Parent swap changes...

DonaldDoleWhip

I think people are talking around each other here. The policy before allowed more to ride. That wasn't cheating, although some people would lie about a fear issue with a member of their party to gain extra rides for others. It had the potential for exploitation, however for those who just allowed mom and dad to both ride with their kids then all good. This is how the policy worked and we're not mad at you for it.

Now that the policy is changing, there is an argument about whether or not the +1 policy is fair and it's the usual fight between those who benefitted from it and those that didn't. This is where the real argument lies (what's fair and what's not). And my guess is that's where @MansionButler84 views the entitlement. If people think they should get extra rides for more than the +1 when Disney is taking away free fastpass for the masses. Soon enough it's going to suck more for each and every one of us.

Just don't assume everybody who is arguing about what is fair thinks your kid is a cheater for getting an extra ride in 2018. I certainly don't. But I don't think given where things are headed that mom and dad both should get to ride with 3 kids while the other waits with the baby. Not when they are sticking random people in your row from the single rider line in Test Track. This is forward thinking
Agreed, I don’t think anyone who used this system to their advantage was cheating. I did the same thing all the time when regular FP allowed late returns - was even sad when it changed at first, but quickly adapted.

Didn’t take long to admit the change was better for basically everyone, particularly in evenings when the return lines would get super backed up.

lazyboy97o

Just don't assume everybody who is arguing about what is fair thinks your kid is a cheater for getting an extra ride in 2018. I certainly don't. But I don't think given where things are headed that mom and dad both should get to ride with 3 kids while the other waits with the baby. Not when they are sticking random people in your row from the single rider line in Test Track. This is forward thinking
Where things are headed is not some predetermined divinely guided course of events. It’s not the natural progression of history. It is a deliberate decision by Disney based on years of trying to avoid adding capacity, including spending billions of dollars to come up with schemes to make people just the right amount of miserable and avoid adding capacity instead of using that money to just add capacity and make people happy. Now they are pushing through with another angle and people are again blaming other guests instead of blaming Disney for a problem of their own making that they are choosing to exacerbate and exploit.

Last edited:

pdude81

Where things are headed is not some predetermined secondly guided course of events. It’s not the natural progression of history. It is a deliberate decision by Disney based on years of trying to avoid adding capacity, including spending billions of dollars to come up with schemes to make people just the right amount of miserable and avoid adding capacity instead of using that money to just add capacity and make people happy. Now they are pushing through with another angle and people are again blaming other guests instead of blaming Disney for a problem of their own making that they are choosing to exacerbate and exploit.
I think it's universally agreed on that Disney hasn't built up enough ride capacity to stay on par with 10-20 years ago given the rise in attendance. We're not going in a time machine to set the guest policy to +1 in 2011 and we're not going back in time to build more attractions to limit ride waits. So the discussion is what to do with the sandwich that exists right now.

DonaldDoleWhip

I think it's universally agreed on that Disney hasn't built up enough ride capacity to stay on par with 10-20 years ago given the rise in attendance. We're not going in a time machine to set the guest policy to +1 in 2011 and we're not going back in time to build more attractions to limit ride waits. So the discussion is what to do with the **** sandwich that exists right now.
Again, completely agreed. The capacity issues facing WDW’s parks and the fact that this is a reasonable change that benefits most groups aren’t mutually exclusive.

It would be just as valid if the headliner waits were consistently 30-40 minutes.

lazyboy97o

I think it's universally agreed on that Disney hasn't built up enough ride capacity to stay on par with 10-20 years ago given the rise in attendance. We're not going in a time machine to set the guest policy to +1 in 2011 and we're not going back in time to build more attractions to limit ride waits. So the discussion is what to do with the **** sandwich that exists right now.
You start making it better, not try to make it worse to exploit.

Missing20K

very generous
This used to define Disney and set it apart from every other family vacation destination resort on earth.

Their generosity has ran out I suppose. Too much money left on the table by creating yet another revenue stream that seems like a value compared to two hour lines, that wouldn’t exist if they just built more attractions. Maybe build four $250 million ones instead of one $1 billion?

Disney has come to the realization that they can create a problem, “invent” a solution, and make it seem like a huge value to its customers, all while raking it from newbies, dusters, and nostalgic elders.

Peace out Seacrest!

DonaldDoleWhip

I think I’m done with this thread - the histrionics are a bit much, even for us.

Ride swap didn’t always exist and has always been a generous courtesy. It will remain that way even if only one member of the group is fortunate enough to get two rides for the wait of one.

If it was so essential to your trip that most of the group ride RnRC for the 39th and 40th times instead of simply the 39th, it’s probably time to take a step back and appreciate even being in that position.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Disney could let 10 (or any number) people ride swap if they just applied a model that didn't allow re-rides. Instead they used a self-regulating system that limited the party size to something reasonable to shape behavior.

Now Disney is putting the screws on. It is more 'death by a thousand cuts' IMO. My kids are all adults now so it will never impact me directly, but I can reveal in the memories :)

Missing20K

We can all have differing opinions about Disney without resorting to attacks on the credibility, knowledge, personal observations, etc., of the poster, especially claiming people aren't posting in good faith. To be an armchair psychologist and claim people are histrionic for posting their opinions....well, that's just below the belt.

Gee, I wonder why @EddieSoto left?

ImperfectPixie

But this change will make standby lines slightly better.
We hope.
This used to define Disney and set it apart from every other family vacation destination resort on earth.

Their generosity has ran out I suppose. Too much money left on the table by creating yet another revenue stream that seems like a value compared to two hour lines, that wouldn’t exist if they just built more attractions. Maybe build four $250 million ones instead of one $1 billion?

Disney has come to the realization that they can create a problem, “invent” a solution, and make it seem like a huge value to its customers, all while raking it from newbies, dusters, and nostalgic elders.

Peace out Seacrest!
The bolded is much the way pharmaceutical companies function. This is why I'm not a fan of how much our country prioritizes businesses over the well-being of humans. (I'm sure you've seen my comments on unchecked capitalism.)

DonaldDoleWhip

We can all have differing opinions about Disney without resorting to attacks on the credibility, knowledge, personal observations, etc., of the poster, especially claiming people aren't posting in good faith. To be an armchair psychologist and claim people are histrionic for posting their opinions....well, that's just below the belt.

Gee, I wonder why @EddieSoto left?
I think we can all agree sometimes our posts are a bit dramatic and exaggerated, relative to the actual importance of the subject matter. Some of this site's most beloved members, such as WDW1974, were all the more revered for it.

That said, some of the snark and bellowing over getting to ride once, after waiting in line once, fits that depiction well enough. And that's the last I'll say on that.

Most of us here aren't first-timers. This really isn't that important. For some impacted groups, it's a loss. For most groups, it's a gain. It is what it is.

Have a magical day!

doctornick

I think I’m done with this thread - the histrionics are a bit much, even for us.

Ride swap didn’t always exist and has always been a generous courtesy. It will remain that way even if only one member of the group is fortunate enough to get two rides for the wait of one.

This is ultimately my thing. I have no problem with the previous system and preferring that and people having benefitted from it. I have no problem with people lamenting it being changed.

But the reactions by some here - I think "histrionics" is the perfect term - are so silly. This new setup is still perfectly reasonable, fair and justified. It's also still quite generous. The change has not made it a suddenly poor or onerous system, it just make it somewhat less over the top lavish.

As I've mentioned in the thread, Disney is still a much more beneficial system than the one at Universal. Especially for the poor younger child who at Uni has to be with the whole family through the entire wait in line and the second rider and those are potentially some dark/scary queues. Even if the Disney system only allowed the one person to switch and then ride, it would be more family friendly than Uni; as is with the new system it still allows that switching guests to have a party member ride with them and I think that's quite appropriate. And unlikely Uni the young child has the change to do something else in the meantime (ride another ride, character M&G, eat, etc.) while the rest of the party waits.

In summary: old system more beneficial for people who used it. New system still perfectly reasonable and helpful. Complaining about Disney losing their magic over this is completely over the top.

mgf

I am going to be honest -- this thread is super weird. I don't really understand how some mild objections and frustrations ended up getting classified as "histrionics". In fact, many of us who raised objections have repeatedly said this is just an annoying change. We did not call for Chapek to resign or cancel our Disney+ subscription or plan a protest in Zach Riddley's Instagram comments. 😂

DonaldDoleWhip

I am going to be honest -- this thread is super weird. I don't really understand how some mild objections and frustrations ended up getting classified as "histrionics". In fact, many of us who raised objections have repeatedly said this is just an annoying change. We did not call for Chapek to resign or cancel our Disney+ subscription or plan a protest in Zach Riddley's Instagram comments. 😂
There’s no way you can I can be looking at some of the same posts and perceiving them as calm, level-headed discourse.

While there are plenty of level-headed posts, we’re reacting to a very specific tone that’s completely disproportionate to the situation.

sndral

Used to be rider swap returns had no time limits. So groups would hit the park early, collect several rider swaps to use much later in the day which when they did so swamped the FP lines. When Disney changed to time limited rider swap returns the wailing that ensued from the parents of toddlers & the ‘logic’ as to why it was unfair, un Disney, un magic, etc. was astounding.
I assume that as they did when they changed no time limit rider swap return to time limited returns, and when they changed GAC to DAS, Disney has crunched the numbers and determined that +2 was negatively impacting the majority of their guests, if it wasn’t why would they bother to make the change?
Kids grow up, they’re only too short for a couple of years, hard to believe there are enough fitting the demographic profile to have a significant impact - but they must have, otherwise why would Disney bother?

orky8

I assume that as they did when they changed no time limit rider swap return to time limited returns, and when they changed GAC to DAS, Disney has crunched the numbers and determined that +2 was negatively impacting the majority of their guests, if it wasn’t why would they bother to make the change?
Kids grow up, they’re only too short for a couple of years, hard to believe there are enough fitting the demographic profile to have a significant impact - but they must have, otherwise why would Disney bother?
If I may posit another theory. Disney is about to move into a model where they will be charging for fastpasses if rumors are correct. There can only be so many people using the fastpass line, so every extra person using a rider swap fastpass is one fewer fastpass that Disney can charge for.

I do not believe this change has anything to do with the +2 negatively impacting the majority of the guests and instead has everything to do with increasing the number of fastpasses they can sell.

ToTBellHop

Whining about explaining to children why they can’t all ride with Grandma and then all ride with Grandpa is, indeed, an example of histrionics. It’s absurd.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom