Overnight parking charges to increase at Walt Disney World Resort hotels June 2019

devoy1701

While I’m only one person, Disney has for sure lost some money on me with the parking fees. I used to always stay on property, but now if we drive we stay at a Hilton or Marriott right of property. That means the room rate, breakfast, late night snacks, etc. they all lose.

I can’t be the only passholder making those decisions.

Now when I fly, the scales usually tip the other way with magical express.
Same here. Our last visit was to the Embassy Suites instead of on Property...before that we stayed at the Hyatt Grand Cypress and the Wyndham Vacation Club, even the Dolphin. Those previous trips would be to Fort Wilderness, Wilderness Lodge, and Caribbean Beach. Maybe the adjustment is more because I was comfortable paying 2009 prices for those resorts and not today's rates, but adding parking and resort fees doesn't help.

disneyflush

I'm prepared for everyone to tell me how wrong I am, but I'm going to keep beating this drum. Disney does not want you to pay the parking fee, they want you to skip renting a car. They'd be thrilled if the "Resort Parking Fee Revenue" line went to zero because it means all of their guests are captive and reliant on them for transportation, F&B, merchandise, and recreation.

This isn't about a few extra dollars in fees, it's an attempt to change guest behavior.

I'd agree with your thinking here. I'd also wonder why they don't charge $50/day at value resorts, $75 at moderates, and $100 at deluxes to make the charge especially painful and truly more of an actionable guest behavior changer instead of just a minor annoyance for the vast majority of people.

SamandplanningUK

Speaking as a UK resident, for my family of 4 to spend 2 weeks in Orlando staying in a moderate resort including Disney tickets, universal tickets, flights and car hire it is costing us £10,000. That’s without meal plan or spending money. We could go down to value resort but husband likes the moderates and we like to stay on site for the convenience. On average the cost is going up £500 per year for us. Our flights take up a fair chunk of that money but we are definitely being priced out and won’t be able to visit again for a fair few years if at all which breaks my heart as I have wonderful memories with my teenage kids there. Needless to say the last thing we need are ridiculous costs like this when we already pay so much to stay in a Disney hotel.

Ricky Spanish

We're going in February 2020. Believe me, it's not my choice. If I had my way I would never step foot on Disney property again. The penny and nickeling that they did for decades is now $10 here, $25 there. Apparently, the parking lots haven't been paying for themselves. If I'm going to pay $25 to park my car for a full week and never move it Mickey better be carrying my luggage up to my room!
When we got to All Star Music resort on June 5th, Mickey didn't carry my luggage to my room but bell services did!
And we only paid $13 a night to park(well actually only $4 a night after we used our housekeeping opt out gift card)

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
I'd agree with your thinking here. I'd also wonder why they don't charge $50/day at value resorts, $75 at moderates, and $100 at deluxes to make the charge especially painful and truly more of an actionable guest behavior changer instead of just a minor annoyance for the vast majority of people.
They just want to tip the scales of the calculus, not blow up the whole thing. It's a scalpel approach rather than a hacksaw.

I think the easiest example would be guests who drive to WDW from home. It needs to remain viable for them to do so while at the same time discouraging the flying guests from renting.

mdcpr

I told you they were going to keep doing that. Disney is just getting ridiculously greedy at this point.
They are working slowly to price out the regular people.

...and cue the Vacation Club members and the loyalists who will defend Disney until their death.

Sorry kids, It's just not worth the price any longer.

Honestly, For what it costs to fly to Disney, stay at one of their "value" resorts, get park hoppers and pay for some food.... you can actually afford a trip to Hawaii with a hotel stay and not pay over inflated food costs.
Totally agree. After our first and last trip to WDW, we'll go back to Hershey Park. Less stress, great rides, great food, luxury hotel and a 2 1/2 hour drive from our home.

matt9112

I'm prepared for everyone to tell me how wrong I am, but I'm going to keep beating this drum. Disney does not want you to pay the parking fee, they want you to skip renting a car. They'd be thrilled if the "Resort Parking Fee Revenue" line went to zero because it means all of their guests are captive and reliant on them for transportation, F&B, merchandise, and recreation.

This isn't about a few extra dollars in fees, it's an attempt to change guest behavior.

i agree but about those of us who LIVE AN HOUR AWAY....the AP at least in state AP should include it....i cannot fly to disney world if i wanted too.

Janir

This really is absurd. Just inching up costs for everything across the board. Seems small, but just for parking, a long weekend visit costs $100 more than it did just 2 years ago. Do passholders get free parking at the resorts still?
DVC still does. Dunno about AP's.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom