News Passholder Benefits Shifting

JohnD

I originally thought that low attendance caused the Silver and Weekday Select extension but, if the crowd levels at AK this past weekend is any indicator that attendance is down, I’m NOT buying that excuse at all for lifting 3 weeks of block-out period for those Passholders. The place was packed! We went to the last show of FOLK both nights and Saturday was to capacity and Sunday was nearly to capacity. Also, on one of the threads, someone stated that, because of the short notice, you wouldn’t even notice the change in crowd level due to the block-out dates being lifted and that too is NOT true. We saw far more Passholders then expected on a typical Sunday contributing to the excessive crowds. We asked several Cast Members including a phone call to Guest Communications Services, as to why the block-out dates were lifted and none of them knew…or at least weren’t willing to tell us. I now believe low attendance is NOT the reason. If EPCOT has low attendance, how is that surprising? Did Guests just now finally realize that there’s nothing there? We stopped going after Off-Kilter’s last day, except for a few select concerts in which we go for those only. IMO, there’s another reason, they’re just not willing to say.

Silver and Weekday Select are being thrown a bone for not being included in the special AP access to TSL in September. Gee, thanks WDW, for that stick in the eye. Can't go to special AP access in September and extension ends the day before TSL opens.

Brad Bishop

People complain about crowds, then when we get less crowds now that's apparently a problem. I don't get it.

I think on the surface it's easy to say that.

What people were mostly talking about before was:
- cuts in staff
- cuts in experience
- "cheapening" of things (like paper napkins instead of cloth at higher end restaurants)
- Dirtier parks / restrooms (I didn't experience it but I no longer go but there was more than one person who complained about this)
- up-selling everything / trying to squeeze every last dollar out of the guest with cabanas, etc.
- not keeping up with the rides (monorail - should have been replaced 10 years back and only now, when stuff is falling apart, are they looking into it)
- not repairing incidentals like fountains or effects
- little improvements to the parks over the decades

At the same time people were arguing against those points above with:
- It's a business! (I think that's the #1 go-to argument :) )
- Crowds have never been higher!

I think the main point most of us who were in camp #1 were trying to point out was that there's a lag to doing the cuts while doing the up sell stuff and that it would affect attendance in the future.

That being said, that doesn't mean that's what this is. Tourism, just in general, has banner years and really off/bad years (I remember this from working at an amusement park for a number of years as a kid). It's not always related to the economy, either. Sometimes you just have an off year. Economy is doing OK but, for whatever reason, people just aren't coming like they did the year before. Still, you have to invest in your business, keep things updated, and give people a reason to come back.

Sometimes that's a fluke or due to the economy and sometimes it's due to your business no longer pulling folks in like it used to.

SourcererMark79

In the Parks
No
Sometimes that's a fluke or due to the economy and sometimes it's due to your business no longer pulling folks in like it used to.
For every family that decides they're done with visiting the World, there are 2 more who are saving every penny to visit. Disney knows this. We know they know. But how they respond to these concerns is what becomes troubling.

MattM

I think what you’re seeing is that summer is not attractive for WDW travel anymore...it’s been heading that way for along time.
Considering data that comes in from Visit Orlando/others, future hotel bookings (CFHLA), Orlando International Airport traffic numbers, etc, there is absolutely no data to support that claim. Quite the opposite, in fact.

There is no reason to go to Epcot. I mean yes, you can drink but if you live in Orlando there are so many other places you can go. Epcot is on life support. What is saving hollywood studios is star wars.
Yeah. I didn't want to inflame feelings about Epcot, so I usually don't say anything about my experience there recently. My oldest son loved it. He enjoyed the rides and attractions before you get to the World section. My opinion? Nice, but is this a mall? I hated the frozen ride, liked the rides when you first come in, Club Cool was great, and food is good. They need a major overhaul. Not just in Epcot but the whole World.

I never thought I would say this but for the first time ever, I’m starting to prefer DHS over Epcot. Epcot has become truly such an unbelievably boring place. If it wasn’t for Spaceship Earth and ROE, I wouldn’t visiting. I know the new additions are controversial but lord I can’t wait for them to breathe life into that graveyard
What's roe?

John Holden

There is no reason to go to Epcot. I mean yes, you can drink but if you live in Orlando there are so many other places you can go. Epcot is on life support. What is saving hollywood studios is star wars.

Yes, you make a valid point on Epcot, however, I disagree about Hollywood. Epcot is a restaurant place with some interesting stuff. The food and garden show was a let down with few tasty food booths. There was never a line for most food and that was a plus. We usually took a taste and did not finish the food. I was at both places in May and stayed at Bay Lake. Hollywood Studios Star Wars was a big let down for me. Too many storm troopers, not enough eworks if you get me....too dark and not enough disney light. It may be an interesting theme and the 9:30 pm show is OK (really pretty bad), but Star Wars as presented is not a reason for me to go. There is nothing interesting for Star Wars when there could be sooooo much. Now if they had a ride like "Flight of Passage " for Star wars that would be an improvement to the already great rides at Hollywood. Hollywood is RRRC, TT and a great meal at Prime Time Cafe and can easily be done in no more that half a day. I wish they had better banter at the cafe....the waiters are down right polite.... not what I an used to!!! They have no shtick. An Fantasia is as good as ever, but I've seen it for years.

Librartist

Hollywood Studios is a waste of time until Star Wars opens in 2019. Now Epcot? Only 2 left are Magic Kingdom and Animal Park. That means the lines will be long at both. Cant get anywhere near Pandora.

maxlass

Attendance recently has been not meeting projections across WDW, causing concern amongst management. As a result, a variety of programs have shifted. The big one being that most Low level Passholders can now visit during June (up to the 29th). Also, due to low Epcot Lite (now without a Festival) attendance, Passholder magnets have moved from studios (the expected attendance bomb) to Epcot (the actual one).

TLDR:
Lower Level Passholders are un-blocked until TSL opens
Magnets Move to Epcot
Attendance caused these
Could the recent decision to charge for overnight parking at the resorts have anything to do with the attendance?

Sonconato

I concur. Last weekend Epcot, Studios and AK were very, very manageable. And empty at night. It was terrific for us!!
My experience at AK was completely different on Sunday. Kilimanjaro was a 65-minute wait from 5:30 to 9:30 and Festival of the Lion King was close to capacity. A few times the fastpass line for Kilimanjaro was out into Harambe Fruit Market.

Dr_dealio

Yep. My wife and I travel there frequently from BNA just to drink. Disney could open up more advantages to ‘Already’ DVC & Pass-holders without losing a penny and actually earning some cash from those of us who are cornerstones of the operation. But Disney’s greed is ing people off (us and other friend DVC’ers/Passholders we know). We ALL have cut back this year on the number of times we’ll visit to Once. Over pricing and limiting advantages makes me feel unappreciated for my faithfulness to the brand, so I don’t feel the least bit of pity.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Considering data that comes in from Visit Orlando/others, future hotel bookings (CFHLA), Orlando International Airport traffic numbers, etc, there is absolutely no data to support that claim. Quite the opposite, in fact.

Visit Orlando would cover the hundreds of hotels outside the Disney property that serve the million others tourist traps as well, would it not?

ThatMouse

I concur. Last weekend Epcot, Studios and AK were very, very manageable. And empty at night. It was terrific for us!!

I agree with that! In contrast, I can't get over what a failure MK is at night. Things start closing, pushing everyone to the front where it is impossible to move. Good luck getting any sort of drink or snack. I feel sorry for all those people at Casey's walking out with a tray of food trying to find an open place to sit down on the floor to scarf down their food. We end up escaping early and going to a resort food court on MK nights. Disney seems to have no intention on changing this as it herds people through the gift shop.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom