News Paradise Pier Becoming Pixar Pier

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Weren't you just arguing with me not too long ago about how I was saying Disney is pandering to millennials?

First argue is a strong word with which I take exception, its a discussion. Second pandering is different than to make something that appeals to someone, I still don't believe they are pandering. And third I'm entitled to change my opinion when more data becomes available, not that I have really changed my opinion. I still think most of PP is meh. The Incredicoaster is the only thing I'm still hoping is a better experience when done in-person as opposed to what is seen in the video.

fctiger

Ok, so I've been really thinking about this. I know this has been kind of brought up before. But now I'm leaning this way.

Pixar Pier was done to appeal to the Selfie Generation, which is a large portion of the AP crowd. This is in anticipation of next year where more and more of the APs will be forced into DCA due to SW:GE.

Now we can quibble over how every project should be high quality because its Disney. And I have a feeling some of the quality issues will be fixed over the next year or two as the project is obviously not done yet with more stuff due next year. But note this is a generation of APs that care less about the quality of attractions and more about the quality of the selfies they take. So I see PP becoming the hangout for APs this summer leading into next summer.

Do you really believe this? What's the difference between this area and every other area with a bunch of characters and fun theming? I don't think Pixar Pier is going to really do much to keep APs around once the newness wears off.

TROR

First argue is a strong word with which I take except, its a discussion. Second pandering is different than to make something that appeals to someone, I still don't believe they are pandering. And third I'm entitled to change my opinion when more data becomes available, not that I have really changed my opinion. I still think most of PP is meh. The Incredicoaster is the only thing I'm still hoping is a better experience when done in-person as opposed to what is seen in the video.
Maybe not pandering, but at least we agree Disney is focusing on the 20 to 30 demographic too heavily with regards to Pixar Pier.

Do you really believe this? What's the difference between this area and every other area with a bunch of characters and fun theming? I don't think Pixar Pier is going to really do much to keep APs around once the newness wears off.
Millennials love Pixar.

Disney Irish

Premium Member

Yes I really believe this. The difference between this and other areas is that quality is secondary to the primary goal which is to provide a locale for premium selfies.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
Nonsense. High school kids can't afford AP's on their own. It's college kids and upwards that love this.

Actually you'd be surprised how many under 18 probably have their own AP. Either through their parents or because they have their own money and their parents let them buy it.

Good article on the Selfie Generation:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lariss...neration-going-to-be-millennials-on-steroids/

Now I think your right that college kids, the 19-24 yr old, is the prime target. But I think the 13-18 yr olds are also captured in that as well.

Anyways so my point is the 13-24 yr old APs is what is being targeted by the Selfie locale that is Pixar Pier.

fctiger

Yes I really believe this. The difference between this and other areas is that quality is secondary to the primary goal which is to provide a locale for premium selfies.

I don't understand I guess, what exactly is in this area that provides 'premium selfies'? Its just a boardwalk with that's been repainted and a few character additions.

TROR

Actually you'd be surprised how many under 18 probably have their own AP. Either through their parents or because they have their own money and their parents let them buy it.

Good article on the Selfie Generation:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lariss...neration-going-to-be-millennials-on-steroids/

Now I think your right that college kids, the 19-24 yr old, is the prime target. But I think the 13-18 yr olds are also captured in that as well.

Anyways so my point is the 13-24 yr old APs is what is being targeted by the Selfie locale that is Pixar Pier.
I would say 13 is too young. Probably more 16-26? Mostly basing this off the kinds of people I see in Disney parks on the Instagram explore page.

Disney Irish

Premium Member
I would say 13 is too young. Probably more 16-26? Mostly basing this off the kinds of people I see in Disney parks on the Instagram explore page.

Ok, that's a fair point. I was throwing them in as there are a lot of 13 yr olds that look older in high schools. Anyways I think you get my point. :)

fctiger

The whole thing. From the updated pier, to the Lamplight Lounge, to the Incredibles Archway, to even Buzz's Churro Cart.

And you think this is what will keep people occupied when GE comes next summer? Sorry I don't really buy that. Lamplight Lounge is cool but who is going to be spending that kind of money every time they go for a burger and nachos?

Disney Irish

Premium Member
And you think this is what will keep people occupied when GE comes next summer? Sorry I don't really buy that. Lamplight Lounge is cool but who is going to be spending that kind of money every time they go for a burger and nachos?

I don't know how many 16-24 yr olds you've been around lately. But a lot of them spend hours getting the perfect selfie. So yeah I think it'll keep them occupied. Especially when they don't have a choice with their AP only allowing access to DCA and they need that Disney selfie fix.

fctiger

I don't know how many 16-24 yr olds you've been around lately. But a lot of them spend hours getting the perfect selfie. So yeah I think it'll keep them occupied. Especially when they don't have a choice with their AP only allowing access to DCA and they need that Disney selfie fix.

Well sure but I don't think THIS is the place that's going to do it. Pixar Pier seems more like a place designed for kids outside of the roller coaster. But OK we'll agree to disagree. You may be right but I don't see a lot of college kids hanging around here anymore than before it was Pixar Pier. I guess we'll see.

And in all honesty, if they seriously wanted a local hang out that will attract younger people, then just bring back the dance parties in HWL. Now THAT kept people busy all night if you didn't have kids.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom