Parent swap changes...

orky8

Whining about explaining to children why they can’t all ride with Grandma and then all ride with Grandpa is, indeed, an example of histrionics. It’s absurd.
Irony much, as some might say your post is histrionics?

Histrionics - exaggerated dramatic behavior designed to attract attention.

I don't think it's histrionics to be upset about Disney taking away something that used to bring magic to families and as a family of 5, it certainly was nice that both my wife and I could ride with our kids. Likewise, I think Disney's new policy is extremely fair and reasonable, so it is what it is. IF they weren't changing their policy to allow themselves to sell more fastpasses, I'd personally have no problems with the change whatsoever. The only part that bothers me is, to me, this is just another example in a long line of recent examples, of Disney taking away something that used to be free and benefit families so they can extract more money from their guests. Taking away MDE is another real blow to families with small children.

mgf

There’s no way you can I can be looking at some of the same posts and perceiving them as calm, level-headed discourse.

While there are plenty of level-headed posts, we’re reacting to a very specific tone that’s completely disproportionate to the situation.

Whining about explaining to children why they can’t all ride with Grandma and then all ride with Grandpa is, indeed, an example of histrionics. It’s absurd.

🤷‍♂️ - Ok.

Magic Feather

IF they weren't changing their policy to allow themselves to sell more fastpasses, I'd personally have no problems with the change whatsoever. The only part that bothers me is, to me, this is just another example in a long line of recent examples, of Disney taking away something that used to be free and benefit families so they can extract more money from their guests. Taking away MDE is another real blow to families with small children.
On the bright side, this change is more about increasing Stand-By capacity for the overburdened parks at the moment. That said, I’m sure that adding capacity for future paid FP was viewed as a perk.

orky8

On the bright side, this change is more about increasing Stand-By capacity for the overburdened parks at the moment. That said, I’m sure that adding capacity for future paid FP was viewed as a perk.
I'll have to take your word for it (I mean that seriously, as you would know better than me). But I'm very dubious that the conversation wasn't the inverse and that the perk is increasing standby capacity while the change was preparation for paid FP.

Magic Feather

I'll have to take your word for it (I mean that seriously, as you would know better than me). But I'm very dubious that the conversation wasn't the inverse and that the perk is increasing standby capacity while the change was preparation for paid FP.
I’m sure it came up and was a factor. It just isn’t the only, or even main, factor, or else this change wouldn’t have come for another month or two.

rct247

Most definitely because of abuse. The use of Rider Switch has increased significantly without Fastpass. That's where they learned just how much abuse was occuring.

Now if in the future every ride requires a paid FP or a VQ saying you're in line to begin with, that'll really cut down on the Rider Switch abuse. Can't claim you're swapping if you never got in line to begin with.

Missing20K

This entire board is filled with “histrionic” posts, so complaining about a posters “tone” seems pretty “histrionic” to me.

Histrionic statement (overly dramatic for attention):
“New rider swap changes are the best and if any of you think otherwise you’re wrong”

Hyperbolic statement (exaggeration for effect):
“New rider swap changes are absolutely awful and Disney should be ashamed because they are bad for certain families”

If you can’t spot the difference, I can’t help you.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming…

Missing20K

I’m sure it came up and was a factor. It just isn’t the only, or even main, factor, or else this change wouldn’t have come for another month or two.
Was the main factor giving DIS more data about how the guests tour the park? So that they can allocate resources more “efficiently” when they know the location, destination, meal times, etc., of every guest in every park 24/7?

DonaldDoleWhip

This entire board is filled with “histrionic” posts, so complaining about a posters “tone” seems pretty “histrionic” to me.

Histrionic statement (overly dramatic for attention):
“New rider swap changes are the best and if any of you think otherwise you’re wrong”

Hyperbolic statement (exaggeration for effect):
“New rider swap changes are absolutely awful and Disney should be ashamed because they are bad for certain families”

If you can’t spot the difference, I can’t help you.

Back to your regularly scheduled programming…
Virtually no one here has responded with the former - most "supportive" posts have been fairly nonchalant about this change being reasonable enough. I'd never even thought of parent swap having issues until this thread brought it up.

That said, I stand by the fact certain levels of snark and whining are uncalled for here - simply comes across as entitled. If you can't spot the difference between "eh, makes sense" and "what will each grandparent do?! how magical," I can't help you either.

Last edited:

icc2515

Agreed. All you have to do is watch the FP lane at any of the attractions and you will see a steady (and growing) stream of people entering that lane. I read Facebook posts all the time with people asking "If there is no FP, why are there so many people using the FP line?" The answers are usually Golden Oak residents (I mean how many of them can there be on any given day spread over 4 parks), Club 33 members (same comment as Golden Oaks residents), return for broken down rides, child swap, and DAS. Sometimes at FOP, it seems like the FP line is letting more people in than the standbye. All Disney Mgmt has to do is stand there for a couple of minutes to figure out how many people are utilizing the FP lanes when there is no FP. I think that a whole lot of people have figured out how to get fast passes when there are no fast passes and Disney Mgmt is taking note. That lane should be virtually empty, relatively speaking. My guess is that they will continue to come up with more and more restrictions for that lane before paid FP comes into being bringing that lane down to just a trickle. Then the paid FP will truly be a great experience (especially with the lack of all the people that claim they will never ever pay for a FP)

Missing20K

Virtually no one here has responded with the former - most "supportive" posts have been fairly nonchalant about this change being reasonable enough. I'd never even thought of parent swap having issues until this thread brought it up.

That said, I stand by the fact certain levels of snark and whining are uncalled for here - simply comes across as entitled. If you can't spot the difference between "eh, makes sense" and "what will each grandparent do?! how magical," I can't help you either.
That’s my point. There aren’t histrionic posts. There are many hyperbolic posts.

But it’s all opinion, no? One man’s histrionics is another’s hyperbole.

I wouldn’t call this “nonchalant” but you might…
However, everyone who is angry here, deep down, knows they were cheating. No one should be getting free re-rides unless only one child in your party is tall enough. I understand the frustration, but nothing unfair is happening.
I haven’t been to wdw in 13 years but ya I’ve been cheating the system. Gimme a break.

But hey fair enough.

DonaldDoleWhip

I wouldn’t call this “nonchalant” but you might…
Fair enough - I actually agree with the sentiment in that post, but "everyone knows they were cheating" is definitely a hyperbolic claim.

Most of us aren't speaking in those terms and I don't agree that using the perk as described was cheating, just as I don't agree it was cheating to use FPs late when cast members openly told guests you could.

That said, expecting a special courtesy to never change even when it's detrimental to most other groups in the park is entitlement. Was the same with late FP - I didn't try to use them late once things changed, and it immediately became clear the new method would benefit anyone with a late return window, including potentially me. It wasn't just nefariously grasping for straws that would make the parks less enjoyable.

disneygeek90

This has given me a great idea for a new app... "AirBaby".

People can list their baby for daily rental to make extra income, and people coming on vacation can rent a baby for the day to get repeat rides.
1626450194399.png

Chi84

Premium Member

People can list their baby for daily rental to make extra income, and people coming on vacation can rent a baby for the day to get repeat rides.
I don't know. That could definitely be a seller's market at WDW ;)

DonaldDoleWhip

It was suggested earlier in the thread people were doing this with disabled people, back in the day of instant front-of-line access. Wild.

Honestly, you wouldn't have even needed to go that far - just have someone rent a wheelchair or ECV and feign a limp when boarding / exiting the attractions. Thank goodness they buttoned that up.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom