Pal Mickey - worth it?

Darcy

Original Poster
I heard Pal Mickey costs $70.
I have seen them cheaper on ebay. (used obviously)

Is pal mickey worth it?
Did it help with learning about crowds at rides?
Keep kids amused while waiting?

elizs77

I carried Pal Mickey around on our last trip (it was borrowed from my parents, as they had gone a few weeks prior) in 2006. I only carried it for a few days. Here were my issues:

*It's bulky. I already was dealing with a stroller and a child sized bookbag. We always cleared the stroller of stuff we didn't want to get gone each time we went on a ride. That was fine, but Pal Mickey added to what we had to carry.
*He didn't provide us with any information. I couldn't get him to give us more than trivia. He would shake and then tell us something general about the park. He never provided line information, character info, etc. like he's supposed to do.
*I got tired of carrying him around. He is a bit big and a bit heavy. It comes with a shoulder strap, but after several hours, I didn't want to carry him anymore. My husband didn't want to deal with him, so I had to carry him myself if I wanted to use it.

Maybe we were using him in the early stages, and maybe he's more informative now. I guess he would have been worth carrying around if he was more useful!

Fluxuated

Not worth the material it's made out of, IMO. Like the other poster said, it didn't provide us with ANY useful information.

MissM

He's fun, but he's not going to be a substitute for having your own personal CM tour guide for example. He's much more on the fun, lighter side. He'll tell jokes, he'll make comments based on where you are in the parks, etc. He'll also remind you when it's getting close to a parade/show time and if any ride that has electronic wait time sign ever gets to 5 minutes, he'll let you know of that too. (For example, Buzz Lightyear.) It's just not very common for wait times to get that low so odds are you won't hear those kinds of things.

You need to be careful of the ones on ebay as many people are selling older versions. They'll often trick someone into thinking it's newer by putting him in one of the optional clothing outfits. The original one is very outdated now and will talk about Alien Encounter instead of Stitch for example. The newest one is dressed as the Sorcerer's Apprentice. You can't buy this costume separately.

If you see one dressed in any of the following, it's probably an old, outdated one: poncho, pin trader outfit, tourist outfit, Micky Mouse club outfit, Santa outfit or pirate captain outfit. Don't buy one dressed in those clothes because you'll have no way of knowing which version it is.

Anyway, if you want something for the fun of it rather than expecting a Keys to the Kingdom-level experience, Pal's a lot of fun. But I'm the first to admit he's not for everyone. And a lot of people get tired of carrying him around on a long day. So it really depends on the individual's tastes if he's "worth it" or not.

Feel free to ask any other questions. I'm kinda the unofficial Pal expert around here. :lol:
-m

elizs77

Hmmm.... I didn't know they had different versions. I just figured they would update the info transmitted and the Mickey would give whatever came out. I wasn't planning on bringing it this time, but sounds like my 2006 one would be even less useful!

As for the question about size, I think it's about 18 inches or so. I remember it being heavier b/c of the mechanics and batteries enclosed within. I don't have the one I used in front of me since it was my parents, but I only carried it for 2 - 3 of the 7 days we were there since I didn't find it useful.

One more thing - I had a hard time hearing it! I would have to hold it right up to my ear in the parks at times b/c of ambient noise, and I was only in my 20s at the time. If it was quiet, I could hear it fine. In the MK it was the most hard to hear.

MissM

Hmmm.... I didn't know they had different versions. I just figured they would update the info transmitted and the Mickey would give whatever came out. I wasn't planning on bringing it this time, but sounds like my 2006 one would be even less useful!
Pal Mickey can NOT be updated. Older versions get outdated because of this. Newer versions make mention of newer attractions and have more games. The older versions will work, they just won't be as current.
-m

momsls

When will the "new" one be out or is Sorcerer's Apprentice the current one?

BTW great info on the Pal Mickey...Thank You!!

elizs77

Pal Mickey can NOT be updated. Older versions get outdated because of this. Newer versions make mention of newer attractions and have more games. The older versions will work, they just won't be as current.
-m

I just meant updated like how info is transmitted to my satellite radio, not that I could buy something to update it internally. :wave:

MissM

When will the "new" one be out or is Sorcerer's Apprentice the current one?

BTW great info on the Pal Mickey...Thank You!!
I'm actually surprised we haven't gotten a fourth edition yet. It's overdue based on past releases. So at the moment, the Sorcerer's Apprentice version is still the current edition.

And you're certainly welcome! Glad I could help. :D

I just meant updated like how info is transmitted to my satellite radio, not that I could buy something to update it internally. :wave:
Doesn't matter how you thought he would be updated. Fact remains that Pal Mickey can NOT be updated by any means. In other words, what was on him as of the purchase in 2006, will always be on him and no new information, data, phrases or information is offered by Disney. There's a common internet rumor that he'll pick up new information when he enters the park, but that's just not true. It's a one-way system and Pal doesn't download any new data.

I just wanted to make it clear since it's a persistent - if utterly incorrect - rumor on the web.
-m

elizs77

I didn't even KNOW there was a rumor on the web. I wasn't perpetuating anything, just saying hey, I didn't know it didn't auto update, thanks for the info, definitely not bringing the old one.

Chu-Chi Face

Hey there, I bought a Pal Mickey the first year they came out - just could not rest until I had one. Used it for about 5 days and by then I was completely fed up of it jabbering the same old rubbish! Nothing informative and some very corny jokes! It was very bulky and I found it annoying to carry it round all day long :hammer:. Husband wanted nothing to do with it, so it ended up getting left in the room. It now sits on the shelf in my study where it is going to stay.

In my opinion your $70 would be better spent on something else, like 28 pretzels or a ticket for Cirque! :sohappy:

MissM

I rented pal mickey for a day and didn't feel like it was worth it on my last trip
Just a head's up for anyone wanting to do this, the rental program was discontinued back in 2005. Too many people decided to keep the Pal so they figured there wasn't enough of a market for the rentals. It's purchase only now. (Oh and the original price was $50 but it's currently $65.)
-m

rodfarrell00

We Had Fun With It

I like Pal Mickey. I have the one they're selling now...bought him Jan 2008. I was taking videos at World Showcase, and zoomed in on his face to introduce each of the countries. He said some stuff that was informative, a lot of really juvenile jokes. He's not that heavy....comes with a clip so I had him hanging from my belt. True, he didn't tell me anything about short lines. But, he was worth the price.

DisneySam

Mine was a gift, I always wanted one and never could justify spending the money myself. But I loved it. As far as being "helpful" with wait times, mine wasn't the best except during EMH...go figure.
n178700042_30110829_5018.jpg

The one thing I loved is how all the characters picked it up at character meals or just in between photos and played with it. The quizzes and games did come in handy while we were waiting in line.

One thing if you do buy... my clip broke almost immediately. I got a thin strip of velcro that you can wrap around the clip loop (on the doll) and velcro around your bag strap. Carrying it everywhere got old quick...it was nice to velcro it to my bag and go.

Thiger

Thats why i think a virtual mickey on your cellphone / ipod or even DS would be so much better. Easier to update, very small in size and they could tack on like $5/day transmissions/downloads.

I would rather have a pal tigger.

TubaGeek

God bless the "Ignore" button.
Are they even going to update Pal Mickey? With the new DS system coming out, I had assumed that Pal Mickey would be discontinued.

MsSnuzi

I actually have 3 Pal Mickeys - I love the little guy and didn't mind carrying him around the parks. I guess it's all a matter of what you want to spend your money on.
:shrug:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom