Paint the night is not moving to Disney World. Stop bumping this.

COProgressFan

Over the last 15 years, WDW has gone from 6 daily parade showings to 1. :(

This is the part that is most upsetting. And yet, I've seen people here post that they prefer it this way, because its less crowded at night, or they don't like parades anyway, etc.

A prime example of paying (significantly) more, but getting much less in today's WDW.

TTA94

Maybe he will come back and completely retool our Fantasmic to be a better show...God knows it needs the work.

It does need it. I'm not sure what's currently high on TDOs list for entertainment projects. I believe Illuminations is next but that wouldn't be a Steve project, I don't think. For him my guess is either F! or a parade.

Last edited:

rushtest4echo

This is the part that is most upsetting. And yet, I've seen people here post that they prefer it this way, because its less crowded at night, or they don't like parades anyway, etc.

A prime example of paying (significantly) more, but getting much less in today's WDW.

While I can see that from a certain point of view, I can also see it like this:

In 2001, we had 5-6 daily showings of parades and 3-4 nightly performances of other major entertainment.
- 100 Years of Magic Parade (1 show)
- SpectroMagic (1 or 2 shows)
- Tapestry of Dreams (1 show)
- March of the Artemals (1 show)
- Stars in Motorcars (1 show)
- Fantasy in the Sky (1 show)
- Reflections of Earth (1 show)
- Fantasmic (1 or 2 shows)

Now, we have 1 daily showings of a parade, but between 5-9 performances of other major entertainment.
- Festival of Fantasy Parade (1 show)
- Wishes (1 show)
- Once Upon a Time (1 show)
- Reflections of Earth (1 show)
- Fantasmic (1 or 2 shows)
- Star Wars Fireworks (1 show)
- Rivers of Light (1 or 2 shows)
- Tree of Life Awakenings (Count it all as one show, though not in the caliber of everything else listed)

As entertainment is concerned it seems like they just shifted away from parades and to night time shows instead. Of course, if they're going to raise prices then they really should just have more offerings and not continuously trade shows/attractions for existing ones. Still, I think that's a fair trade for most people if you're not counting the money aspect. Though I know plenty of disappointed kids/parents who just want more parades.

Disney Analyst

Steve's working his "magic" on Fantasmic!! at DLR at the moment. And by "magic" I mean butchering it worse than he did over in Tokyo. :(

Love the guy, he swings for the fences. But when he misses, he misses BIG. Once Fantasmic!! is done in a few weeks (from his perspective), maybe he'll be retasked to a WDW project.

And to be clear about Dreamlights: yeah their "refreshes" that happen every few years cost more than most parks spend on their biggest rides. You're right that that's probably out of WDW's league until their attitude toward parades improves. Over the last 15 years, WDW has gone from 6 daily parade showings to 1. :(

I've heard plenty of positives about the Fantasmic changes, what are you hearing?

rushtest4echo

I've heard plenty of positives about the Fantasmic changes, what are you hearing?

The music is jarring and doesn't fit at all with the rest of the show (frankly, it's similar to what we have here in Florida and the mess in Tokyo). The Pirates scene is riddled with problems (especially the fact that we've turned Mickey's animated dream full of Disney animation properties into Pirates somehow- as if Peter Pan wasn't already the best segment of the old show). Aladdin is a personal distaste of mine. I like the film, but its presentation in nighttime shows is genie fest and it's the same here. At least the Aladdin segment has been cut down since rehearsals started.

And don't get me started on the re-orchestrated theme music. *barfs*

I'm sure it'll be a spectacular show and guests will love it.

I guess I'm sort of playing the Martin EPCOT card, where it's just not going to be what it used to be and that makes me upset! Cut the Pinocchio segment, trim Ursula, and maybe toss in some newer properties. Leave Pan alone, leave the Fantasia scenes alone. :)

Disney Analyst

The music is jarring and doesn't fit at all with the rest of the show (frankly, it's similar to what we have here in Florida and the mess in Tokyo). The Pirates scene is riddled with problems (especially the fact that we've turned Mickey's animated dream full of Disney animation properties into Pirates somehow- as if Peter Pan wasn't already the best segment of the old show). Aladdin is a personal distaste of mine. I like the film, but its presentation in nighttime shows is genie fest and it's the same here. At least the Aladdin segment has been cut down since rehearsals started.

And don't get me started on the re-orchestrated theme music. *barfs*

I'm sure it'll be a spectacular show and guests will love it.

I guess I'm sort of playing the Martin EPCOT card, where it's just not going to be what it used to be and that makes me upset! Cut the Pinocchio segment, trim Ursula, and maybe toss in some newer properties. Leave Pan alone, leave the Fantasia scenes alone. :)

I think the only thing that may ruin it for me is the music. I think you can put just about anything in the bones of the show and make it work, as it's about dreams and imagination after all... But you need to leave the bones, the structure, and the heart (which is the music). I really cannot stand the TDS score, so if it's anything like that I'll be pouting for a while.

My question is does the villain segment remain the same? They say they are replacing Snow White with Rapunzel, but then does that mean the Evil Queen is gone? I love her transformation.

tirian

Sorry if I wasn't clear. I meant to say that Paint the Night was began in Glendale as a project for Disneyland's 55th. Instead, it was carted over to HKDL for budget/crowding reasons. Those two reasons don't seem to be a factor anymore though.
The DL faithful might disagree with me, but I hated PTN. Nothing—NOTHING—about that parade impressed or enchanted me. The floats are rolling video screens. Many of the costumes aren't illuminated; the performers just have spotlights on them. (To be honest, some of the walking performers have cool costumes, but it's nothing you haven't seen before.)

MSEP Dreamlights, on the other hand, made me feel the same as Spectro or MSEP. It was like being inside a Disney dream, no pun intended.

aladdin2007

meryl-streep.gif

I wish more people had this view. PTN is atrocious and I will never understand why the fanbois drool over that debacle when Dreamlights exist. It all boils down to lacking a taste for quality.

agree, and whatever is cheapest to them to do.

brb1006

The DL faithful might disagree with me, but I hated PTN. Nothing—NOTHING—about that parade impressed or enchanted me. The floats are rolling video screens. Many of the costumes aren't illuminated; the performers just have spotlights on them. (To be honest, some of the walking performers have cool costumes, but it's nothing you haven't seen before.)

MSEP Dreamlights, on the other hand, made me feel the same as Spectro or MSEP. It was like being inside a Disney dream, no pun intended.
Not to mention the amazing Small World finale and the Drum Float. Dreamlights is the only Disney electrical parade that I really love that is on par with Spectromagic.
%25E3%2580%258C%25E6%259D%25B1%25E4%25BA%25AC%25E8%25BF%25AA%25E5%25A3%25AB%25E5%25B0%25BC%25E6%25A8%2582%25E5%259C%2592%25E9%259B%25BB%25E5%25AD%2590%25E5%25A4%25A7%25E9%2581%258A%25E8%25A1%258C%25EF%25BD%259E%25E5%25A4%25A2%25E4%25B9%258B%25E5%2585%2589%25E3%2580%258D%25EF%25BC%2588%25E2%2580%259CTokyo%2BDisneyland%2BElectrical%2BParade%2BDreamlights%25E2%2580%259D%25EF%25BC%2589%25E5%25B0%2587%25E6%2596%25BC2017%25E5%25B9%25B47%25E6%259C%2588%25E6%259B%25B4%25E6%2596%25B0%2B5%25E6%259E%25B6%25E8%258A%25B1%25E8%25BB%258A%25EF%25BC%2581.jpg

renewed-dreamlights-tokyo-disneyland-night-parade-020.jpg

tirian

@AJH219 @brb1006 @aladdin2007

As an entertainment company, Disney is going to sometimes make some mistakes, such as Light Magic. We're realistic enough to call out the problems and praise the successes. TDL MSEP—Dreamlights is a success. Sure, I'd rather have something original; but if that means a parade on par with PTN, I'll happily accept a carbon copy of Dreamlights (with the original Blue Fairy lead float) for WDW.

brb1006

@AJH219 @brb1006 @aladdin2007

As an entertainment company, Disney is going to sometimes make some mistakes, such as Light Magic. We're realistic enough to call out the problems and praise the successes. TDL MSEP—Dreamlights is a success. Sure, I'd rather have something original; but if that means a parade on par with PTN, I'll happily accept a carbon copy of Dreamlights (with the original Blue Fairy lead float) for WDW.
I would rather have Spectromagic been given the Dreamlights treatment and not a direct copy. Even the updated Small World finale gave a sorta of tribute to Spectro with all the floats turning white then back to normal for a few seconds.

TTA94

We should probably be careful what we wish for in regards to WDW getting PTN, eventually. There's always the chance DL does send PTN to WDW and they build a Dreamlights style parade for themselves.

jrhwdw

:joyfull:

That would certainly be interesting. :p
What will be more interesting is to see what happens with MSEP! I still believe it will very hard for Disney to just shut it off. It's been on since 1972. Granted it had down times since then, but was never killed, except 1996 in DL but we all know that didn't last..... Plus it looks like MSEP is tied to PTN's and F!'s referbs, so who knows!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom