People who visit DW and complain about the walking...

LivFreeorDisney

Original Poster
This mostly happens when I read reviews about the DW hotels. But it just torques me off to no end. People walk all day long in the parks but when they have to walk more than five feet beyond the elevator they have a kitten and give the hotel a bad grade.

I'm a DVC member and my home resort is SSR and I love the resort but I get sick of people complaining that the resort is to big and that it takes a big whopping ten minutes to get to the main building.

I feel better now, please let me know how you feel about the complaining walkers or how I'm over re-acting.

Redsky89

I get carried everywhere I go like a prince so I don't know what your talking about. But in all seriousness I've never heard these complaints.

powlessfamily4

I refer to it as Disney Crank Syndrome(DCS) . This is a result of a person who over does it at the parks. They usually have over walked in new shoes on feet that are not used to walking long distances. This leads to resentment of the location of their room. My solution: Soak your feet in the soothing water of the lovely Disney pools before you call it a night. You will wake up feeling refreshed and the dogs won't bark so much later that day! DCS is common in people who do not prepare for Disney by getting “Disney Ready”. If you start walking several miles a day a few month before your vacation, in the shoes you will be wearing to the parks, you will not have any trouble with overly tired and blistered feet. ;)

Note: This is a joke. I do not want to hear about how you walk 20 miles everyday and still your feet ache only at Disney. :D

flynnibus

Premium Member
It's one thing to walk somewhere because it's somewhere you want to be heading to.. it's 'worth the effort'.

What people don't like is having to walk a ton at a hotel base solely on where their room is. It preys on the human psyche of 'why do I need to walk so far, when THOSE rooms are so close...'

Having the property so spread out and requiring people to walk to basic services (verse having services closer to you) is a valid complaint.

I mean.. you walk miles a day at WDW right? Using your logic, you should walk miles a day at home too to do something like go get food or get to your car and just be happy with it.

DisneyDebNJ

I really dont mind walking, does a heart good!!! (and by no means am I a fatty, presently a size 7, hoping to be a size 6 by the time our vacation comes up in Oct) However, there are those who have heart problems, or unfortunately, experienced a mini stroke and the walk has become a bit much. For that, Im sorry. But alot experience sciatica (very painful) or old football/sports injuries. Honestly? we all have complaints in one way or another, human nature. Mine? is when I pay $650 a night for concierge level and those who choose to stay in value resorts sneak in for a few meals. Sorry, thats a major pet peeve of mine. All I can say is those complaining about walking?? Thank God you can.

ExtinctJenn

I took my step-son's 19 year old girlfriend, who is skinny and fit, with us last year and even she complained about all the walking. It has nothing to do with your weight but rather more to do with how used to that much time on your feet you are. You could be the most fit person in the world but if the only exercise you ever get is riding a bike, your feet will probably hurt after 3 days of walking.

mollydtt

I love walking all over the parks and the resorts. Maybe it's just me, but when I'm there, I want to see/experience it all. I bring several pairs of terrific walking shoes, and even a pair of older, beaten up walking shoes that I don't mind wearing in the rain.
The best part is that I can eat all of those extra calories. Every day a new dining experience at Epcot, etc. My gosh, even ice cream! I indulge, because I know those calories are going to be walked off.
I realize that some of the hotels are pretty large, but Saratoga Springs has 5 bus stops. Surely one of those is near enough to the hotel room. (I've only visited Saratoga Springs and never stayed there, but I do remember the bus driver telling me the Artist's Palette was stop number 5)
I guess I, too, am one of those people that is grateful that I have enough stamina and can walk pain-free everywhere. As long as that remains true, I'm happy.

The Empress Lilly

I'm perfectly fit and slender, but dislike large, sprawling resorts. I come home after a long day of walking in the parks, and I want to grab a snack, and have a quick swim. If I have to walk ten minutes there, and back, each time, I am tempted to just not bother and flip on the tv instead.

spacemt354

Chili's
It's a culture shock in Disney. Most people aren't always used to walking that much at home. And it isn't just the walking, it's the whole package. It's walking around the park, then standing in line for an hour only to sit for maybe 5 minutes, then back to walking again, and repeating the cycle. Doing that for a whole day can get very exhausting, and that has nothing to do with an individual's weight. Then to top it off, at home people usually pull their car up to the driveway and walk into their home after being out all day. Yet in Disney, the bus stop maybe very far from your room, and you may have to walk further to get there. That culture shock plays into why some people may complain about being tired. But my family and I love the walking. It's great exercise and we usually try to walk everywhere we can. We especially like the walk from Beach Club to DHS along the water, and sometimes the walk is actually faster than the boat, so it's a win-win!

bhg469

I can't think of a better place to walk IMO. It is one of my favorite things about wdw. When I came to the parks this past spring one day solo all I wanted to do was walk. I did about 8 miles and other than missing my fiance I had a great time. There is just so much to take in and look at and I wish I could do it every day.

sgtmgd

It's one thing to walk somewhere because it's somewhere you want to be heading to.. it's 'worth the effort'.

What people don't like is having to walk a ton at a hotel base solely on where their room is. It preys on the human psyche of 'why do I need to walk so far, when THOSE rooms are so close...'

Having the property so spread out and requiring people to walk to basic services (verse having services closer to you) is a valid complaint.

I mean.. you walk miles a day at WDW right? Using your logic, you should walk miles a day at home too to do something like go get food or get to your car and just be happy with it.
No the logic is that not every room can be right next to the main bldg...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom