News Park attendance showing significant softness heading into the Fall 2018

Disneyhead'71

Where do you find these numbers? Are numbers for WDW available?
Of course not. Disney keeps such things very close to the vest.
The GSAT scores are an internal metric that isn't supposed to get out. But they often do when things in the online community are amiss. Like the communities perception that Fallon is a fail. It's not. So the actual number is "leaked". They don't want F&F's GSAT out there because mid-60s for a brand new big budget E-Ticket based off of one of Universal's biggest franchises is a massive FAIL. And the online communities over the top reaction to the closing of Sindbad is laughable considering that it has the lowest GSAT at the resort and almost always played to a theater less than a 3rd full. They were litereally getting around 1000 peeps per day. And yet, the online community went ballistic.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
If Florida tourism is up and so is occupancy at Orlando value hotels but attendance at WDW and UO are down, then there can be only one destination that can be taking up the slack...

1536870118113.png

Disneyhead'71

If Florida tourism is up and so is occupancy at Orlando value hotels but attendance at WDW and UO are down, then there can be only one destination that can be taking up the slack...

View attachment 313073
Just a note about the numbers, Universal was down slightly this past summer. The combo of F&F failing to draw guests and Disney bringing less people hurt them. But HHNs looks to be on pace to be a record year, while Disney is rumored to be off by around 30%. It appears people are over Food and Wine Fest.

UpAllNight

Disney World won’t be 30% down people will buy tickets late when they know a hurricane isn’t on the way, after what happened last year and is predicted to happen this.

UpAllNight

Locals, maybe, but out-of-towners? I'd guess that's not very likely.

I’m from the UK I wouldn’t risk 3 days of my holiday by booking during hurricane season when the experts have predicted more hurricanes. I’d like to hope Americans would have the common sense too to think about the potential impact of the weather, when it costs so much to book and alter.

Princess Leia

Fallon has one of the highest GSATs at the resort (87%). It is "Fake News" that people hate it. Because people repeat things on the internet a lot doesn't make it true.

F&F's GSAT is in the mid 60s. Sindbad's is around 43%.
Do you happen to know the info for other attractions? I’m just curious

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
I’m from the UK I wouldn’t risk 3 days of my holiday by booking during hurricane season when the experts have predicted more hurricanes. I’d like to hope Americans would have the common sense too to think about the potential impact of the weather, when it costs so much to book and alter.

So.... Florida tourism should shut down for the 6 months of hurricane season?

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member

I think you give many Americans too much credit. ;) I personally wouldn't want to book a trip from September thru mid-October, due to the risk of hurricanes, but that's me. That being said, my mother is taking my oldest two down there in mid-October, so I am definitely hoping for quiet weather during that time.

UpAllNight

I think you give many Americans too much credit. ;) I personally wouldn't want to book a trip from September thru mid-October, due to the risk of hurricanes, but that's me. That being said, my mother is taking my oldest two down there in mid-October, so I am definitely hoping for quiet weather during that time.

Haha...I’m not saying I wouldn’t go during that time as I’d love to see the Halloween stuff at Universal , but if I was in America I’d definitely delay my decision until as late as possible. This is when all aspects like financial and logistics with time off work, are taken into account. Coming from the UK, I wouldn’t risk it at all...it doesn’t pop up on our radar at all as a time to book. Time is precious when you’ve planned so much and spent so much. Even if we were heading down for 3 weeks which we’ve done twice, 2 or 3 days wiped off that isn’t fun

UpAllNight

Irma was virtually Central Florida's first true hurricane in a decade. I can see why that could possibly be making people skittish about it again this year after having been on such a dry run previously.

Everybody saw the satellite image of 3 or 4 hurricanes brewing at the same time last year. That must provoke a more cautious approach to those who live a little less carefree, or atleast a moment to reflect if it’ll be worth the risk for money they’re about to spend....and it is just risk...it’s likely they’ll be fine. Or you could go in February-June and eliminate/reduce significantly the chances of you bring one of those that spends a fortune to be locked up in a hotel.

monothingie

Proxy War 2024: Never Forget
Premium Member
Irma was virtually Central Florida's first true hurricane in a decade. I can see why that could possibly be making people skittish about it again this year after having been on such a dry run previously.

In all fairness, the Hurricanes can happen in July, August, October and November also. Based on what @MisterPenguin showed with October booking, it's probably not the hurricanes being a primary factor.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I feel like we're quickly jumping to conclusions. From what I can tell, we have maybe two years of a fall slump, and people are saying it's a response to bad practices.

It might be. It might not be.

An attendance fall can have different causes, and I don't think you can track a trend with just two years. If this happens more and more over the years, then we have a downward attendance trend. I could be missing something, but so far this softness doesn't seem to be a sign of things to come.

I believe your complaints are valid but don't allow your grievances to guide you to the wrong answer or worse.

What different is that everyone is telling you the economy is “great”...

Never before have “soft bookings” and “great economy” been on the same map. That’s not how travel works...it’s boom
And bust.

Something ain’t right

winstongator

The GSAT scores are an internal metric that isn't supposed to get out. But they often do when things in the online community are amiss. Like the communities perception that Fallon is a fail. It's not. So the actual number is "leaked". They don't want F&F's GSAT out there because mid-60s for a brand new big budget E-Ticket based off of one of Universal's biggest franchises is a massive FAIL. And the online communities over the top reaction to the closing of Sindbad is laughable considering that it has the lowest GSAT at the resort and almost always played to a theater less than a 3rd full. They were litereally getting around 1000 peeps per day. And yet, the online community went ballistic.
Touringplans has ratings on their site, both their own and user ratings based on age. I’d imagine they’re similar, but touringplans may not get a representative slice of guests.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom