Park opening at Disneyland?

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
Does disneyland and california adventure have a park opening ceremony like the wdw parks do? We didn't remember one from last time, but were only there for a few days so we might have missed it.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Does disneyland and california adventure have a park opening ceremony like the wdw parks do? We didn't remember one from last time, but were only there for a few days so we might have missed it.

They have a countdown at the turnstiles... and depending on the time the park opens.. they'll open the gates 30mins prior to park opening.. and let you go all the way up to the hub. Then have the rope drop at each of the hub spokes into the different lands at park opening time.

And the countdown at the turnstiles will have a family help open the park, etc

njblackberry

Having just returned from our first trip to DL (we go to WDW 4-5 times a year), they do NOT have an opening ceremony like they do at WDW.

On Monday we were there at 8AM, and there was one guy counting down.
On Tuesday we took advantage of EE, and at 7AM there was not even a countdown.

lilclerk

They have a countdown at the turnstiles... and depending on the time the park opens.. they'll open the gates 30mins prior to park opening.. and let you go all the way up to the hub. Then have the rope drop at each of the hub spokes into the different lands at park opening time.

Yup, it's pretty cool, and (I think) they played some music from the parade =) But Main Street is INSANE for that half hour before they open the lands. I had to squeeze myself into a corner shop window to drink my coffee and try really hard not to get run over by strollers.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Having just returned from our first trip to DL (we go to WDW 4-5 times a year), they do NOT have an opening ceremony like they do at WDW.

On Monday we were there at 8AM, and there was one guy counting down.
On Tuesday we took advantage of EE, and at 7AM there was not even a countdown.

Maybe you were there after an event?

Did you go into the park 30mins before park opening?

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
It's funny that you all say you can get into Main Street a half hour before park opening. When we were there in May of 2004, we had to wait in a long line to get into the park that didn't start moving until just about park opening time. So they must not have been letting people in Main St early. However, they did have some big going on at the castle when we finally did get in (we didn't wait around to see what, we just moved around them and into tomorrowland) so maybe that had something to do with not letting people in early.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
Try not to have a heart attack when you see the lines for the turnstiles at DLR.

Get there early if you can, the lines get scary long. It's their whole ticket setup and the AP's having to be visually verified. For every ticket a CM takes it from you and runs it through the gate, so extra gates aren't open unless there are CMs. It's really kinda stupid.

20-30mins to get through the turnstiles (nevermind security) is a low-ball safe estimate at all but the slowest times of the day.

flynnibus

Premium Member
???

When I was there.. the lines were all the way out to the monorail beam at park opening.. and it took just minutes to get through the lines.

The scan people nearly as fast as you can walk through the turnstile.

Disneyfalcon

After many many trips I have a tip about the lines. Some of the turnstiles are positioned directly in front of tree planters. People don't see that the turnstile is open until they get close and then they break off from their line and form really short lines that keep replinishing. People in the back see the really short line and assume their line is feeding two turnstiles. They are not. Each turnstile has it's own line. If you see a super short line in the front, usually in front of a planter, go get in it. It's a line, it's not cutting. We have saved so much time by just doing a little extra looking.

Does that make sense?

mouselvrmom

Original Poster
After many many trips I have a tip about the lines. Some of the turnstiles are positioned directly in front of tree planters. People don't see that the turnstile is open until they get close and then they break off from their line and form really short lines that keep replinishing. People in the back see the really short line and assume their line is feeding two turnstiles. They are not. Each turnstile has it's own line. If you see a super short line in the front, usually in front of a planter, go get in it. It's a line, it's not cutting. We have saved so much time by just doing a little extra looking.

Does that make sense?

It does! Thanks, Tammy! I will try it! :)

Nicole220

Does that make sense?
Totally makes sense, I did that today.

Thank you for the advice, it really works!

IROC it

BTW- just to follow up.. this tip from DisneyFalcon worked... but also, it wasn't very long to get in even lining up almost to the midway point in the entry plaza.

The one thing I found after getting past the bag check at the DTD boundary is this... Go all the way through the first "herd of sheep" that stop at the first line they come to... go in about half way through the plaza, and those lines are faster because they are not as packed in.

Then, unless you are FIRST in line (by getting there say an hour before opening) and you want to get to the subs first... go left! No one at all in line at Indy or anything over on that side of the park.

The subs were great "crowd control" for all of the other rides in our experience.

Gotta love those "new" rides.:animwink:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom