Packing for an October trip!

Kita79

I have read that October is warm during the day and cool or cold in the evening.
We will be there October 29-November 4
This is what I have for my daughter and myself packed:
several disney t-shirts (daughter)
shorts
skirts/sundress
three pairs of capris
lightweight jackets
two pairs of sneakers
sandals
flip flops
sunscreen
first aid kit with moleskin,bandaids,antibotic ointment, gauges, aleve, children's pain meds

I'm sending a box to our hotel with cold cereal, fruit snacks and rollups, slim jims (daughter favorite), goldfish (cheese, pretzels,grahams), mini muffins, chips, koolaid single serve packs, chips, and bottled water and zip loc bags.

Am I missing anything?

rsoxguy

I noticed that you are from Wisconsin. You will, in all likelihood, not be cold in the October evenings. There's a chance that you won't even be cool. Think balmy instead. The weather in Florida has been inconsistent the past few years, but I rarely consider October to be a cool month. It is more of a transitional month as we move away from the intense heat, to just normal heat.

Upvote 0

Pioneer Hall

October can be tricky. Some days can be summer hot and then other days not break out of the 60s. This past October my friends came to visit for food and wine and we were in jackets in the evenings (new Yorkers). It's unfortunately one of those months that can be somewhat hard to predict.

Upvote 0

luv

It can get cool at night in October. You might want a warm jacket...like hoodie material, not winter coaty! You might want long pants. But you might not. It may be very warm, especially at the beginning of October!

Pack more warm weather stuff than cool.

The hard thing is that it can be 85 at 3:00 and 65 at 9:00. You won't be wanting the jeans when you're out in the hot weather!

You're only coming for four or five days, right?

I'd pack one summer outfit for each day and have two fall-like outfits. Also a jacket, sweatshirt or sweater. if you have lined windbreakers, that's the best bet - helps with rain, if that comes, too.

It's usually not cold, but if you don't want to buy sweatshirts, you may as well bring them. I'd bring it on the plane...sometimes planes are cold. Saves suitcase space, too.

Remember that your daughter counts for luggage. If you can bring one bag a person, she gets a bag, too. :)

Upvote 0

The Mom

Premium Member
I always bring a light jacket or sweater regardless of the season, just in case the A/C in restaurants, etc is set on Arctic. Especially if you're soaked from a sudden shower and are trying to escape the rain. :lol:

I would add a hat to the list. That way, you don't have to put sunscreen on your forehead, and it won't get into your eyes (stinging) when you sweat.

A small microfiber towel (small hand towel size) has a multitude of uses, from wiping off a wet seat, to drying wet feet. And some wet wipes or sanitizer wipes. Pack a few sandwich and gallon size zip loc bags - I always seem to need one for something; keeping my phone or camera dry on a "wet" ride, to saving leftovers. Also good for storing that towel if you use it, or wet ponchos, or even a wet bathing suit if you hit the pool before the airport. ;)

Upvote 0

DisneyDebNJ

I have read that October is warm during the day and cool or cold in the evening.

shorts
skirts/sundress
three pairs of capris
lightweight jackets
two pairs of sneakers
sandals
flip flops
sunscreen
first aid kit with moleskin,bandaids,antibotic ointment, gauges, aleve, children's pain meds

I'm sending a box to our hotel with cold cereal, fruit snacks and rollups, slim jims (daughter favorite), goldfish (cheese, pretzels,grahams), mini muffins, chips, koolaid single serve packs, chips, and bottled water and zip loc bags.

Am I missing anything?

Your packing mirrors mine! :ROFLOL: It rarely gets down right cold in October, but as other posters have suggested, a hoodie type sweat shirt or zip up, or a sweater might be a good bet too. I have to be honest, I never pack one, but make sure I buy one while in the parks :wave:
If you aren't planning to do any laundry, bring along a few kitchen garbage bags for dirty laundry, or if you do see yourself doing a load or two, bring along a few of those Tide all in ones, just in case. And don't forget your phone charger!! (Like I seem to do, every other visit!) Included in our first aid kit, is something called Swimmer's Ear, one of us always winds up with water in our ears. Have a fabulous, memorable vacation! :sohappy:

Upvote 0

GeoDonJac34

I have been lucky enough to be at the World every October for the last nine years. Going again this year. Most years I have only worn shorts and short sleeved shirts, but the past two years we hit a chilly spell each time. All we needed was a light jacket though. Many years we were swimming at the resort after park closing. We always watch the weather as our trip gets closer, but a little warning, it changes a lot. We still monitor it but it is more of a tradition.

Upvote 0

SMS55

October is our transition month. If you come the first week of the month expect it to be summery. It will be hot and humid with the ocassional afternoon thunderstorm. If you come at the end of the month, it will be less humid. The mornings may be cool if we get a front, but not cold. Atleast not by Wisconsin standards.

Upvote 0

luv

Ok, here's everything I pack...

Travel speaker for iPhone, phone charger
Unofficial Guide
Small pair scissors
Garbage bags
Pepto, Advil, Zyrtec
Extra pair shoes (I put the scissors in them :) )
Clothes
Toiletries, make-up
Camera if I am taking one
Cheapo Wal-Mart ponchos

GUM!!!! If you chew it, PACK GUM!!!! You cannot buy it at WDW or the Orlando airport.

I carry the tickets, iPad and a magazine for the plane in my purse. I brought a jacket on the plane.

That's everything I ever brought. Some trips I brought less then the whole list, but never more.

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
Ok, here's everything I pack...

Travel speaker for iPhone, phone charger
Unofficial Guide
Small pair scissors
Garbage bags
Pepto, Advil, Zyrtec
Extra pair shoes (I put the scissors in them :) )
Clothes
Toiletries, make-up
Camera if I am taking one
Cheapo Wal-Mart ponchos

GUM!!!! If you chew it, PACK GUM!!!! You cannot buy it at WDW or the Orlando airport.

I carry the tickets, iPad and a magazine for the plane in my purse. I brought a jacket on the plane.

That's everything I ever brought. Some trips I brought less then the whole list, but never more.
I have all of this too. I gotta buy gum.

Upvote 0

sgtmgd

Another thing to consider, if it is hot during the day..your daughter or you may get cold in thee evening in resturants..so the warm clothes..light jackets may be a welcome thing to have...

good thinking on sending the snackes ahead of time:D

Upvote 0

muse1983

During our October 2011 trip we hit 2 days where the high was only 58 so preparing for maybe one or two cool days is a good idea. October is a great time to go, try to get tickets to Mickeys Not So Scary Halloween Party!!:wave:

Upvote 0

s&k'smom

We too always travel in October and I've always packed our much used disney rain poncho's, came in handy last year. It was quite cool by the end of the week so a light jacket is perfect, have fun.

Upvote 0

Kita79

Original Poster
Stroller(bring or not to bring)

Thank you so much for all the suggestions. One more question should i bring a stroller with me or rent one? My DD will be five years old and I'm sure she will be able to walk Disney World but I'm afraid she may get tired at some point and I can't carry her and whatever else we might buy while we are there. She outgrew her stroller because she is very tall for her age.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest
We will be there October 29-November 4
shorts
skirts/sundress
three pairs of capris
lightweight jackets
two pairs of sneakers
sandals
flip flops
sunscreen

Am I missing anything?

I have been in October, November and December. The years we went, October was so humid it was terrible, we froze like crazy the year we went in November, and the December, it was so hot and muggy. So that being said, it is very hard to pack for this time of year b/c you never know what you are going to get. BUT, if you pack in layers, then you will be fine. Make sure to have something warm, and things with layers, tank tops with a top over it or something like that. You will have a better idea when the summer is over and they can forcast the temps better.

As for little things, I always bring ponchos in a water proof pouch and I cut up those shamwow's to smaller sizes and put them in there too. Its a great way to get dried off if you find yourself stuck in a down pour. Also, I toss in a plastic ziplock bag so the wet items don't get everything else wet.

Hope this helps! Happy packing!

Upvote 0

babsinspace

couple other ideas

Just a note: I saw on here that those with kids bring glowsticks to distract the little ones from the expensive Disney ones in the parks! Might save you a bit and they are very packable.
Also, if you are a yoga pants person, I recommend them for chilly nights/plane and can throw them in your backpack for nights, just in case. Ditto for a lightweight long sleeved tee, packs lighter than a hoody for nighttime. But I feel the cold...!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom