News People mover now reopened!

yensidtlaw1969

I’ve never measured it but I assume so.
Jeeze, how many years did fans cry out wanting a Lightcycle Ride, and now they've finally decided to give us one that does the bare-minimum and build it seemingly everywhere in all these places it doesn't belong??

Presumably that would also mark the end of the Monorail "Ramble" over the Autopia and Motorboat Cruise area? I remember hearing of a desire to reroute the track to complete a shorter, more direct loop.

EDITED To Add: I guess I can wipe my brow recognizing that it'll probably be a good, long while now before anything like any of this could come to light. Though I have to assume with the Subs being both expensive to run and not especially conducive to Physical Distancing that they may simply not resurface with the rest of the park . . .

DoleWhipDrea

Long term plans in two phases optioned Tron coaster with the removal of the subs and Autopia, repurpose of the carousel building, Star Tours overhaul/overlay and Buzz overlay. And removal of the overhead tracks.

Wow. So much to unpack. I apologize for the amount of questions I’m about to ask you.

In relation to the subs - I know the attraction is expensive to maintain, but do you know if there’s any truth behind the rumor that the lagoon is still leaking? I’d heard that that’s a big reason why they want to retire it. It’s not on the level of the original, but I’d still be so sad to see them go away. I’d like to see a theme park give the concept of visiting Atlantis a quality take in the present day.

That map put together by @yensidtlaw1969 shows just how careless that would look for the visual aesthetic of the park...you can’t put that giant building next to the Matterhorn!

I know adult fans always say that Autopia should go, but I’m surprised that it would actually be considered since it’s so popular. But obviously it takes up a ton of real estate.

Would repurposing the carousel theater be something of actual interest, or just another attraction to quickly get outdated?

Star Tours - would it stay connected to Star Wars, or now that Galaxy’s Edge is on the other side of town, there’s a new concept?

Good riddance to Buzz.

...and finally, has WDI completely given up on reviving the PeopleMover at Disneyland?

Homemade Imagineering

All I can say is not all of them do. Disneylands is lots of fun for any age.
Definately. I have nostalgia for pretty much anything at DLR, as it is my home park, and that includes the Autopia. I feel like removing it for something intrusive would be an incredibly stupid move. The subs and autopia work well in unison, and if they end up wanting to get rid of autopia, build something there that’s quiet, visually stunning, and maybe even original although that’s unlikely these days. Maybe something like a large garden with heavily themed elements.

yensidtlaw1969

Wow. So much to unpack. I apologize for the amount of questions I’m about to ask you.

In relation to the subs - I know the attraction is expensive to maintain, but do you know if there’s any truth behind the rumor that the lagoon is still leaking? I’d heard that that’s a big reason why they want to retire it. It’s not on the level of the original, but I’d still be so sad to see them go away. I’d like to see a theme park give the concept of visiting Atlantis a quality take in the present day.

That map put together by @yensidtlaw1969 shows just how careless that would look for the visual aesthetic of the park...you can’t put that giant building next to the Matterhorn!

I know adult fans always say that Autopia should go, but I’m surprised that it would actually be considered since it’s so popular. But obviously it takes up a ton of real estate.

Would repurposing the carousel theater be something of actual interest, or just another attraction to quickly get outdated?

Star Tours - would it stay connected to Star Wars, or now that Galaxy’s Edge is on the other side of town, there’s a new concept?

Good riddance to Buzz.

...and finally, has WDI completely given up on reviving the PeopleMover at Disneyland?
If we got a New Tomorrowland that updated the Subs, replaced Star Tours, reskinned Buzz, razed the Carousel Theater for a new attraction, put the Rocket Jets back on their pedestal, and gave us an Elevated Lightcycle Pathway through the land, I would sing its praises for eons.

-Lose Nemo, give us a genuine, mysterious underwater adventure. The subs themselves are what carries the ride these days
-Raze or reuse the Carousel Theater - it's a historic building, but at this point I can't even see the point of keeping it if they won't DO something with it
-New, non-Star Wars show in the simulators, or rip it all out and start fresh, I could settle for either.
-Retheme Buzz to something a bit more Tomorrowland-ish. Ideally lose the Target Practice element.
- Move the Astro Orbitor
- Lightcycle tour of Tomorrowland a la The Peoplemover - maybe use the Carousel Theater plot for part of this?
- Light re-skinning and repainting throughout the land; a contemporary re-imagining of Tomorrowland 67' would make DL'ers squeal with delight.

Wouldn't begrudge something better in the Magic Eye Theater, but I'm already asking for more than we'd ever get.

Space is basically fine. Though I'm still not happy with the extra cone they built on top a few years back. But, alas, that wasn't a design choice . . . and it shows.

yensidtlaw1969

Yesss @yensidtlaw1969 love all of this!

Wait, what cone?
Perhaps "Ring" would have been a better word than "Cone":

Before:

1600416813591.png

After:

1600416829103.png

yensidtlaw1969

All I can say is not all of them do. Disneylands is lots of fun for any age.
I secretly wish for a better use of the Autopia plot - one that still caters to a wide age range - but I'd permit its continued existence if it means the Submarines stick around.

If we gotta lose the Subs then you might as well throw the Autopia out with them. Which sounds like what they were thinking.

But losing an attraction as unique as the Subs in favor of TRON, a short, middling, lightly-themed Coaster, sounds like the worst trade on land in Disneyland history. Worse than Parking Lot to DCA, worse than Rivers of America to Galaxy's Edge.

I didn't love them shortening the Rivers of America, but at least it gave us Rise of the Resistance. Nemo isn't a grand slam, but the ride system has both history AND potential, neither of which should be squandered at Disneyland.

I wonder how close they ever got to ripping out the Subs to build Galaxy's Edge. It always sounded like that was a consideration.

yensidtlaw1969

I tried DL's autopia last year for the first time and wow, it's so much better than Tomorrowland Speedway at WDW, completely different feel and area to explore
SO much better at DL than at WDW. They seem to try to throw it the occassional bone at Disneyland, trying to add fun show elements and whatnot.

Meanwhile any time they touch it at WDW the ride ends up shorter than it was before.

Last edited:

DCBaker

Premium Member
"According to the internal Disney World refurbishment calendar, the Tomorrowland PeopleMover will be closed for refurbishment through Christmas. The Tomorrowland PeopleMover is currently listed as closed for refurbishment through December 26, 2020."

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom