People Angry Over Disney Dinning Plan

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
With the cost of the DDP dropping only $1.00 and the loss of the appetizer and tip is rediculus. The is a huge increase to the guest.

I really feel sorry for the wait staff. It must be tough right now during the changeover. As said by the OP they are most likely being shorted tips from people not knowing or trying to pretend they don't know.

Does anyone know if any signs have been put up in the restaurants explaining the new tipping changes??

Another note is that in 08' the DDE members using the card are now automatically paying 18% tip. The tip is shown on your receipts. We started seeing this in November. We were not aware of this and I wrote in a tip on the receipt and then noticed it was already added. It was no in all locations that we dined, but it did catch me off guard a couple of times.
I know a few Disney TA's and a few DRC CM's and according to them Disney was informing all guests that purchased the dinning plan of the changes at the point of sale. Weather that happened 100% of the time is anyone's guess. I'll speculate that it was forgotten a few times and it is even more probable that many guests simply did not listen to the changes and played the "No one told me!" card when they got the bill.

wannabeBelle

I am not terribly shocked that people are upset. I Am a tad surprised that the wait staff isnt more annoyed. Some people do tip fairly well, some not so well or not at all. Some others ( Out of country) dont have tipping in their restuarants at home and so therefore probably would not think to tip here, right or wrong. With a great dining plan which included an 18% gratuity for your wait staff, everyone, including Disney won. Now, I am not so certain this is true for 2008 anymore. Belle

New2WDW

My family and I have already booked for Fall 2008 and have added the Dining Plan again because even with the changes it still saves us money and the ease of use is still great for me.

I do agree that the tip should be added back in the way of 18% but I also think they should just cut the Appetizer and Dessert and if people want it let them pay for it, then there should be no more comments about being too much food! Most people seem to eat a TS entree each day anyway. Just like alcohol, these items probably should be extra as well. Me and my family do not drink alcohol and have not had to purchase additional items on top of our plan but I am sure many do that already.

I believe the benefit of the Dining Plan is the ease of use for your meals/tax/tip and your back out into the park!

New2WDW

With a great dining plan which included an 18% gratuity for your wait staff, everyone, including Disney won. Now, I am not so certain this is true for 2008 anymore. Belle

I thought I heard that the tip removal was caused by the workers union? Because of the time it took to get the tip thru their paycheck or something? :veryconfu If so, the blame should be aimed at the correct people.

daliseurat

I loved the old plan. It worked great for my family on all levels. Knowing about the changes, the new plan is still a decent deal for us, but the changes will definitely cause irritation for every table service meal. We love appetizers, not dessert. And having to figure the tip and pull out another card and then wait for the waiter to get that back to us... SORRY, but no. I'd rather pay more money and keep the lovely convenience. Glad to see the plan is backfiring already, but I feel bad for waiters who are going to bear the brunt of the storm. And not get tipped. Blame the union guys! Blame the union!

RiversideBunny

We tried the Dining Plan during our December 2007 trip.

We would not use it again though, even if they still included the tip and the apetizer. It was too much food and too much time tied up with table service meals.
We normally do a lot of counter service/food court, stay flexible, and just eat when hungry rather than at set times. We do include one character meal, such as breakfast at the Crystal Palace.

A odd 'problem' we found was the getting of desert with the counter service credit. We would not, on our own, order desert with counter service because it's just too much food.

It was fun to try the DDP. We visited several restaurants that we would not otherwise have tried (Boma, Coral Reef, Chefs de France).

In 2008 the math doesn't work for the DDP so that provides even more reason to go it on your own.

IMHO.
:)

JDM

We used the DDP in April 2007 and probably came out a bit ahead, so that was fine and the convenience was great.

But with the changes (without proper adjustment of cost), we won't be using it in the future.

Better (for us) to just order what we want and tip accordiongly.

Scooter

I'm one of those who would prefer to do away with the dining plan completely.
It's made walk ups impossible and my family likes to eat when we're hungry, not make dining plans months in advance. Disney has made this plan so complicated that it's slowing down counter service lines and upsetting a lot of people who think they are getting something for nothing.

Here's a new concept....Buy a meal, pay for it.
Not to sound rude, but I wouldn't dream of going on vacation unless I had enough money to pay for my meals.

I have practically stopped doing sit down meals because I got tired of listening to the table next to me arguing with the wait staff about the price of their (Not so Free) meals. That is of course if I can even get INTO a sit down restuarant. Now I pay 10 dollars for a meal at a Counter service place and leave no tip instead of $90 a meal at a Sit down meal where I used to leave a 20% tip. Sorry Disney Dining Plan genious creators...I win...and your plan loses.

PintoColvig

This change is typical Corporate Disney. They offer a great product with all the "little extras" and people buy into the product but then later on Disney figures that they can make more $$ by taking away the "little extras" while not reducing the cost. (i.e., taking away the free photo while raising the price for MVMCP). No one should be surprised by this. It is par for the course. :fork:

PintoColvig

I'm one of those who would prefer to do away with the dining plan completely.
It's made walk ups impossible and my family likes to eat when we're hungry, not make dining plans months in advance. Disney has made this plan so complicated that it's slowing down counter service lines and upsetting a lot of people who think they are getting something for nothing.

Here's a new concept....Buy a meal, pay for it.
Not to sound rude, but I wouldn't dream of going on vacation unless I had enough money to pay for my meals.

I don't hear anyone here saying that they are not wanting to pay for the DP. With the exception of those who take Disney up on the free Dining Plan in Sept., people are paying for it. The issue for me, as I said above, is that put this program out and then change it in a way that significantly and negatively affects the guest. It seems like it is never in the guest's favor. This latest change was a wrong move by Disney, plain and simple. If they were losing money on it then charge more for it. Would there be complaints about that? Of course but at least few people would think that something was being taken away. I like the DP mostly for its convenience. Pay up front--before the trip--and don't worry about it again. I especially love not having even to think about how much should I tip.

For my part, the changes I could live with are this:
  • Charge a little more for the plan if they need to improve profit margins
  • Instead of getting both an appetizer and a dessert, you choose one or the other (there was too much food to eat anyway)
  • Offer multiple choices for the plan (the original plan, an entre and drink-only plan, a Counter Service only plan, etc.)

If the plan remains as is, I'll probably opt for the Scooter plan. :D

VT GAL

I agree that the plan is not as good of a deal as before, but we opted to do it because...

1. It was an easy way to budget for meals (eventhough we know it won't cover everything)
2. Made us look more at a schedule, which would help us keep the same routine that we have at home with a little one
3. The DDP will still save us money in the end.

I wish that you could choose between appetizer and desert, too. However I am glad that you get to leave your own tip. I appreciate good service and will tip accordingly, but I feel sorry for the servers who don't get a table like mine. They will simply not make what they were used to making.

DisneySaint

Why are people in an "uproar" about it? No one is obligated to get it.

If anyone should be angry it should be the servers who are going to get stiffed a lot by cheap tippers and people who assume the DDP still includes gratuity.

This new Dining Plan is WHAT THE GUESTS WANTED! They complained the servers' service fell because they knew 18% was guaranteed. But we'll see who wins in this. If you ask me, it's lose/lose for everyone.

brich

So let me get this straight

Too much food...
Sit down meals take to long...
I only eat 1 meal a day and snack the rest...
We generally share a meal...

Ahhh, then why would you even get on the Dining Plan?
Is it me or are some of the complaints about the Dining Plan concerning things you should be aware of before even buying into it? :rolleyes:
In a matter of months I'll read posts from people complaining they won't do the Dining Plan again because the tip isn't included and you no longer get an Appetizer... :veryconfu

yodathefrog

I thought I heard that the tip removal was caused by the workers union? Because of the time it took to get the tip thru their paycheck or something? :veryconfu If so, the blame should be aimed at the correct people.

That's the reason I had heard as well, even from a few servers directly connected with the situation.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom