Pandora World of Avatar Phase Two

No Name

I'm just shocked they'd be considering an Avatar expansion. Even if the oddly waifish man of anemic personality, the man who handed JC the pen, was still running the division, I'd be surprised. But Bob Chapek... I mean I'd be gobsmacked.

Unrelated, but I think they take Little Red and spin him into his own dedicated anti-poaching attraction in Africa. I think Little Red has more fans than Avatar, and no royalties and such.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
more avatar? yuk...
Yeah, the land so far has shown to be a complete flop.

os-pictures-opening-day-at-pandora-the-world-o-018

No Name

That pictures means nothing.

The quarterly earnings report came out yesterday. Pandora didn't increase attendance as much as they'd predicted, and not nearly as much as they'd hoped for in 2011. And it's hard to find a silver lining when they have to pay royalties to JC and crew. The land is wonderful, but licensing Avatar was a poor business decision. It could've been accomplished without. Bob Iger would stab himself before allowing that.

We'll see when the attendance numbers come out. :)

raymusiccity

I think we might need a better idea at what the sequels will be like. Assuming Avatar Land phase 2 is four or five years away from opening at the earliest there’s at least a chance that one or more sequels will already be out. I know, I know...but it’s possible.

Water is supposed to be a major part of the sequels so what about a half water coaster, half dark ride. You board a large “ship” that floats around some show scenes outside before going up and then coming down a drop hill (the water coaster part). Instead of that being the end of the ride at the bottom of the hill when you splash down you go “underwater” into a dark ride show building that gives the illusion you are actually underwater where the rest of the ride takes place.

I think they could also use a sit down restaurant (possibly waterfront with new attraction).

A lot of the engineering is already done! Another 'thank-you Tokyo Disney Sea' :)
20000.jpg

marni1971

Park History nut
Premium Member
Yeah, the land so far has shown to be a complete flop.

os-pictures-opening-day-at-pandora-the-world-o-018

The quarterly earnings report came out yesterday. Pandora didn't increase attendance as much as they'd predicted, and not nearly as much as they'd hoped for in 2011. And it's hard to find a silver lining when they have to pay royalties to JC and crew. The land is wonderful, but licensing Avatar was a poor business decision. It could've been accomplished without. Bob Iger would stab himself before allowing that.

Low capacity at peak season will make it busy.

JustInTime

I guarantee AK had an increase. I went in September and I’ve never seen it more packed. That is normally a slower time. We will see when they announce those numbers. I’m very curious.

UpAllNight

I know you can’t force these things through a huge company like Disney without selling the benefits in increased revenue and ultimately profitability...but there’s benefits beyond short term pure numbers in making additions that improve a park as it ultimately, encourages revisits by improving the guest experience. But that requires people in place who think beyond the next quarterly report.

Disney simply had to start making more effort to improve the experience on offer. DHS for example is brand damaging at this point by how bad it has become. Hour long queues minimum within 30 minutes of opening...shows that have been there for approaching 3 bleeding decades. We’re sometimes too harsh on a Disney, but they genuinely have damaged their own brand with their neglect of Disney World for the past 10-15 years. I don’t care what a report says about attendance and if yadda ya additions need/needed to happen. Universal will kick Disney’s sweet in the next decade if they don’t make them.

No Name

I guarantee AK had an increase. I went in September and I’ve never seen it more packed. That is normally a slower time. We will see when they announce those numbers. I’m very curious.

DAK had an increase for sure, but how much of that ate out of Epcot and DHS? What do they gather from that? I want the numbers to be good, but I'm setting my expectations low.
http://blog.touringplans.com/2017/07/05/pandoras-effect-wdw/

Also, argue all day that the expansion is a positive in the long term. And I agree. But Bob Iger's whole idea of paying for the Avatar rights was for a bigger attendance boost. I'm not sure he got any bigger an attendance boost than he would've gotten without Avatar. Although apparently they're considering a phase 2, so color me confused. Bob is so out of touch I could never reason with his thinking.

twebber55

DAK had an increase for sure, but how much of that ate out of Epcot and DHS? What do they gather from that? I want the numbers to be good, but I'm setting my expectations low.

Also, argue all day that the expansion is a positive in the long term. And I agree. But Bob Iger's whole idea of paying for the Avatar rights was for a bigger attendance boost. I'm not sure he got any bigger an attendance boost than he would've gotten without Avatar. Although apparently they're considering a phase 2, so color me confused. Bob is so out of touch I could never reason with his thinking.
all great points
what we cant answer is how much did Pandora save WDW this summer given the political climate and the fact that international tourism is way down do to who s in the white house
how bad did DHS hurt WDW
Obviously Irma damaged wdw attendance and bottom line numbers as well
Pandora is no HP but there were plenty of days were they were mid 30's in attendance
and we dont know how new movies will affect long term attendance as well
if they are considering a phase 2 (which i doubt) then they feel pretty good about whats been happening

at the end of the day based on touring plans surveys as well as online sites like tripadvisor they did some really good things with this expansion

BrianLo

Keep in mind total attendance fails to capture the intricacies of park v park attendance.

AK has had a sizeable bump. DHS and especially Epcot are down. That's more a shuffling of cards since the entire resort was allowed to stagnate. The true resort wide attendance bump won't start coming until DHS and perhaps even Epcot projects open.

But Bob Iger's whole idea of paying for the Avatar rights was for a bigger attendance boost. I'm not sure he got any bigger an attendance boost than he would've gotten without Avatar. Although apparently they're considering a phase 2, so color me confused. Bob is so out of touch I could never reason with his thinking.

Guest spending, satisfaction, time spent in AK etc. The biggest indicator of the success is that Bob is actively considering a phase 2. The man is driven by these items, not the fact that guests need a third attraction.

No Name

all great points
what we cant answer is how much did Pandora save WDW this summer given the political climate and the fact that international tourism is way down do to who s in the white house
how bad did DHS hurt WDW
Obviously Irma damaged wdw attendance and bottom line numbers as well
Pandora is no HP but there were plenty of days were they were mid 30's in attendance
and we dont know how new movies will affect long term attendance as well
if they are considering a phase 2 (which i doubt) then they feel pretty good about whats been happening

at the end of the day based on touring plans surveys as well as online sites like tripadvisor they did some really good things with this expansion

I agree there are so many confounding variables that it's hard to come to any definite conclusions. That's why Disney often comes to the wrong ones. For example, Bob Iger's conclusion that the Orlando market is mature, which he's been proven wrong on in multiple ways.

JustInTime

Well. They sold 8 tickets to my family they wouldn’t have if it weren’t for Avatar. This was our universal year. We rotate between WDW and UNI each year. So we will see! I know universal was dead compared to a late September day at AK. On a Tuesday. I was shocked. I’ve been to AK every other year (including opening year) and I’ve never seen it like that. Ever.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom