Overpacking!

ThinkTink721

We leave on Sat. & I am finishing the packing.
I am looking over each bag to make sure enough is packed for everyone.
I will probably focus on the carry-on bags tomorrow.

My dilemma is overpacking!...I always tend to do this...I start out with just enough outfits, etc. & I continually add to it.
We never use 1/3 of what we take!...HELP!!!

coltow

I've gotten better over the years. We leave 2mrw. We all have enough clothes for every day. I always pack the kids 2 extra outfits. Now with the tropical storm looming I have packed a few extra shirts for me and DH and some extra ponchos. I also packed everyone an extra old pair of sneakers so that we'll have dry pair. The old sneakers I will simply throw out when we leave. I have one whole suitcase of snacks which WILL be empty for souveniers.

Upvote 0

WDWNooby

I am a serious over packer and don't see that changing unfortunately for our next trip. It's in December and I'm already stressing on what to take for eight days. I refuse to do laundry on vacation. The worst part of this trip is it being in December. We live in the midwest so will likely be chilly when we leave and I hate being cold :O (I'm a born and bred SoCal girl). I imagine sweatshirts, sweatpants, jeans, etc. then of course a couple of pair of shorts and perhaps a bag just for our coats and gloves.I foresee my son looking at me in horror when we put the luggage in the car to head to the airport. I go away for a weekend and swear I have enough clothes for a week because I'm afraid i won't have what I need :O

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I won't do laundry on a vacation unless I absolutely have to.
I actually did make a packing list & I have followed it pretty well...I have only added a few items to the list.
Still packing...still only have 6 suitcases & 3 carry ons!

Upvote 0

luv

With the exception of extra shoes, don't take stuff you might need. Just take stuff you know you'll need. If something comes up, you can always buy whatever you need.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

Carey Poppins - Nanny and Disney Enthusiest

My dilemma is overpacking!...I always tend to do this...I start out with just enough outfits, etc. & I continually add to it.

I make a very detailed daily outfit list for both day and evening and then pack two extra "just in case" outfits. Its a lot - but we wear everything. And we never have an outfit we don't wear. Its on a spread sheet that I have planned in detail. This has really helped with the "over packing".

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I make a very detailed daily outfit list for both day and evening and then pack two extra "just in case" outfits. Its a lot - but we wear everything. And we never have an outfit we don't wear. Its on a spread sheet that I have planned in detail. This has really helped with the "over packing".

This is what I do too. I write each day of the week, and what I'm going to wear that day. Sometimes I even try things on to make sure they still fit & that I like them. I try not to stray from my list too much, only to pack an extra outfit or two, or a hoodie/jeans if it's cold. I used to overpack horribly, and this has really helped. Now that I have DD's stuff to pack, I really have to make sure I don't overpack!

Upvote 0

smw

i can't imagine taking so much stuff. i really couldn't even tell you the last time i checked a bag. it's always just a carry-on for me.

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

This is what I do too. I write each day of the week, and what I'm going to wear that day. Sometimes I even try things on to make sure they still fit & that I like them. I try not to stray from my list too much, only to pack an extra outfit or two, or a hoodie/jeans if it's cold. I used to overpack horribly, and this has really helped. Now that I have DD's stuff to pack, I really have to make sure I don't overpack!

Hee hee I can't imagine packing for a wee one! I would be like, oooh, this outfit to meet Mickey, this one to meet Tink! :) hee hee I'm afraid I would get very carried away! :) This year - I took it a step further and took pics of all the outfits laid out for me and my DH and made sure I had everything!! Are you getting special Disney outfits for her? Have you seen the Minnie pillow case dresses for girls? And the bows? SO CUTE!

Upvote 0
I myself am

alot like you but I have learned over the years and especially the cruise that I packed too much! Now I tell myself to pack a few of my favorite shirts, bottoms, socks if needed and the rest. Why? We tend to buy shirts and washing is available! You could also save the room for souviners. Carryons are my focus too. I will be leaving my house for the airport Sunday at 2:30 AM

Upvote 0
I am also somewhat of a germophobe...I am taking Lysol & antibacterial wipes. :D
We have 5 people & are only taking 6 bags (plus carry-ons).
This is the least amount of bags we have ever taken to WDW.
I am packing extra clothes because I don't want to spend my vacation doing laundry.
When I went on the cruise the first thing we check out in our room is the bathroom and found blood droppings on the floor. (Blood borne pathegons). I made a dirrect call and had them clean it up. This was the only time in over 20 years that I healt with any cleanliness problems.

Upvote 0

Witchy Chick

Hee hee I can't imagine packing for a wee one! I would be like, oooh, this outfit to meet Mickey, this one to meet Tink! :) hee hee I'm afraid I would get very carried away! :) This year - I took it a step further and took pics of all the outfits laid out for me and my DH and made sure I had everything!! Are you getting special Disney outfits for her? Have you seen the Minnie pillow case dresses for girls? And the bows? SO CUTE!

::raises hand sheepishly:: :D

I think for each kiddo I now have 4 "Disney" shirts. A long sleeve Mickey shirt for each, and then the other three are different for each kid. Princesses for DD, McQueen and Bruce (the shark from Nemo -- LOOOOOVE) for DS.

Me? I have about a million Donald Duck shirts -- so I'm good to go. Although I still keep buying new ones.

heheheeee

Witchy

Upvote 0

ThinkTink721

Original Poster
I divide everyone's clothes by outfits & by days.
That way, we can just grab what we are going to wear without even thinking about it.
I always pack a few extra outfits, just in case.
This year, I am taking trash bags for the dirty clothes...I will just have to remember to put them inside an empty suitcase so they won't get thrown away!
My best friend when packing is the ziploc bag...I put everything in them!
Especially since we are flying...there is always risk of something coming open or busting on the plane.

Upvote 0

DizneyPryncess

I do have outfits just like that, lol!! I have a Tink dress to meet Tink, and a Cinderella dress for the castle breakfast. I bought a Minnie Mouse onesie & a hat w/mouse ears to meet minnie & mickey! I'm doing pretty good with her. It's just tough because I have no idea what the weather will be like, so I have to pack extra for her just in case. I haven't seen the Minnie pillow case dress, but I love pillow case dresses so I will see if I can find it!!

Upvote 0

Mikester71

Thank goodness we drive down because I am a notorious over-packer. My wife and kids joke that it would probably just be easier for me to rent one of those little u-haul trailers to pull along behind the van to carry all of my stuff in it! :D

Upvote 0

disneygirl76

::raises hand sheepishly:: :D

I think for each kiddo I now have 4 "Disney" shirts. A long sleeve Mickey shirt for each, and then the other three are different for each kid. Princesses for DD, McQueen and Bruce (the shark from Nemo -- LOOOOOVE) for DS.

Me? I have about a million Donald Duck shirts -- so I'm good to go. Although I still keep buying new ones.

heheheeee

Witchy

I know I will be in trouble if we go with a wee one! We don't have kids yet, but if we are able to, and we finally take them to WDW! Oh dear! Lets just say I feel bad for the bell hop! :) hee hee

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom