Pecos Bill Cafe closing for short refurbishment to launch new menu

Hrudey3032

Disney has hundreds of statisticians. Someone, somewhere has an Excel spreadsheet indicating guests want variety and that there is an untapped market for Tex mex. otherwise they wouldn't have done this.
Yes because of those same statisticians they have listened so well about the issues with the parks as a whole too. Again I am not disputing that some people want variety and I would be for that too but again I would add the options in first to see how well they actually do before completely changing everything.Maybe try the place next door that rarely is open and see how the new items did overall in a test run.

peter11435

Yes because of those same statisticians they have listened so well about the issues with the parks as a whole too. Again I am not disputing that some people want variety and I would be for that too but again I would add the options in first to see how well they actually do before completely changing everything.Maybe try the place next door that rarely is open and see how the new items did overall in a test run.
They did exactly that. Tortuga has been serving nearly this exact menu just without the extensive toppings bar. It tested very well so was implemented at pecos.

MinnieWaffles

I never said anything about facts now did I? You are the one who keeps spouting facts but yet you haven't shown one thing to back up your claims. One of my favorite places for ambiance was Peco's so because I disagree with something you think you are right? How about the people who never liked the fact that the trees on Main Street were cut down? How about those mad over Frozen taking over Maelstrom? What about Captain EO replacing Honey I shrunk the Kids? What's to say that MOST didn't want to see those changes based on the questionaires? I am saying I disagreed with the decision and explained my reasons why. If you do not like it so be it. Your happiness doesn't matter to me any more than obviously mine doesn't matter to you.

It's the removal of a awful fast food burger, good grief. You're far too invested in this.

Kman101

I have to admit I'm pretty surprised by the amount of people who want to wax nostalgia about a poor burger. This is why we can't have nice things. Nothing can get improved. Sorry it won't be Pecos that you get a burger but they still exist. All this over some poor tasting and high priced burger? I get the nostalgia but these are changes we need to be happy about. JMO. More area specific food is a good move.

AEfx

Precisely.

I'm a little foggy this morning so I can't come up with the famous quote that's on the tip of my brain, but basically - giving people what they say they want, or that they think sounds like a good idea/suggestion, is not always the answer.

For evidence of that, one need to look no further than MM+ which was designed based on the "Disney Moms" feedback of "Heck yes I want to plan out every minute of my vacation like it's a military operation!" and "Heck yeah I'd love to be able to book a FP months in advance!" Those no not actually represent the actual wishes of the average guest.

Virtually no one when asked is going to say, "No, I don't want more variety to choose from". But that doesn't mean that folks suddenly want big old burritos, either. There is a reason WDW sells a lot of burgers - because people like burgers quite a lot LOL.

I'm not against this, but I think it's not going to solve the problem. The problem is that there are too few dining options in the MK, period. It's astounding when you go to Disneyland and there is so much variety because there are so many different locations. And somehow, the individual locations at Disneyland are able to serve a larger variety of meals in each location.

It's also the choices they make. Hot noodles was never going to fly with the general public at a theme park in a hot climate which is why that didn't work out. Burritos really aren't much better. Folks compare this to Chipolte - and the folks I know that go to Chipolte generally say how bloated they feel after - which isn't a feeling folks are probably looking for, again, in a hot theme park. I think they are going to have a difficult sell with turning what is arguably the biggest (or at least ties for the biggest) and busiest counter service in the park into a gas factory...as an additional option, like Tortuga Tavern? Sure. But a huge portion of folks who eat lunch at WDW? Not so much, IMO.

In any case, again, I'm not against this - I just don't think it solves the problem, and I tend to wonder how many folks really are going to want heavy food like this instead of more standard theme park fare.

Kman101

Maybe folks should go a little more out of their comfort zone. I mean, a burrito has chicken and vegetables. How is that strange? I'm not sure why the mom brigade insist on burgers and chicken nuggets. Don't kids like variety? I know some kids can be extremely picky but I feel like we're really over-estimating the wanting a burger. I mean, these are first world problems here.

AEfx

They did exactly that. Tortuga has been serving nearly this exact menu just without the extensive toppings bar. It tested very well so was implemented at pecos.

Which is the heart of the issue - the message that says is if it's doing well, then keep Tortuga open year 'round. But that's not what Disney hears, because the bean counters would rather have fewer places open so people have to spend more time in line waiting for lunch, and keep costs to an absolute minimum.

AEfx

I have to admit I'm pretty surprised by the amount of people who want to wax nostalgia about a poor burger. This is why we can't have nice things. Nothing can get improved. Sorry it won't be Pecos that you get a burger but they still exist. All this over some poor tasting and high priced burger? I get the nostalgia but these are changes we need to be happy about. JMO. More area specific food is a good move.

Maybe folks should go a little more out of their comfort zone. I mean, a burrito has chicken and vegetables. How is that strange? I'm not sure why the mom brigade insist on burgers and chicken nuggets. Don't kids like variety? I know some kids can be extremely picky but I feel like we're really over-estimating the wanting a burger. I mean, these are first world problems here.

Anything discussed on this site is a "first world problem". It's a theme park.

This is one of those topics where it seems that the over-reaction to perceived over-reaction is more of a reaction than was had to begin with.

It's great you think this is wonderful - who knows, it may be hugely successful - but your posts are the most dramatic thing I've seen in this thread. Go, have your burrito and enjoy the bloated afternoon after. ;)

French Quarter

Do you honestly believe that a minority of the guests want to pay for a overpriced mediocre burrito?

First reviews of the new menu have been very positive. I have yet to hear anyone call the food mediocre.

Again I am not disputing that some people want variety and I would be for that too but again I would add the options in first to see how well they actually do before completely changing everything.Maybe try the place next door that rarely is open and see how the new items did overall in a test run.

Just a guess as to why they don't keep the burger on the menu:

A. A cheeseburger doesn't belong in a Mexican restaurant.
B. They want to improve quality of food, not continue to offer subpar food.

It's also the choices they make. Hot noodles was never going to fly with the general public at a theme park in a hot climate which is why that didn't work out. Burritos really aren't much better. Folks compare this to Chipolte - and the folks I know that go to Chipolte generally say how bloated they feel after - which isn't a feeling folks are probably looking for, again, in a hot theme park. I think they are going to have a difficult sell with turning what is arguably the biggest (or at least ties for the biggest) and busiest counter service in the park into a gas factory...as an additional option, like Tortuga Tavern? Sure. But a huge portion of folks who eat lunch at WDW? Not so much, IMO.

Yeah...I mean, who would eat Mexican food in a hot climate? LOL

Last edited:

AEfx

Yeah...I mean, who would eat Mexican food in a hot climate? LOL

Given that the majority of WDW guests are from colder climates than they are visiting, not as many as you would think.

My boyfriend is from Southern California, and last night when it was in the 50's here he thought it was freezing. I still had shorts on and he was wearing long pants and a coat. I asked him if he wanted mittens too...ROFL.

The environment you are used to has a great deal to do with your tolerances. When people are already in a warmer climate than they are generally used to, yeah, like I said - a big cup of hot noodles or a bloating burrito really isn't going to sell the same way to them.

peter11435

Which is the heart of the issue - the message that says is if it's doing well, then keep Tortuga open year 'round. But that's not what Disney hears, because the bean counters would rather have fewer places open so people have to spend more time in line waiting for lunch, and keep costs to an absolute minimum.
But it also makes sense to have places you can open when demand dictates. Having the same restaurant capacity on a day with 40k as a day with 80k would be silly.

AEfx

But it also makes sense to have places you can open when demand dictates. Having the same restaurant capacity on a day with 40k as a day with 80k would be silly.

It's only silly if you are a bean counter looking to eek out every last penny and reduce your workforce as absolutely much as possible while creating an environment of minimal guest satisfaction.

AEfx

Chipotle (and burritos in general) seem to sell pretty well all over the country...

I didn't say burritos were not a popular food item in general. Lots of folks go to Chipolte from where I work - and an hour and a half later, they all pay for it, too, LOL.

The question is, given what a large percentage of daily guests to the MK that Pecos Bills serves, and given the percentage of folks who are in an environment a good fraction warmer than they are generally used to, are they going to want to eat heavy Mexican food in between standing out in the hot sun and rides on Splash Mountain and Big Thunder? That's why hot noodles didn't work.

That's why I think having Tortuga open as another choice is such a great idea, but wholesale replacing the menu at one of the two most popular restaurants in the park may not be the best idea ever.

French Quarter

The question is, given what a large percentage of daily guests to the MK that Pecos Bills serves, and given the percentage of folks who are in an environment a good fraction warmer than they are generally used to, are they going to want to eat heavy Mexican food in between standing out in the hot sun and rides on Splash Mountain and Big Thunder?

I can't believe I'm going there but here it goes...

You keep describing Mexican food as "heavy" and making people feel "bloated" and "gassy". If the food has this effect on you, perhaps it is best that you avoid it. Sounds unpleasant. However, rice and chicken and veggies do not make me feel bloated or gassy or heavy. It makes me feel healthy and light. And this is normal food for a good many visitors. Hardly exotic dishes that shock the system.

Out of all the "keep the burger" arguments, I think this is the most ridiculous.

Last edited:

peter11435

It's only silly if you are a bean counter looking to eek out every last penny and reduce your workforce as absolutely much as possible while creating an environment of minimal guest satisfaction.
I have to disagree. Capacity must be scalable for something like this.

peter11435

That's why I think having Tortuga open as another choice is such a great idea, but wholesale replacing the menu at one of the two most popular restaurants in the park may not be the best idea ever.

Don't confuse "most popular" with busiest.

AEfx

I have to disagree. Capacity must be scalable for something like this.

Capacity can be scalable without having actual restaurant closures.

Again, the base problem is that MK doesn't have enough open food establishments, and changing around menus at the same limited locations with the same limited hours is not going to have that great an impact.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom