Pokemon onesies on a hot day in the parks.

No black on them, but I felt like I was melting just looking in their direction.

Club Cooloholic

Are you one of the people who wear black clothes to the park on a hot day? I'm talking about black pants and/or black shirt or hoodie on a day that is above 75 degrees? Or even 90 degrees? Why? How?

Is it a fashion statement? Is it a medical condition? Are you from another dimension? Are you just plain wild and crazy? What possesses one to wear all black clothes when it's 85 degrees and humid?
As others have said fabric is important, but I try to avoid black too. That said, the heat in Florida is gonna abuse you regardless of dark or light clothing because it's the humidity that makes it so bad.

drizgirl

I think we are all programed to think that light colors are cooler. The reality is that it's not the color it's the fabric. If you have a fabric that breaths (lets air through it) the color doesn't matter. If the sun is beating down on you it will be the same temperature no matter what color. I know we are trained to think that light colors reflect the suns rays and they might but that thin piece of cloth is not going to make a whole lot of difference.
We are trained to think that because it's true.

Smooth

JIMINYCR

When I pack for a Dis trip I pack a variety of colored shirts and shorts. I try to coordinate the days colors for looking appropriate. My color wear includes black items. So why do I wear black? Because that’s the colored clothes that happen to be clean for that day.😅😅😅
Actually when I’ve worn black it has never felt any hotter to me than any other color. FL heat and humidity bothers me the same no matter the color.

No Name

On a really hot day, a black shirt will make you sweat a little more, but it’ll also hide the sweat better. Such is the duality of the black shirt.

I’ve never really cared too much about the color but I do very much find it crazy when people wear long sleeves in 70+ degree weather.

Patcheslee

I've been in the same job for 15 years with little AC in the summer, so partially use to it. Admittedly I've always been on the colder side, and it's normal for me to take a few hours to warm up if I do get cold- lack of having "insulation". Example yesterday was 60 degrees outside, I had: leggings, jeans, long sleeve undershirt, t-shirt, fleece jacket, and a coat the entire day.
One thing to mention is not everyone wants to spend extra money for clothing they won't wear multiple times a year. I'm in shorts maybe 4 days a year if we don't go on vacation, tank tops maybe 20 if it gets warm enough for me. I don't even want to get in a pool unless it's mid 90s.

Goofyernmost

When I first moved to NC from Vermont, I found the heat extremely punishing. In my apartment I kept the AC set at about 62 degrees and was still sweating (mostly because of humidity, I'm told). That first year the summer temps hovered between 95 degrees and lava. We had more than one day when the thermometer hit 106. That same summer my apartment complex replaced all the roofing and those guys, mostly Latino, were in heavy boots, jeans, flannel long sleeve shirts and big ole sun hats. How they didn't die is anybody's guess. Except for the hat, none of those things were light colored.

Goofyernmost

I never really cared to think about it that much.
Which is a very good plan. Most of what we perceive as discomfort is something that we mentally convince ourselves to think. Not that heat isn't uncomfortable any more then cold, but 98 degrees is 98 degrees and it doesn't really matter what color you are wearing. It matters on larger targets, like a roof on a building or a car, but for the smaller number of rays caught by a vertical standing person, it is much more mental than physical. So the full covering is probably more important then color. Just like extra clothing helps to keep the body warm, more clothing also insulates and theoretically should keep our bodies from overheating as well.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom