Parent swap changes...

Weather_Lady

I realize the new system is less advantageous in terms of free rerides for 2 instead of 1 (which was a bonus of the system that some abused and then bragged online about their "hacks," which is probably part of the reason for the crackdown), but your party will still get to ride, and nobody will have to wait a secod time, ride alone, or wait alone.

Last edited:

Homer fan

Original Poster
So kids won't get to ride twice. One goes with each parent. Isn't that the whole point of it?
I agree on a ride with 2 seats side by side, because the extra person definitely takes up more room, but for a ride like Tower of Terror, I don't think the extra kid is that big of an issue. Plus, my kids would like to both ride with both parents, its part of the experience to go on rides with everyone in your party.

LSLS

I actually think this makes a ton of sense. If you think about that most rides/coasters have 2 seats, you are taking an extra row up using 3 people. I mean, if you have 2 kids riding, couldn't you have 1 kid go with one parent and then the other rider swap with the parent?

James Alucobond

I agree on a ride with 2 seats side by side, because the extra person definitely takes up more room, but for a ride like Tower of Terror, I don't think the extra kid is that big of an issue. Plus, my kids would like to both ride with both parents, its part of the experience to go on rides with everyone in your party.
But where does this end? What if you have four children? Five? Six? I just don't think the system was meant to work this way. If I have two of riding age and one not, one would get to ride with mom and one would get to ride with dad while we traded watching the third plus one. We could swap who goes with whom next ride. It wouldn't occur to me to allow them to skip the line multiple times and jam everyone else up.

orky8

As a family of 5, I don't like this change, but it's also understandable IF the system was being overly abused. For us, the old version worked perfectly, as we have 2 kids tall enough and 1 not, so each parent would get to ride with the taller kids as a family unit.

What I really don't like, though, is I think that this change is less about the aforementioned abuse, and more about Disney not wanting to give away for free any more "fastpasses" than absolutely necessary, since they will soon cost $10-$20 a pop.

mysto

I think rider swap affects their ability to estimate demand vs throughput, so they're trying to reduce it to make their models more accurate. If you have a fastpass they know when you'll arrive in advance, for rider swap they don't until you request it.

Rider swap is not algo friendly.

doctornick

I realize the new system is less advantageous in terms of free rerides for 2 instead of 1 (which was a bonus of the system that some abused and then bragged online about their "hacks," which is probably part of the reason for the crackdown), but your party will still get to ride, and nobody will have to wait a secod time, ride alone, or wait alone.

Yeah, this seems perfectly fair. Not that there was anything wrong with the previous system, but it's not like this is "unfair" or unreasonable. Now a family of 5 (and one smaller child) would more likely use it the way it was intended: one parent rides with older child A while the other parent/child B/too short to ride child wait and then second parent and child B ride.

Dan Deesnee

So much for enjoying rides with both your kids.

As someone pointed out, this is most definitely a change they are making in response to the soon to be announced monetized fast pass system, and nothing else.

Little by little they are killing the family experience. Magic Kingdom already dropped to 9th place. Wonder where it will be in 2 years.

I also disagree completely with people who say Disney is just after people who earn high incomes. You can't do that when your product is an enormous series of resorts and theme parks all in the same general vicinity. They are simply arrogant and think they are untouchable. That people, poor to rich, will come no matter what.

They'll learn some hard lessons over the next 5 years.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

What I really don't like, though, is I think that this change is less about the aforementioned abuse, and more about Disney not wanting to give away for free any more "fastpasses" than absolutely necessary, since they will soon cost $10-$20 a pop.
I think you're right. It seems like the ways people used to abuse the old system (at least, those I saw presented online as the best ways to game it) were: (1) double the rides -- e.g., not actually swapping anyone at all, but having the same family members ride twice while the others, who never cared to ride in the first place, "waited" for them both times; and (2) multiply Fastpasses by obtaining them only for those riding the first time and then swapping out to other family members without anyone having to wait in standby, and then using the second group's Fastpass entitlements to do the same thing at another attraction.

Disney couldn't care less about those kinds of abuse when it wasn't hurting their bottom line, even if some guests complained about it. Now that they're (allegedly) going to monetize the process, they don't want to leave a dime on the table.

kong1802

As a family of 5, I don't like this change, but it's also understandable IF the system was being overly abused. For us, the old version worked perfectly, as we have 2 kids tall enough and 1 not, so each parent would get to ride with the taller kids as a family unit.

Yeah same boat here.

It was nice to be able for my wife and I each to enjoy a ride with the two oldest. To share the experience.

But it's definitely about "freeing" up some fast passes to sell....

It's not a deal breaker or anything, but it just kind of sucks.

orky8

But where does this end? What if you have four children? Five? Six? I just don't think the system was meant to work this way. If I have two of riding age and one not, one would get to ride with mom and one would get to ride with dad while we traded watching the third plus one. We could swap who goes with whom next ride. It wouldn't occur to me to allow them to skip the line multiple times and jam everyone else up.

It ended with 1 + 2 additional. Or always had, until fastpasses were being commoditized. We don't need to go down the slippery slope of where it ends because for decades, Disney has been consistent - it ended with the person waiting plus 2 extra. I don't know why it didn't occur to you that both children could ride with each parent -- that's literally how the old system was designed to work and did work for decades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom