Parking fees at Resorts

Chi84

Premium Member
Oh that’s very serious. All major hotels and airlines keep files on past customers. Typically it’s linked to your loyalty program number but w/Disney it’s likely your MyDisney account.

If I were this person I’d be very concerned about being “trespassed” or banned from
Disney property. What they described in terms of how they avoided the parking fees is arguably theft of services/fraud and Disney is known to ban people who do such things....
The guy claims Disney responded to the theft of services/fraud by comping him $600 and upgrading his room.

Dad 2 M & M

Oh that’s very serious. All major hotels and airlines keep files on past customers. Typically it’s linked to your loyalty program number but w/Disney it’s likely your MyDisney account.

If I were this person I’d be very concerned about being “trespassed” or banned from
Disney property. What they described in terms of how they avoided the parking fees is arguably theft of services/fraud and Disney is known to ban people who do such things....
I was being sarcastic and should have said " did he really not know that" or "did he think he was enlightening anyone with that news" or even "did he REALLY just discover this"?
Yeah well call me skeptical.... regardless Disney absolutely does keep files and absolutely does ban people. All the time.

Records on file w/Orange County sheriff.
Note to anyone that has a dining ressie at a Deluxe Resort - Disney also keeps records on anyone that scans their Magic Band at a Deluxe Resort guard-shack (for parking at their dining ressie), and then uses the same band to gain park entry!

That is something asked frequently on all blogs. "Can I leave my car at the resort if I have a breakfast ressie, and then go to the Park that day"? If you scan your band at the guardshack, AND go to the Park afterwards, they know yo did it, they track it and it's in your "file".

Our file MUST be thick as many times as we've been. I'm sure they not only have every credit card, phone number, address, tag number of ours, but also of anyone ever traveled with us, ate a meal with a split bill and paid with their own credit card, etc......

TXRob

Not all of PR is tourist. And remember it's an island, not a separate city. San Juan would have parking at a premium. Go to where my family lives and hotels have free parking. It's not at a premium there.

Looking up hotels in Charleston half were free. Same for Savannah. Looks like the ones that do charge were in busier areas.

Even in Chicago once you are outside certain space premium limits, the parking is free. So while it could be 2hat you said, it always isn't. Plus as I said I think they should roll it in when space is not at a premium. If it is, then I get it as a deterrent form those who would park a car but really don't need one. Parking at most Disney resorts isn't at a premium outside of MK and Epcot. Even then as long as those staying are the ones parking, its not an issue.

Lived in River North Chicago for 7 years, literally have never seen free parking in the city. That’s totally incorrect. Hotel parking in Chicago is upwards of $25-30 a night.

correcaminos

Lived in River North Chicago for 7 years, literally have never seen free parking in the city. That’s totally incorrect. Hotel parking in Chicago is upwards of $25-30 a night.
You misunderstood me I think. I never said downtown. Outside the city (where space is at a premium) you can find free parking. I've always found places to stay with free parking and not far from transport in. Just not in the city limits where space is at a premium. I drive and stay often, though not probably much in the future since my good friends moved.

Lou Filerman

Cool...so vote with your wallet and don’t go anymore. i for one love it and will gladly pay more. Leaves more open spots for me when I park for 10 days each year.

I am Timmy

We were there a month ago, I found that you get charged the parking fee automatically - you have to tell them you DON"T have a car. They don't ask, so it's up to you to notice the charge and have them take it off, or tell them at check in. At least at Pop. I had 3 res. - an RO, a pkg., then an RO. The first RO receipt came to my email, so I went to the front desk to get a refund. I told them I had no car, why did I get charged? She told me it's automatic and up to me to let them know (and in the fine print online). Nice. 3 days into my pkg. res., I went to the front desk to check on it, those 3 days had parking added. Well, no. I had to do it again, they added the info. to my pkg. res. (was already supposed to be done), and told her to include my last RO res. All done. HA, no I wasn't. It STILL added parking to my last RO res., had to have it refunded. That seems like a lot of trips to the front desk just to make sure I'm not being charged for something I didn't use. And if people don't know this or notice? Disney gets extra money, I guess.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
We were there a month ago, I found that you get charged the parking fee automatically - you have to tell them you DON"T have a car. They don't ask, so it's up to you to notice the charge and have them take it off, or tell them at check in. At least at Pop. I had 3 res. - an RO, a pkg., then an RO. The first RO receipt came to my email, so I went to the front desk to get a refund. I told them I had no car, why did I get charged? She told me it's automatic and up to me to let them know (and in the fine print online). Nice. 3 days into my pkg. res., I went to the front desk to check on it, those 3 days had parking added. Well, no. I had to do it again, they added the info. to my pkg. res. (was already supposed to be done), and told her to include my last RO res. All done. HA, no I wasn't. It STILL added parking to my last RO res., had to have it refunded. That seems like a lot of trips to the front desk just to make sure I'm not being charged for something I didn't use. And if people don't know this or notice? Disney gets extra money, I guess.

drizgirl

That's ridiculous. Maybe they should just assume you eat 3 table service meals a day too, and have it up to guests to go get the offending charges removed.

John park hopper

Automatic parking fees charged and you have to tell them repeatedly you don't have a car at the resort in order to be reimbursed; is a new low for Disney if this is true. I can see someone bringing a law suit against Disney for this. People have sued for a lot less. May be that's part of the magic charges magically appear on your bill?

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
What fine print online are you referring to?

Chi84

Premium Member
This is the beginning of the end for them. For them to do something like this on purpose truly shows what they think of the customer.
I wouldn’t bury Disney just yet. I’m waiting to hear what fine print online the poster is referring to. With vast numbers of guests taking Magical Express or Uber/taxis and then using Disney transportation to get around, what business sense would it make to add parking fees to all those reservations and require the guests to go to the front desk to have them removed?

The poster didn’t say how he arrived on the property. We usually stay on DVC points, but DH and I had a cash reservation at POR in November. We drove our rental to the security shack, told them we were checking in, and were charged for parking, which makes sense. If we had been returning the car early or some such thing, we would have mentioned it. But I would need more evidence than one person’s unfortunate experience to believe the charge is added to every reservation regardless of how you arrive on the property.

Last edited:

I am Timmy

I wouldn’t bury Disney just yet. I’m waiting to hear what fine print online the poster is referring to. With vast numbers of guests taking Magical Express or Uber/taxis and then using Disney transportation to get around, what business sense would it make to add parking fees to all those reservations and require the guests to go to the front desk to have them removed?

The poster didn’t say how he arrived on the property. We usually stay on DVC points, but DH and I had a cash reservation at POR in November. We drove our rental to the security shack, told them we were checking in, and were charged for parking, which makes sense. If we had been returning the car early or some such thing, we would have mentioned it. But I would need more evidence than one person’s unfortunate experience to believe the charge is added to every reservation regardless of how you arrive on the property.
The "poster" is a she, not a he. As I see you have no trouble assuming I am male by my screen name, but require evidence to everything else. I arrived on property by Uber, as I fly from Wa. state and am unwilling to drive my own car. I am not referring to any fine print online. I am referring to what I was told at concierge at Pop Century by a CM when I asked her why I wasn't prompted about this at online check in. I told her there was nothing anywhere during online check in asking me if I would have a car. She replied that there is no prompt online, but the information about automatically charged was in the fine print online. If you are disputing this, well, I have no proof that this is what happened since I did not ask her to prove it. I did ask her to remove the charge, however. Again. And Disney knows if you have a car on property - I wasn't asked for "proof" that I didn't have a car, it was simply refunded. All 3 times. What else do you need to know?

Chi84

Premium Member
The "poster" is a she, not a he. As I see you have no trouble assuming I am male by my screen name, but require evidence to everything else. I arrived on property by Uber, as I fly from Wa. state and am unwilling to drive my own car. I am not referring to any fine print online. I am referring to what I was told at concierge at Pop Century by a CM when I asked her why I wasn't prompted about this at online check in. I told her there was nothing anywhere during online check in asking me if I would have a car. She replied that there is no prompt online, but the information about automatically charged was in the fine print online. If you are disputing this, well, I have no proof that this is what happened since I did not ask her to prove it. I did ask her to remove the charge, however. Again. And Disney knows if you have a car on property - I wasn't asked for "proof" that I didn't have a car, it was simply refunded. All 3 times. What else do you need to know?
Nothing at all. I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience, but I think your post may be interpreted by some to mean you were told Disney automatically adds a parking charge to every reservation at one of its resorts, and that people are informed of that online. I've looked through the online information and there's nothing about automatic charges. It wouldn't be the first time someone received questionable information. Also, where the internet is concerned, asking for evidence is kind of a good thing . . .

I didn't mean to offend you by misrepresenting your gender - just used "he" instead of "he or she" or even worse, "they."

It's been my experience over the years that, while Disney often (maybe too often) makes mistakes, their policies usually make sense. I was just pointing out that adding a parking fee to every reservation regardless of whether or not the guest has a car to park doesn't make good business sense.

Last edited:

Alice a

If you want free parking at a hotel in Charleston, you pretty much have to go across the bridge to Mt. Pleasant. But then, of course, you can’t just walk to things around downtown and you’ll just end up paying for a parking garage spot somewhere anyway.

Try living in the historic district with no driveway. Street parking, which I pay for via an annual permit, is hit or miss- you can't park in another district, even if that district is the next street over, high-tide flooding knocks half of the possible spaces out of the running, monthly street sweeping means moving your car or risk a large ticket and a tow, and any kind of entertainment production also means your car will be towed.

Tomorrow some movie starts filming, and I have to beg a friend to park in his driveway or pay for parking in the nearest garage, 9 blocks away, if I can't grab one of the few remaining spaces on the street. But I get it- I live in a high density city confined to a small peninsula. WDW values and moderates have the blessing of space.

eliza61nyc

Try living in the historic district with no driveway. Street parking, which I pay for via an annual permit, is hit or miss- you can't park in another district, even if that district is the next street over, high-tide flooding knocks half of the possible spaces out of the running, monthly street sweeping means moving your car or risk a large ticket and a tow, and any kind of entertainment production also means your car will be towed.

Tomorrow some movie starts filming, and I have to beg a friend to park in his driveway or pay for parking in the nearest garage, 9 blocks away, if I can't grab one of the few remaining spaces on the street. But I get it- I live in a high density city confined to a small peninsula. WDW values and moderates have the blessing of space.
lol outside of the flooding I would ask if you live in Philly :)

Same deal, I buy a resident parking sticker to park on the street and it's no guarantee of a spot. lol

eliza61nyc

This is the beginning of the end for them. For them to do something like this on purpose truly shows what they think of the customer.

Naw, Disney is not stupid. they will evaluate every thing as usual. if they find this parking fee has a real negative effect (which I doubt it will,) they will simply reinvent the situation.
I'd worry more about a recession than a parking fee

disney4life2008

Naw, Disney is not stupid. they will evaluate every thing as usual. if they find this parking fee has a real negative effect (which I doubt it will,) they will simply reinvent the situation.
I'd worry more about a recession than a parking fee

Actually a recession was a win for us. Remember in 2009, you got $50 dollar gift cards and they substantially reduced costs.

disney4life2008

For those NOT personally affected through job loss or loss in income, recessions are a FABULOUS time to visit WDW. I've experienced the parks literally so empty you cannot see another person, and prices 50% or more off of what was happening prior to recession. Great memories.. ;)

Wow we said the same thing. I don't wish job loss on people but that period of 2008 and 2009 was fabulous at Disney!

Dad 2 M & M

Nothing at all. I'm sorry for your unfortunate experience, but I think your post may be interpreted by some to mean you were told Disney automatically adds a parking charge to every reservation at one of its resorts, and that people are informed of that online. I've looked through the online information and there's nothing about automatic charges. It wouldn't be the first time someone received questionable information. Also, where the internet is concerned, asking for evidence is kind of a good thing . . .

I didn't mean to offend you by misrepresenting your gender - just used "he" instead of "he or she" or even worse, "they."

It's been my experience over the years that, while Disney often (maybe too often) makes mistakes, their policies usually make sense. I was just pointing out that adding a parking fee to every reservation regardless of whether or not the guest has a car to park doesn't make good business sense.
The charge appears if a Magic Band is scanned to gain entry to the Resort. The Magic Band would only allow those staying at that Resort to buzz through the "right hand side" entrance (opposite the guard shack) vs having the guard buzz you through. That is how they know peeps are parking a car and thus being charged a fee. I can only assume @I am Timmy used a Magic Band to allow the Uber ride through the Pop Resort Gate...and apologize if I'm incorrect. If this IS correct, it shows an issue with the assumption a scanned Magic Band = Overnight Parking by the Guest. This would not be the case in the Uber example in this thread.....or the taxi example you mentioned earlier.

From our most recent experiences (at Pop and All-Star since Parking fees were added), we were charged the parking fee and it was tracked by buzzing through the Resort gate(s). The Magic Band would not work at the Gate until we checked in at the Resort, so initially, we had to get buzzed in by the Guard. This sounds the same as when you checked in at POR.....This was even after if we did Online Check-in.

I could be wrong, but I don't recall having to have the Guard let us through in past if we used the Online Check-in.......

Last edited:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom