Paperboy in SSE

Andsome

Not really you have never seen the face of the telephone operators, Michelangelo in the Sistine Chapel, or whomever is in that garage inventing the Apple Computer. I'm sure there are others that just escape me at the moment.
There's this guy in the Renaissance scene- you can even see the zipper that runs along the back of his head.
DU3R2095.jpg

wdwjmp239

I apologize if this has been addressed before, but does anyone know why the paperboy in Spaceship Earth is turned away from guests facing the wall? You can still hear his dialogue clearly and swear he wasn’t like this a year ago...

He's been faced that way for quite some time (probably the last 3+ years now?). There are some other threads on here discussing this. :)

Goofyernmost

He has been this way for a while. At least throughout this current version. I dont recall why he was moved to the back of the set.
I don't think that they ever gave a reason for it, officially. Disney doesn't explain anything. If anyone looks closely enough that facing the wall thing is actually a mural of the street, not a blank wall. It shows that he is selling his papers in the area that he should be in, not trying to sell it to a phantom moving time machine that he wouldn't be able to see anyway.

Hank Hill

I hope someone a Disney is reading this and just moves him for like one day. Then a bunch of people will come here saying he was facing forward and everyone here will make them think they are crazy.

If there is one ride I would love to be able to walk through and look at everything behind the scenes, it would be Spaceship Earth. I saw a video one time, there is a catwalk behind the shell CM's have been on, I assume for maintenance and such. How cool would that be to get in there?

Arkham

A
I apologize if this has been addressed before, but does anyone know why the paperboy in Spaceship Earth is turned away from guests facing the wall? You can still hear his dialogue clearly and swear he wasn’t like this a year ago...
a fellow cast member did a walk through of Soaceship Earth & he was told that when he was on the corner, guests would reach out & grab him or his paper. So they moved him to the back corner.

graphite1326

And now I'm waiting for someone to post :they are shutting SE down and going to re-design it and he won't be there anyway. (snicker)

Goofyernmost

But... He's facing an empty street filled with nobody... Who is he talking to?
People we can't see, we have a very limited view that street. Facing us he's talking to people that don't exist in his time and space. We are time travelers, not visible. At least turned around it looks like a kid trying to sell papers to the people on his street that may exist in his world. If we are able to accept that he is trying to sell papers to us, riding in a vehicle that doesn't stop, it shouldn't be all that hard to accept that he is now doing what he should have been doing all along.

celluloid

I remember the child voice of the Cronkite version (maybe the same one from before but I never rode the earlier versions) and it was a great capture even though it went on for awhile in ear shot.
At some point the Irons Version had a rough voice that sounded more like Benny the Cab. That was bad.

I am not a fan of the wardrobe change or the way he is has been facing the ally versus the way he was. I can see what they were going for but it is not staged as well and was better and in theme of the attraction in the versions prior to that change in my humble opinion.

Goofyernmost

I remember the child voice of the Cronkite version (maybe the same one from before but I never rode the earlier versions) and it was a great capture even though it went on for awhile in ear shot.
At some point the Irons Version had a rough voice that sounded more like Benny the Cab. That was bad.

I am not a fan of the wardrobe change or the way he is has been facing the ally versus the way he was. I can see what they were going for but it is not staged as well and was better and in theme of the attraction in the versions prior to that change in my humble opinion.
Just what we all were used to seeing. If they had started it out the way it is now, we not only would be OK with it, but if they moved it around to face us, we would have thought it was weird. I can compare it to CoP, even though "Great Big Beautiful Tomorrow" was the original theme song, when I first saw it in WDW the song was "Best Time of Our Life". I like them both, but to me the first one I saw is what it should be.

Last edited:

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom