Parking fees at Resorts

monothingie

Evil will always triumph, because good is dumb.
Premium Member
I'm just anti "Disney owes me an affordable vacation" or they are "greedy" because now there is a charge for something I use. I've said many times, I am absolutely sure that at some time I will get to the point that I feel what they offer is not what they are charging for it, or I simply can't afford it. At that time I'll sell and go some place else but here's the thing anywhere else I go will most likely be doing t he same thing.

I think you are conflating "affordable" with "value". I don't think anyone here is under the illusion that Disney is "affordable". But I do see many people (myself included) having issues with the value of what is currently being offered. Higher Crowds, Service, Hours, and Entertainment cuts coupled with higher prices does not translate into increased value.

eliza61nyc

Yeah because... that model is what BUILT the company... and you’re suggesting that simply being like everyone else (counter to the company’s success pattern) is the answer... No wonder you clash with other opinions.

You literally are suggesting giving up what made you successful...
no, but you can change the way you are successful. the way you were successful in 1979 does not mean it will work in 2109.

Lol, I already know I clash with other opinions, I like Toy story land. That alone is enough to get me tar and feathered around here.

I don't have any problems clashing with other opinions. LOL as Aunt Frances says. "My darling girl, when are you going to realize that being like everyone else is not a virtue, in fact it some times denotes a lack of courage"

How dull it would be if everyone agreed.

Last edited:

flynnibus

Premium Member
no, but you can change the way you are successful. the way you were successful in 1979 does not mean it will work in 2109.

Except... it was working. The motivation for change was to post continuous growth numbers - not drops in the business.

How dull it would be if everyone agreed.

I didn't say everyone needs to agree - but don't be suprised when people don't fall in behind you...

daisyduckie

I think you are conflating "affordable" with "value". I don't think anyone here is under the illusion that Disney is "affordable". But I do see many people (myself included) having issues with the value of what is currently being offered. Higher Crowds, Service, Hours, and Entertainment cuts coupled with higher prices does not translate into increased value.

I don't think higher prices need to equal increased value. It would be great if it did, but every time I go shopping I'm reminded it doesn't.

The question is, are you happy with the product that is being offered? If the answer is yes, then continue to buy it. If not, then spend your dollars somewhere else. And let them know about it.

daisyduckie

In all my years of staying at WDW I have never had a problem (pre parking fee) finding a place to park at any resort that I was staying at. I don't see that as a valid argument to justify the parking fee.

I have. Though I think it would be fixed by them simply checking who is parking, handing out time tags, and trolling the lots looking for violators.

Demarke

Have I told you lately that I 👍 you?
Premium Member
To play the devil's advocate here, in 1979 you had to pay one price for general admission, then pay another charge for an 8 attraction booklet with tickets split between A,B,C,D,&E, (so if the A's and B's didn't interest you, you might be paying for tickets you won't even use), then pay for additional tickets on a per experience basis if you wanted additional.

I can't imagine the outrage that would occur in 2019 if Disney said, "hey everybody, we are going to now charge everyone to get into the park, then we are going to charge you for a set book of tickets that forces you to go to a certain cross-section of levels of attractions, then charge you more on a per ride basis if there are more things you want to do once you've used those up!"

flynnibus

Premium Member
To play the devil's advocate here, in 1979 you had to pay one price for general admission, then pay another charge for an 8 attraction booklet with tickets split between A,B,C,D,&E, (so if the A's and B's didn't interest you, you might be paying for tickets you won't even use), then pay for additional tickets on a per experience basis if you wanted additional.

And to debunk the devil... the 'pay as you go' model also included prices that represented their fractional value. The admission price was low, and you had consumption based pricing. That is not like today's situation where you had a 100% price, that simply had new charges tacked on. That would be more like... 'hey, we're adding ticket books ON TOP OF today's admission price"

monothingie

Premium Member
I don't think higher prices need to equal increased value

Higher Prices are one component of the "value" equation. If they raised prices and correspondingly increased hours, perks, etc., the "value" for some may be increased. (You are getting more for paying more) Conversely the opposite is true. (Getting less and paying more). It's a balancing act that so far has not been handled well by P&R.

Why? Because people are reacting negatively to it.

This board is made mostly of WDW fans, we are the outlier in comparison to the general public, so our commentary and reaction should be treated as such. TWDC will continue to do what they're doing because the market continues to bear it. Plus with SWGE they probably think they are untouchable. But with every up comes an eventual return to reality. Not to say TWDC is going to go under, but a rude correction is probably coming. (At least for P&R).

John park hopper

Disney is following the toilet paper business model------ charge more for smaller rolls and less plys and most people don't even notice

Last edited:

Chi84

Premium Member
I was being sarcastic and should have said " did he really not know that" or "did he think he was enlightening anyone with that news" or even "did he REALLY just discover this"?

Note to anyone that has a dining ressie at a Deluxe Resort - Disney also keeps records on anyone that scans their Magic Band at a Deluxe Resort guard-shack (for parking at their dining ressie), and then uses the same band to gain park entry!

That is something asked frequently on all blogs. "Can I leave my car at the resort if I have a breakfast ressie, and then go to the Park that day"? If you scan your band at the guardshack, AND go to the Park afterwards, they know yo did it, they track it and it's in your "file".

Our file MUST be thick as many times as we've been. I'm sure they not only have every credit card, phone number, address, tag number of ours, but also of anyone ever traveled with us, ate a meal with a split bill and paid with their own credit card, etc......
I wouldn't be surprised if Disney kept some type of statistics on the number of people parking for dining and then going to a park, just to see how much of a problem it is. The number doing so properly by paying for valet would probably be too small to matter. I don't know about dinging a "personal file" for that behavior. I don't doubt that Disney keeps files though - they probably have some guests who are so negative, demanding and downright problematic that Disney would be happy to see the last of them.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
Higher Prices are one component of the "value" equation. If they raised prices and correspondingly increased hours, perks, etc., the "value" for some may be increased. (You are getting more for paying more) Conversely the opposite is true. (Getting less and paying more). It's a balancing act that so far has not been handled well by P&R.

Why? Because people are reacting negatively to it.

This board is made mostly of WDW fans, we are the outlier in comparison to the general public, so our commentary and reaction should be treated as such. TWDC will continue to do what they're doing because the market continues to bear it. Plus with SWGE they probably think they are untouchable. But with every up comes an eventual return to reality. Not to say TWDC is going to go under, but a rude correction is probably coming. (At least for P&R).
But that model assumes that the default state is equilibrium where people are getting exactly their dollars' worth from a WDW vacation. If that were the case, everything you're saying would be true.

But, for example, if a Disney vacation offers 10 "units" of value for 7 "units" of cost, consumer behavior isn't going to change just because Disney raises the price to 8. People will complain because they're getting less surplus utility than they used to, but they're going to continue to pay.

monothingie

Premium Member
Yet they are trying to reduce consumption! They wanted that publicity. Iger is talking openly about crowding. Yes, that means they want people to stop coming altogether or stop coming as often (certain people who can’t/won’t/don’t spend enough $$).

For those that can no longer afford it or can’t come as often it’s (I guess) sad, but that’s capitalism. For those that can afford it, fewer people equals better experience.

Yeah stick it to those poor people who clog up the parks in masses. Why? Because Capitalism!

Your statement is uninformed and wrong. At WDW, AP holders stabilize the park attendance and ensure a consistent visitor base. If there are waves of non renewals because of price increases, you may have fewer people in the parks, but you will also have further cuts and price increases to compensate.

monothingie

Premium Member
Why the insults? “Uninformed?” Really? Are you an insider risking your job on here? Highly unlikely....

I’m drawing from publicly available information where the company has stated plainly a desire to reduce crowding at both US resorts through a combination of price increases and capacity growth - Star Wars land in particular with regard to capacity. In California the focus does seem to be on reducing APs but in Florida the same goal is accomplished through higher ticket prices, seasonal pricing, less discounting of resorts, etc.

Rather than simply copying information relayed from others, or the bus drivers, or someone’s friends friend, why not cite actual sources such as media reports, public filings, interviews, etc?

I find it funny you are parroting the suites and seemingly oblivous to what is actually happening.

I’ve read the same filings and interviews you have, yes they have publicly said they want to use price to weed out the lower margin guests and ease up on crowding and add capacity (LOL). But even with this, the prices and crowds keep going up, the services and perks keep going down.

Why?

Because they are perfectly happy with having the parks over crowded. In fact they are so reliant on having the parks maintain their crowd levels, when they have had percieved “slow downs” they will bend over backwards via cuts/promotions/etc. to get people back in the parks. (13 for 12 APs, AP Room Discounts, early free dining, early promotions, etc). Their responses to slowdowns show that they are not serious about reducing crowd levels, they are only willing to test the boundaries of price increases. When they overstep they try to walk it back to get those parks crowded again.

Further, they are fully able to monetize the fact that the parks are so crowded. One example of this, is the increaseing number of hard-ticket park events marketed solely to avoid the crowds, (and interestingly enough reduced park hours as well). Additionally they are even getting “greedy” by bumping up the attendance limits on these events, so your experience in the events marketed to avoid crowds is getting more crowded.

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
To be fair, there's a lot of disagreement about that. I think new Disney attractions are at an all time high in terms of quality/immersion. Of course, maybe you liked Paradise Pier in it's original incarnation, or Disney Studios Paris, or HKDL when it opened, or.... Those WERE the days!!!!

As for GMR good lord it had it's run. Let's see something new and different.... it's not a historic site, a museum, or a national park.
Busy tonight aren’t you? Don’t you normally just lurk?

monothingie

Premium Member
Suites? I assume you mean "suits". And yep, the information they put out is vastly more accurate than that of Armchair-CEOs, Monday-Morning-Quarterbacks, and Conspiracy Theorists.... all of which run rampant on these boards.

Why? If you know anything about the SEC (no, NOT the Southeastern Conference), or about securities law in general, then you'd know that purposefully misleading the public about material information/strategy (stuff that could influence someone's investment) is a very big no no. The "suits," as you call them, are way too intelligent to risk their fortunes by running afoul with the SEC.

So yes, I take them at their word in terms of their current strategies as discussed. They are NOT free to say whatever and then do the opposite - despite what you might think. For anyone truly serious about learning how publicly traded American companies work, I highly suggest learning about the laws and regulations I just mentioned.

You must be fun to be around at social gatherings.

The Empress Lilly

Suites? I assume you mean "suits". And yep, the information they put out is vastly more accurate than that of Armchair-CEOs, Monday-Morning-Quarterbacks, and Conspiracy Theorists.... all of which run rampant on these boards.

Why? If you know anything about the SEC (no, NOT the Southeastern Conference), or about securities law in general, then you'd know that purposefully misleading the public about material information/strategy (stuff that could influence someone's investment) is a very big no no. The "suits," as you call them, are way too intelligent to risk their fortunes by running afoul with the SEC.

So yes, I take them at their word in terms of their current strategies as discussed. They are NOT free to say whatever and then do the opposite - despite what you might think. For anyone truly serious about learning how publicly traded American companies work, I highly suggest learning about the laws and regulations I just mentioned.
So you mean no suit would ever announce, say, an attraction - a major $100 million plus investment - and then simply not follow up on his word?

Dad 2 M & M

I wouldn't be surprised if Disney kept some type of statistics on the number of people parking for dining and then going to a park, just to see how much of a problem it is. The number doing so properly by paying for valet would probably be too small to matter. I don't know about dinging a "personal file" for that behavior. I don't doubt that Disney keeps files though - they probably have some guests who are so negative, demanding and downright problematic that Disney would be happy to see the last of them.
My intuition tells me they are at least able to pull data on anyone based on credit cards, phone numbers, Magic Bands, ETC and do so as needed...... I would agree with you a true "file" is probably only for those problem peeps.....and when those problem peeps show any actively, bells might go off

Dad 2 M & M

Yes. And this is nothing new. Resort guests have ALWAYS been able to park at the theme parks for free.
Back in the day we were under the impression that "parking slip" they gave us at checkin was just for "registering" to park at the resort. Had no idea that would get us included/embedded parking at the Parks.....
I bet many people did not and do not know that ;)
I can tell you we did not know that, and have been going to the World for decades......

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom