Pandora Spoiler Thread

rioriz

Well, maybe it will be different after I get there this Sunday, but it looks like lots of planning and money went into the land itself and the queues and the attractions are sort of on the back burner as far as ingenuity and thought. Another boat ride and Soarin' 3.0 is what we got. If total land immersion was what they were going for all aloyng, then I think all of us have been focused on the wrong things. Hope this strategy pays off.

I still have to laugh when people still call this Soarin...Mission Space is just Dumbo 3.0 and Test track is just TTA 3.0

Last edited:

Bairstow

I was able to preview Pandora, though I did not get to ride Flight of Passage and did not see the land after dark. Also I uh.. have not seen the movie. Here are my thoughts!

The land is absolutely beautiful and dripping with detail everywhere you look. The amount of craft work into every square inch of the place is incredible. They did a fantastic job of seamlessly blending this land into the park. There are some nods to the film that are mostly subtle and also tied into the park's conservation message. I believe they got this exactly right in that it's not about the movie at all, its about Pandora, another planet, perhaps you've seen or heard about it?

The queue for Flight of Passage is easily one of the best queues ever made.

I think Na'Vi River Journey is the perfect C-ticket attraction. I love that it's just an experience, no story, just an old school "ride and enjoy the ambiance" attraction. The minimal screen usage doesn't bother me because they enhance a physical scene, rather than being the scene. Agreed that there should have been perhaps a few animatronic creatures. What concerns me is the capacity- it seems very low. I haven't really been following Pandora discussion so I don't know how much this has been covered, but this should have been a people eater. Instead, it will likely have very long lines leading to higher than intended expectations. Still, I appreciate that they even bothered to include a second ride.

The main restaurant's food was decent and interesting. Both it and the gift shop are a little underwhelming, and it gives you an idea of how Disney would have treated Harry Potter, had they proceeded with it. The restaurant is definitely a Disney theme park restaurant, the gift shop is definitely a Disney theme park gift shop. Both are big, open, and have minimal theming. A big ingredient to the success of the WWoHP is how authentic the shops, restaurants, food, and merchandise all are.

If I had to criticize the land itself, it's that ultimately, despite the amazing detail and beauty, it does feel a bit lifeless and empty. I'll need to actually watch the movie to give input on how this could be improved.

I'm also going to reserve ranking the land (in terms of where it lands in my top theme park lands list) until after I actually ride Flight of Passage and also see the land at night time, which I am very excited for.

I take it Flight of Passage was down for technical reasons?

djdan888

Yep, and they were very strict about letting only a small portion of invitees from the next time slot experience it. Many Pandora CM's said that even they have not yet ridden it.
What's the matter Disney? Afraid of the bad publicity of having many people not fit your ride? Hopefully they are fixing that part of it soon.

djdan888

Should we really be shaming Disney for this? Disney's attractions have always been, far, far more accommodating than any other theme park.
Its more in how it is not fitting. If your calves are too thick along with an above average midsection, chances are you will have to take the walk of shame.

180º

Its more in how it is not fitting. If your calves are too thick along with an above average midsection, chances are you will have to take the walk of shame.
Apparently there's going to be a test seat at the entrance soon. While it won't help accommodate more people, it should help cut down on the unpleasant surprises.

Rodan75

Agreed. If they can get nearly everyone on RnRC they can do the same here. The pics I've seen of folks who said they did not fit are crazy. These aren't morbidly obese folks...and that could lead to a PR nightmare for this launch.

No Name

I still have to laugh when people still call this Soarin...Mission Space is just Dumbo 3.0 and Test track is just TTA 3.0

I see your point and I kind of agree. But allow me to refute.

The thing with Soarin' and Flight of Passage is... and granted, I haven't ridden FoP... is that they're both rides in which you fly across fascinating landscapes. Neither has any real conflict. They're both intended to invoke similar emotions.
It's clear that the similarity extends beyond the ride system.

Haunted Mansion and Mermaid are both omnimovers, Star Tours and Body Wars are both cabin simulators (is there a technical term?), but the rides themselves are vastly different.
Whereas Soarin' and Flight of Passage are similar beyond the fact that they're both elevated simulators... at least, in my uneducated opinion. So I can see why comparisons are being made.

Last edited:

AEfx

5 mins does seem average for rides. I wonder if the reason people have gotten off and thought wow it seems pretty short is really because it is lacking in content. One animatronic and then the rest all probably feels the same, very beautiful but the same. Just looking at the video's and commenting of course. But, to me it looks like something I really want to ride and experience but then probably not ever again.

Yeah, I can't imagine it being any longer, the way that it is. People would get bored. It's really pretty, rather well-done, but there is no story, and with so little connection people have with the IP in general, what would another couple of minutes of the same really add to it.

Last edited:

jt04

Are there any sections not yet open during previews? For instance the path leading to Africa.

If they do a phase 2 it would be cool to have a walkthrough featuring life size animatronics of the creatures of Pandora.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Are there any sections not yet open during previews? For instance the path leading to Africa.

One of the vloggers did indeed say the path to Africa wasn't open yet. Most likely because they have crowd control at just one entrance. Other than that, I know of no other area the vloggers couldn't get to.

Incomudro

I see your point and I kind of agree. But allow me to refute.

The thing with Soarin' and Flight of Passage is... and granted, I haven't ridden FoP... is that they're both rides in which you fly across fascinating landscapes. Neither has any real conflict. They're both intended to invoke similar emotions.
It's clear that the similarity extends beyond the ride system.

Haunted Mansion and Mermaid are both omnimovers, Star Tours and Body Wars are both cabin simulators (is there a technical term?), but the rides themselves are vastly different.
Whereas Soarin' and Flight of Passage are similar beyond the fact that they're both elevated simulators... at least, in my uneducated opinion. So I can see why comparisons are being made.

I understand comparisons to Soarin,' nothing wrong with that.
I take issue when it's used in a dismissive way, by people who haven't even been on the ride.

Jones14

There's definitely conflict in Flight of Passage; it's in the middle of Star Tours and Soarin' in terms of the sense of danger, but, unlike both, there are moments of just sitting and taking in the view in both the middle and the end of the experience.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom