Parental Superiority at Disney Parks...

Dads 2 Boys

I have a good story that was on our trip in 2007. It was only our (my and my ex-wfe's) 2nd trip and first since 1996 and we were taking our kids for their first trip ever (yes...while divorced but that's a whole 'nother story).

We weren't aware of this site and others to gain knowledge and make sure to line up at least an hour for Spectro. We figured we'd head over to Casey's about 45 mins before the parade, get dinner and get a spot for the parade. I know, I know.....we were "stoopid" but didn't know better. When we got over to Casey's we realized there was nowhere to sit by the curb, we talked about walking over to Liberty Square to see if there are spots there b/c it our own fault for not knowing and getting there early enough to see it on Main St.

An extremely nice woman with 2 kids right @ the corner outside of Casey's heard us and insisted we sit next to them. She was so insistent and I even said no twice b/c I did not want to interfere with her family's enjoyment. My ex-wife took the kids over to sit (kids only) while I went into Casey's to get food. We were right inside the rope and let our kids sit while we stood behind them. The woman actually moved her stroller for our boys!!! I was incredibly appreciative of her generosity and when the vendor with the spinning light thingy, I offered to buy her kids one (but she politely declined).

I would never have thought of just imposing and pushing my kids to the front b/c of my ignorance. Doing the right thing (in this case by not shoving my kids past those who were waiting) will get paid off in some form and in this case it was paid off almost immediately.

GoofGoof

Premium Member
I have a good story that was on our trip in 2007. It was only our (my and my ex-wfe's) 2nd trip and first since 1996 and we were taking our kids for their first trip ever (yes...while divorced but that's a whole 'nother story).

We weren't aware of this site and others to gain knowledge and make sure to line up at least an hour for Spectro. We figured we'd head over to Casey's about 45 mins before the parade, get dinner and get a spot for the parade. I know, I know.....we were "stoopid" but didn't know better. When we got over to Casey's we realized there was nowhere to sit by the curb, we talked about walking over to Liberty Square to see if there are spots there b/c it our own fault for not knowing and getting there early enough to see it on Main St.

An extremely nice woman with 2 kids right @ the corner outside of Casey's heard us and insisted we sit next to them. She was so insistent and I even said no twice b/c I did not want to interfere with her family's enjoyment. My ex-wife took the kids over to sit (kids only) while I went into Casey's to get food. We were right inside the rope and let our kids sit while we stood behind them. The woman actually moved her stroller for our boys!!! I was incredibly appreciative of her generosity and when the vendor with the spinning light thingy, I offered to buy her kids one (but she politely declined).

I would never have thought of just imposing and pushing my kids to the front b/c of my ignorance. Doing the right thing (in this case by not shoving my kids past those who were waiting) will get paid off in some form and in this case it was paid off almost immediately.

Good story. And it was a lady with a stroller!!!! If you listen to people on this board parents with strollers are just below Satan himself on the evil scale.

StupidJudy

I don't mean to offend but it sounds like common sense, short people in front, tall people in back. Exactly how does a 40" tall child standing in front of you block your view of the parade?

And yes, I let children in front of me for viewing parades, fireworks, characters, shows, etc. all the time.
I think the OP's point is that parents will shove their kids in front of you like they have the right to do so WITHOUT ASKING. That is so awful, I would let any child stand in front of me but when a parent pushes their child in front of me without even acknowledging my existence it is SO RUDE. Especially since they then have to stand near their child to supervise so they are basically using the child as an excuse to show up at the parade last minute and crowd everyone instead of waiting to get a good spot like most other people do.

awoogala

this is why I am thankful we have so far avoided most of the parades. I won't waste 2 hours sitting for a parade, and I refuse to deal with the jockeying for position. Once or twice we tried to watch the parade with our kids. We usually happen on to them, watch a few minutes, then go on a ride. I never try to go up front.
6 foot men regularly shove their way in front of my kids, and I am not the type to take it quietly. I am afraid of ending up in a fist fight, honestly. I never put my kids in front of anyone, and I don't understand the cutthroat parade behavior at all.
We tried to see the Jungle parade and my husband(standing about 5 feet from the front, since we were late)was actually shoved, with my son on his shoulders, by someone trying to rush up front (an adult again, no kids).
Another time we happened onto a good spot, and someone tried to push past me. ;-) A man, again...this time thinking his bulk would clear the way for his family. Not so lucky for him, I used to play roller derby, so when he tried to elbow past the "little woman" he hit a brick wall of me standing still. He looked a little dazed.
I think again, people with kids has not been problem at all. I think it's just people (some with kids) trying so hard to get more or feel better or superior to everyone else.

ParentsOf4

Everybody just "has" to watch the parades from Main Street but the space is so limited there. We always watch from Frontierland. (We also watch Wishes from Torrowland.) In my experience, crowds are much mellower once you get away from Main Street & the Hub. Better yet, there's no need to camp out for an hour or longer for a good spot most of the time.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
I'll offer kids the right of way, if they're not being hellians, but that's a courtesy I choose to offer. It doesn't mean parents should just assume their ankle-biters are gonna win them a good seat.

ExtinctJenn

The bottom line is anyone can be rude... adults with children, adults without children, teenagers, elderly folks, married couples, single people... rudeness knows no bounds. Generalizing it as always being a parent with a stroller or someone from another country or saying that only people who have kids "get it" or only people who have lived through hardship "get it" etc. is all just babble to me. It all comes down to one thing... regardless of your age, your status in life or whether you have children, rudeness is just unacceptable and everyone has the capacity to love Disney if they let themselves be immersed in the magic. Treat others as you would like to be treated and this world would be a much better place.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom