Paperboy in SSE

EagleScout610

Always causin' some kind of commotion downstream
Premium Member
And now I'm waiting for someone to post :they are shutting SE down and going to re-design it and he won't be there anyway. (snicker)
He's being retrofitted into that one sketchy guy in Times Square who just so happens to have a 'gen-yoo-wine' Rolex for $100. Heard it from Chapek himself

celluloid

Just what we all were used to seeing. If they had started it out the way it is now, we not only would be OK with it, but if they moved it around to face us, we would have thought it was weird. I can compare it to CoP, even though "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" was the original theme song, when I first saw it in WDW the song was "Best Time of Our Life". I like them both, but to me the first one I saw is what it should be.

I recall many versions of CoP but with SSE I still disagree, we could not only see the boy's face, but it gave impact with seeing the headline as he barked across the street. So again, in my opinion the way he was up until this change had more.impact to the theme.

Goofyernmost

I recall many versions of CoP but with SSE I still disagree, we could not only see the boy's face, but it gave impact with seeing the headline as he barked across the street. So again, in my opinion the way he was up until this change had more.impact to the theme.
It's all a matter of personal opinion. It is just a minor blip in time while looking at a huge amount of detailed show sets that compose SSE. I understand that it bothers some people, but I am not one of them. It was cool either way. I will admit that until they moved him I never really gave a thought as to wondering who he was selling the papers too. After they did it all made sense to me. Believe it or not, even the "old men" of Disney were capable of missing a crucial detail and, in my mind, whatever reason they had in moving it, to me made more sense then the way he was, visual or not. Like I said, if you immerse yourself in the ride, you are invisible to the characters in the scenes along with our vehicle. Just made more sense to me when he was moved. Maybe, for me, a happy accident, but you are entitled to feel whatever way you want too about it. I am just trying to make sense of the move. Accept it or not... that is your choice. It's only a ride in a theme park.

graphite1326

He's being retrofitted into that one sketchy guy in Times Square who just so happens to have a 'gen-yoo-wine' Rolex for $100. Heard it from Chapek himself
LOL that is hilarious. I actually bought one of those watches as a joke (talked him down to $15.00). Wore it to work showing it off.

Bubbie2019

I doubt that it was about a disfigured face, but, it is possible. My take is that we were time travelers. We would not be visible to a paperboy so why would he be trying to sell us a newspaper. Turning him around and facing the cityscape would be much more logical and in theme. It was built that way to begin with because, ok, I'll be frank here, the original imagineers just didn't think about it and looked at it like it was an actual train running on a track along side that building. They made the correction on one of the redo's, but, I don't remember which one, but, it may have been back at the beginning of the Judi Dench era. The disfigured face really doesn't hold water, in my opinion, because it would have taken no time at all for Disney to kick out another face from the archives if needed. His wasn't a recognizable face.
I agree with you, my dad was in audio animatronics in Adventureland in the Magic Kingdom. They would never have allowed him to remain disfigured without fixing him. Him being turned around yelling at the street does make a whole lot more sense

FettFan

Something else thar bothers me.

He’s saying that the Civil War is now over.
The war ended on May 26, 1865.
Springtime.

But he’s clearly bundled up for the winter.
news-boy-new-spaceship-earth.jpg

JoeCamel

Springtime.

news-boy-new-spaceship-earth.jpg

Maybe it was a cold spring.
Maybe he is wearing every scrap of clothing he owns because he is functionally homeless? I've seen people do this in hot weather as well or cold and this is NYC maybe? It can be very cold in May there

Last edited:

muddyrivers

Springtime.

I totally understand what you are saying but it is not unreasonable for it to be a cold day in May. Up in the Northeast it was only a few years ago where Memorial Day Weekend temperatures were in the 30s! :eek:

Phil12

I totally understand what you are saying but it is not unreasonable for it to be a cold day in May. Up in the Northeast it was only a few years ago where Memorial Day Weekend temperatures were in the 30s! :eek:
Yes, but the Imagineers are not going to design clothing for an animatronic based upon "a cold day in May". And, of course, I do not think the animatronic has any artificial intelligence that would allow it to dress itself based upon the weather conditions. One day, perhaps.

DisAl

Probably he is turned so you can't see his face so you can't tell for sure he is young. "Government agencies" might make Disney remove him due to child labor laws...

Rambozo

I heard he was badly burned in a fire at St Mary's Orphanage. So he leads people down an alley to take his revenge, on those who didn't help him.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom