Parent's Magazine Stroller Tip--yay or nay?

mnfootballmommy

So, my PARENTS magazine arrived yesterday with an entire section devoted to tips for Disney with kids. I have heard of most of them, but there was one that caught my eye--Pay for your stroller rental for the entire trip to avoid standing in line daily. I know that you would just have to show your receipt each day, but wouldn't you still have to stand in line to get to the window? Has anyone tried this? Is it really a "yay" or more like a "nay?" :veryconfu (Those of you 'stroller haters' need not respond! :animwink: ) Thanks!

slappy magoo

I'm a stroller hater but I'll keep down the bile for now. :D

I don't have a kid, but from what I understand, the real time-killer is paying for the stroller, and the line to actually get a stroller is practically assembly-line smooth. It might be different if they came in lots of different shapes and sizes and colors, but with a dearth of options, it's pretty quick.

Upvote 0

TopRowSeat

Paying up front is a definite Yay!

As the poster above states the wait is in paying. Picking up your stroller is virtually instantaneous, even at park opening it was only a few seconds wait.

Upvote 0

CleveRocks

So, my PARENTS magazine arrived yesterday with an entire section devoted to tips for Disney with kids. I have heard of most of them, but there was one that caught my eye--Pay for your stroller rental for the entire trip to avoid standing in line daily. I know that you would just have to show your receipt each day, but wouldn't you still have to stand in line to get to the window? Has anyone tried this? Is it really a "yay" or more like a "nay?" :veryconfu (Those of you 'stroller haters' need not respond! :animwink: ) Thanks!
Each stroller rental place has 2 parts, the place where you wait in line to pay anbd the place where you show your rental pass and pick up a stroller.

There are 2 main advantages to paying for a multi-day rental. The first is that when you pre-pay for a multi-day rental you get a $2 per day discount off the regular price. The second is that you never again have to wait in the "pay" line ... you just go right to the pick up area; you show them your rental pass and they stamp it with that day's date (if it hasn't already been stamped earlier that day). I've never seen a line for picking up. I've seen a small gaggle of people who get dispersed in 4 seconds because the strollers just keep getting rolled out.

If you return to that park later that day or go to another park later that day, you show your same-day-stamped rental pass to the CM at the pick up area, and you're on your way.

It's really a HUGE no-brainer once you know about it. Your choice is to wait in line every day AND pay more, or skip the line every day (except for your very first time) AND pay less.

Please post if you have any more questions. I left out some details that aren't necessarily relavant to your question, but may be interesting nonetheless.

Upvote 0

mnfootballmommy

Original Poster
I am all about great travel tips, etc. Share all you like!
We were just at WDW in 2004, but the DD(2.5) was not born yet, so we didn't have to deal with strollers (and bile) at the time. Our the 5-year-old niece was with us, but her folks took care of that stuff.

I knew about keeping the stroller receipt for park hopping, etc., but never even thought of paying in advance. The hubby is thrilled with this and is even willing to stop by and pay for it our first night, even though we won't hit the parks until morning. We both agree that the extra money we would spend doing that would be worth not standing in line in the morning.

This is our first major trip with the DD (besides to family) so any tips or info is greatly appreciated. I am an "over planner" so I have my lists going, piles already stacked, etc., for our DEC. trip! I appreciate all of the feedback!

Oh, and Slappy--I've got my eye on you! :animwink: Tread lightly you darn dirty ape! (j/k) Your posts make me laugh, so bile or no bile, you are alright in my book! :D

Thanks again folks--keep it coming!

Upvote 0

MojoMax

We have a kid, became addicted to the ease of renting as their strollers are very nice and easy on the parent to push. To your question...Most certainly yes to this. It will save you time, and even a couple of bucks. In my eyes, a no brainer now for us. :cool:

Upvote 0

Dwarful

Ok I happened to notice that you are going in Dec. 07. When exactly in Dec are you going? The reason I ask this is because during the busy peak time from Dec. 24 to Jan 1st they do not offer the multiday discount option. However, if you are there on Dec. 23rd you can still take advantage of that option.
(we did not know this until our trip in Dec. 06)

Upvote 0

imamouse

I don't take Parents mag (my boys are 15 & 21), but did the tips article include taking along some padding for the hard Disney strollers? An old blanket, some beach towls, anything that you wouldn't cry about if it got *ah hem* lost :lookaroun . Kids don't have any meat on their bottoms and it looks like a rough and bumpy ride.

Upvote 0

kwhdmd

My best advice is to bring your own stroller from home that reclines, so your child can take a nap more readily in the parks and you can leave them in their strollers while waiting for Disney transportation. Tons better than carrying them for 25 mins while waitingf or a bus!

Upvote 0

Abbyjoe

The first year we went, we took our stroller from home. AWFUL experience! Trying to get it folded up on the bus was a night mare....people were giving us ugly looks :( and my hubby had to ride with it on his lap most of the time. UGH!

Last year we rented for the whole 11 days. It was great just going to the stroller pick up counter. We would highly recommend it. I was afraid I would lose the vouchers at first, but I just kept them with my tickets and it was fine.

Upvote 0

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
I'm a stroller hater but I'll keep down the bile for now. :D

I don't have a kid, but from what I understand, the real time-killer is paying for the stroller, and the line to actually get a stroller is practically assembly-line smooth. It might be different if they came in lots of different shapes and sizes and colors, but with a dearth of options, it's pretty quick.
*secretly wishes that slappy will be the father of sextuplets so he has to push around a 20' long stroller at WDW.*:lol:

Upvote 0

mnfootballmommy

Original Poster
Ok I happened to notice that you are going in Dec. 07. When exactly in Dec are you going? The reason I ask this is because during the busy peak time from Dec. 24 to Jan 1st they do not offer the multiday discount option. However, if you are there on Dec. 23rd you can still take advantage of that option.
(we did not know this until our trip in Dec. 06)

We are going Dec. 2-8. The DD will be 2 months shy of her third birthday, so we get the 'perks' of a three year old with the price tag ("FREE") of a two year old! :lol:

We had considered taking our own stroller, and still flip-flop on it a bit, but usually come back to "no" on that. Just don't want to deal with the hassle, etc. I mean, we are splurging to stay at the Contemporary just for the convenience of being justthatclose to MK. Besides, the stroller might just be for us--the DD can walk the entire Mall of America with very few breaks, it's the hubby and I who want to sit and rest! (Ah, the price of being an 'older' parent!):D

Upvote 0

Dagger

I didn't read all the responses, but from what I remember, paying up front is also cheaper at 8 dollars per day vs. 10 if you pay daily (I think)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom