Overnight parking charges to increase at Walt Disney World Resort hotels June 2019

backinaction

Totally agree. After our first and last trip to WDW, we'll go back to Hershey Park. Less stress, great rides, great food, luxury hotel and a 2 1/2 hour drive from our home.
Love hershey. Its such a clean park. We went last summer and had a blast. Had reservations booked for the hershey hotel, but then balked at the 400 + per night. Is that where you stayed?

DisAl

They should replace Mickey with Scrooge McDuck at the Town Square Theatre meet and greet. It would be much more appropriate based on the multiple money grabs over the past few months.
We did a totally different vacation this year. It cost about 20% of what the last WDW vacation cost us and we still had a wonderful time. WDW is now a once every three years rather than every two years for our family group of 8.

Last edited:

ryguy

I don't like the parking fees. I also think a resort fee is a scam too. However, many people are mentioning hotels outside of property that have resort fees of upward of $35 dollars a night. Some with parking fees too. A lot of these hotels become a wash when you compare their fees to Disney hotel prices. I really hate the fact they charge more money for deluxe hotel parking then they do for value resorts. Thats just in your face money grab. No justification, just charge one sect of people more money for the same product. Its hard to justify to the average consumer a parking fee when you didn't have one for 35 years and you have 50 square miles at your disposal.

John park hopper

I don't like the parking fees. I also think a resort fee is a scam too. However, many people are mentioning hotels outside of property that have resort fees of upward of $35 dollars a night. Some with parking fees too. A lot of these hotels become a wash when you compare their fees to Disney hotel prices. I really hate the fact they charge more money for deluxe hotel parking then they do for value resorts. Thats just in your face money grab. No justification, just charge one sect of people more money for the same product. Its hard to justify to the average consumer a parking fee when you didn't have one for 35 years and you have 50 square miles at your disposal.

You just don't understand the asphalt used at the deluxe resorts is much higher quality than any of the moderate resorts. The asphalt used at the value resorts you are one step away from parking on dirt. I agree with you !00% This is a money grab justified by-- well others in the industry charge for parking --flip side others do not.

Last edited:

montyz81

The second price increase today. Waiting to see if there is a third...

Absolutely right. They want a 100% captive audience. It started with DME, continued with the parking fee. Too bad renting a car and paying to park (well, we're DVC so we don't pay the parking fee... yet...) is still FAR cheaper than paying Disney food prices. :)
Then explain why they need to charge at Aulani or Hilton Head or Vero Beach? Do they really want people to fly all the way to Hawaii and keep them at the resort? Especially in Hawaii where the main attraction is to leave the resort. I’m going to leave the resort in Florida. Now I’ll just use Uber to do it.

peter11435

Then explain why they need to charge at Aulani or Hilton Head or Vero Beach? Do they really want people to fly all the way to Hawaii and keep them at the resort? Especially in Hawaii where the main attraction is to leave the resort. I’m going to leave the resort in Florida. Now I’ll just use Uber to do it.
They don’t charge at Hilton Head or Vero. In Hawaii land is very expensive and they don’t have much of it.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Yet Floridian local pass holders don't have to pay to park at the parks.

International tourists, tourists not living in Florida subsidising the ridiculous giveaway for local visitors.

We still have to pay if we stay at a resort just as you do. We do get a parking perk; but it is neither free nor subsidized, it's bundled into the cost of our passes.

cmb5002

Its hard to justify to the average consumer a parking fee when you didn't have one for 35 years and you have 50 square miles at your disposal.

This is what really grinds my gears. I understand if you're building a hotel in DC or NY, charging a parking fee. Many hotels in urban areas don't have the space to provide all the parking that is necessary. You're trying to disincentivize people from parking. At Disney this makes absolutely zero sense. The hotel should never be built unless they have enough parking.

Further, if you want to keep people on site, why not make the fee a per entry fee? Every time you leave and return you have to pay. This would be a way to incentivize drivers to stay on site, using Disney Transportation.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
Further, if you want to keep people on site, why not make the fee a per entry fee? Every time you leave and return you have to pay. This would be a way to incentivize drivers to stay on site, using Disney Transportation.

Sort of like bathroom stalls in the 70s. Need to poo? Hope you remembered your quarter! /s

John park hopper

As was posted by others parking in cities is at a premium (limited space) and therefore they charge a premium price in order to park. This is not the case at WDW. All WDW resorts were built with ample parking for guests. I have never had a problem parking at any of my resort stays in all my years going. IMO Disney saw a no cost way to make money on already built infrastructure, it had nothing to do with preventing people from going off site.

RustySpork

Oscar Mayer Memer
As was posted by others parking in cities is at a premium (limited space) and therefore they charge a premium price in order to park. This is not the case at WDW. All WDW resorts were built with ample parking for guests. I have never had a problem parking at any of my resort stays in all my years going. IMO Disney saw a no cost way to make money on already built infrastructure, it had nothing to do with preventing people from going off site.

Money left on the table is money not earned, you're exactly right. Charge people for parking, you'll earn more income from those who are fine with it and you may additionally earn more income from those who rebel against it and inadvertently become an even more captive guest.

mdcpr

You and I must go to a different Hershey Park. Nice, fun trolley park - just as Uncle Milt intended - but hardly “great.”
Everyone perceives things differently. I think it is great due to the fact that the energy I put into planning is not more than what I get out of it. Planning WDW is way too complicated and time consuming, and I know I'll get memories and smiles after it, but I also know this is the first and last trip for the family because I'm not doing this again.

In addition, the experience of saying at The Hotel Hershey, a historical hotel in the US, with great dining and amenities, add to the Hershey experience.

peter11435

It's a matter of WHEN Disney starts to charge to park at Disney Springs.
Unless they intend to share parking revenue with their third party tenants (highly unlikely) I don’t expect them to start charging at Disney Springs any time soon. And remember Disney doesn’t technically own or operate the garages.

Jedi Osborn

I'm prepared for everyone to tell me how wrong I am, but I'm going to keep beating this drum. Disney does not want you to pay the parking fee, they want you to skip renting a car. They'd be thrilled if the "Resort Parking Fee Revenue" line went to zero because it means all of their guests are captive and reliant on them for transportation, F&B, merchandise, and recreation.

This isn't about a few extra dollars in fees, it's an attempt to change guest behavior.

I'm not sure I understand.
We always stay on property and the Disney transportation seems stretched to its limits in the mornings and around closing time. I would think allowing more people to drive themselves would alleviate pressure on the WDW transportation system, thereby saving money.

peter11435

I'm not sure I understand.
We always stay on property and the Disney transportation seems stretched to its limits in the mornings and around closing time. I would think allowing more people to drive themselves would alleviate pressure on the WDW transportation system, thereby saving money.
They don’t want you to have a car because they don’t want you to be able to easily leave the property. They want you to rely on them so that they receive all of your vacation dollars. This is why they offer complimentary Magical Express.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom