Overhaul of Disney's Hollywood Studios (open brainstorming)

mharrington

Original Poster
Disney's Hollywood Studios needs to be fixed up, big time! I don't know how we can do this, though, since it's abandoned any pretense of being a real movie studio.

Part of the problem is that, like the other non-MK parks, it has been starting to echo the first park's identity, blurring the boundaries between this park and that one.

So what can be done?

comics101

The solution to the DHS identity problem isnt trying to find the park a new identity simply because it's no longer a working movie studio. I believe the best way to fix DHS is to bring the park back to its roots. While real productions may no longer film at DHS, there's no reason that the illusion of productions filming on location can't be maintained. After all, isn't that what a Disney Park is all about? Illusions?
With that in mind, I think it's time to restore, not get rid of the Backlot Tour. New set pieces need to be built and "productions" need to be "filmed" there. I also think it may be kinda cool to turn the tour into a Jungle Cruise style ride, with sarcasm and Marc Davis humor added throughout. Also, to kick the tour up a notch, you never know what will be "filming" on your ride. Perhaps a set will be used, perhaps it won't, and it's possible to have multiple productions film at different times on each set, adding more varriation to the ride.
Due to a lack of space and PixarPlace, there's really no easy (or cheap) way to do this. The best bet would be to move Cypress and S Studio Dr, and expand that way. Reroute the tour so that it goes down a newly rethemed 1920's NY Street (as it did in the original tram tour) adding motion and excitement to that area of the park (of course some things may need to be moved around, and a few new paths/a possible bridge may have to be constructed for guest flow, but I think if done right, it would be possible to keep the MV3D ctyd open and still have this done). Of course as you drive by you may be interupting production of a picture which is "filming".
Next up, the Lights Motors Action area. LMA really is kind of a waste of space imo, and is inferior in just about every way to the Indy Stunt Show, and so I personally say do away with it, but keep the set up and make a road for the tram tour to follow onto the set, where occasionally live actors (playing directors, film crew, actors, etc) will be filming a new action movie located in a European Town. Some of the scenes in LMA will be included and filmed right in front of your eyes with you right next to the action. Then, in the newly expanded area of the park, perhaps a Western Set could be constructed, along with an Adventure set, etc, until finally you reach Catastrophe Canyon and the Grand Finale.

The other major expansion I would add to the park would be an expansion of the Muppet Ctyd, with some sort of a POTC-style dark ride (whether that be the Movie Ride or something new), a Restaurant, and LCI meet&greets.
While we're at it, reopen the Hunchback theatre as a new indoor Broadway Theatre presenting an upgraded Beauty and the Beast with costumes and songs from the actual (now closed) broadway production. Of course a new show would open in the current B&B's theatre on Sunset Blvd. Perhaps expand on the 1920's NY area too, now that S Studio Dr has been pushed back and SF st has been rethemed anyway...open a new "New York Rooftop Restaurant", where thanks to facades movie magic, it'll appear you're dining atop a rooftop in 1920's NY and a Soda Shop to go along with the Broadway Theatre...

I suppose my plan to save and expand the Backlot is pretty unrealistic, but I'm not sure where else the park can be expanded. Obviously Pixar Place needs at least one new attraction, and there's some space for perhaps a few things behind the Animation Ctyd I suppose...and of course the Parking Lot behind Indy. Idk. DHS is so difficult due to location and space...perhaps I'll draw a quick masterplan of the changes tomorrow when I have some spare time, just to make things a little more clear.

mharrington

Original Poster
To comics101:

Okay, here's the thing: in the Imagineering Field Guide for the park, there's this little bit of information that says:

As the public expressed more interest in learning about the world behind the scenes, the media obliged with more and more stories and features about these topics. The arrival of DVD media allowed for the movies we purchase to offer much of the backstage information that the Studios park used to focus on. Our recent projects have focused on more immersive experiences that put the Guest in the middle of the action. So, the park is now less about the nuts and bolts of filmmaking craft and more about putting Guests into experiences inspired by film, television, and other media in new and exciting ways. The name Disney's Hollywood Studios reinforces this shift.

So you see, this is one reason why the Studios has abandoned its pretense of being a true studio. After all, why should a theme park cannibalize that which can now be found on DVD?

I also think that since the park has abandoned any pretense of being a true studio, we should re-rename the park so that there are no ties to the word "Studios" at all.

comics101

To comics101:

Okay, here's the thing: in the Imagineering Field Guide for the park, there's this little bit of information that says:

As the public expressed more interest in learning about the world behind the scenes, the media obliged with more and more stories and features about these topics. The arrival of DVD media allowed for the movies we purchase to offer much of the backstage information that the Studios park used to focus on. Our recent projects have focused on more immersive experiences that put the Guest in the middle of the action. So, the park is now less about the nuts and bolts of filmmaking craft and more about putting Guests into experiences inspired by film, television, and other media in new and exciting ways. The name Disney's Hollywood Studios reinforces this shift.

So you see, this is one reason why the Studios has abandoned its pretense of being a true studio. After all, why should a theme park cannibalize that which can now be found on DVD?

I also think that since the park has abandoned any pretense of being a true studio, we should re-rename the park so that there are no ties to the word "Studios" at all.

The movies can be found on a DVD as well though. I don't think simply because you can find "behind-the-scenes" features on a disc. It's also not nearly as immersive. You can sit and watch behind-the-scenes feature on your couch, or you can walk onto an actual "working" movie set where the productions are taking place. You see what I'm gettin at? What sounds cooler?

Taking the Studios theme out of the park is basically turning it into a MK, and it would be a pretty sucky MK at that...I could see this working if you turn it into a No Disney Properties park, but even that would be stretching it.

mharrington

Original Poster
The movies can be found on a DVD as well though. I don't think simply because you can find "behind-the-scenes" features on a disc. It's also not nearly as immersive. You can sit and watch behind-the-scenes feature on your couch, or you can walk onto an actual "working" movie set where the productions are taking place. You see what I'm gettin at? What sounds cooler?

The second one. Unfortunately, for us Disney nuts, walking onto a movie set is old news to the general public. And a DVD is much, MUCH cheaper, too, than a trip to WDW.

Taking the Studios theme out of the park is basically turning it into a MK, and it would be a pretty sucky MK at that...I could see this working if you turn it into a No Disney Properties park, but even that would be stretching it.

Well, the thing is, as David Koenig stated in "Realityland", the non-MK parks are already turning into MK. That's why they've been getting the attractions they've been getting lately, like Donald Duck in Epcot's Mexico boat ride or that dreaded sorcerer's hat obstructing the view of the Chinese Theater in the Studios.

Let's face it, where the Studios' actual "studio" identity is concerned, that ship has long since sailed. That's why I'm concerned about what can be done.

comics101

The second one. Unfortunately, for us Disney nuts, walking onto a movie set is old news to the general public. And a DVD is much, MUCH cheaper, too, than a trip to WDW.

I'm not so sure about that. Sure a DVD is cheaper, but to walk onto a "working" movie set, that could be a once in a lifetime experience for some people, something extremely special and magical, and that's what Walt Disney World is all about, creating once in a lifetime experiences for their guests. One would hope that if you're going to spend all that money, you'd have something more intimate and big and cooler than features on a DVD.

Well, the thing is, as David Koenig stated in "Realityland", the non-MK parks are already turning into MK. That's why they've been getting the attractions they've been getting lately, like Donald Duck in Epcot's Mexico boat ride or that dreaded sorcerer's hat obstructing the view of the Chinese Theater in the Studios.

Let's face it, where the Studios' actual "studio" identity is concerned, that ship has long since sailed. That's why I'm concerned about what can be done.

If we're going to fix something, lets fix it right. DCA is being fixed, and I would argue (and I would assume many on these boards would argue) DHS probably needs an overhaul at least as big as that one. Lets give it to DHS. Let's help the park refind it's identity. Lets rebuild the great theme and story DHS was originally intended to have. The studio theme isn't dead, it's just be dropped, and wrongly dropped in my opinion. Lets bring it back stronger than ever.

I'm not arguing for less immersive attractions or anything like that. It's my opinion that every attraction WDI creates should be at least as (if not more) deatailed as Everest. But lets do that with a movie studio theme in mind. Bring the park back to its roots. For that matter, it's time to do the same for Epcot too...

mharrington

Original Poster
And what about Toontown, where we also kept arguing about putting in this park? Wouldn't that take away from the "studio" identity we're so desperately trying to revive?

comics101

And what about Toontown, where we also kept arguing about putting in this park? Wouldn't that take away from the "studio" identity we're so desperately trying to revive?

Hahaha well, I wouldn't think so. Why would that take away from the studio theme? And even so, if we were to add a "Toontown" to DHS, why would it have to be a town? We could easily add something along the lines of Toon Studios in WDS. Personally I think that idea would be better, but I love the idea of the toons having trailers lol.

Even so, if we were to build a straight up ToonTown clone of sorts, Hollywood Blvd isn't a studio setting. Or to keep in with the movie theme, there's no reason why ToonTown couldn't be located as a "working set" located in Toon Studios for the latest Mickey Mouse or Roger Rabbit or Donald Duck short, etc.

mharrington

Original Poster
Hahaha well, I wouldn't think so. Why would that take away from the studio theme? And even so, if we were to add a "Toontown" to DHS, why would it have to be a town? We could easily add something along the lines of Toon Studios in WDS. Personally I think that idea would be better, but I love the idea of the toons having trailers lol.

Even so, if we were to build a straight up ToonTown clone of sorts, Hollywood Blvd isn't a studio setting. Or to keep in with the movie theme, there's no reason why ToonTown couldn't be located as a "working set" located in Toon Studios for the latest Mickey Mouse or Roger Rabbit or Donald Duck short, etc.

Well, first of all, if we were going to revive the studio theme, then how could we possibly make this area fit with the nuts and bolts of filmmaking, which, of course, is (or at least was) the main theme of the park? Hollywood Boulevard doesn't count because its a Main Street of sorts.

I'm also not liking the idea, really, of having only trailers for meet-and-greets. You're just directly meeting the characters. Unlike with their houses, you don't get to see how their surroundings fit them. As for Toon Studios, I honestly think that a real Toontown should exist at Disneyland Paris, a full clone of California's, if for no other reason than to help balance things out in each continent, in North America, in Asia and now in Europe. And to give Europeans a reliable spot for to find Mickey.

And it doesn't have to necessarily be cloned, just have the same elements and theme.

comics101

Well, first of all, if we were going to revive the studio theme, then how could we possibly make this area fit with the nuts and bolts of filmmaking, which, of course, is (or at least was) the main theme of the park? Hollywood Boulevard doesn't count because its a Main Street of sorts.

I'm also not liking the idea, really, of having only trailers for meet-and-greets. You're just directly meeting the characters. Unlike with their houses, you don't get to see how their surroundings fit them. As for Toon Studios, I honestly think that a real Toontown should exist at Disneyland Paris, a full clone of California's, if for no other reason than to help balance things out in each continent, in North America, in Asia and now in Europe. And to give Europeans a reliable spot for to find Mickey.

And it doesn't have to necessarily be cloned, just have the same elements and theme.

A simple trailer wouldn't do, but if that trailer becomes the toon's "home away from home" then it becomes similar to their living space. And a full clone of Toon Studios wouldn't do here in the states, but an idea land like it. I imagine even a different colorscheme, maybe whites, blacks, golds, and reds. The attractions found would be much different as well, no Toy Story Playland or Crush's Coaster...instead would be Roger Rabbit's Trolley Tour (a simulater attraction through Toontown) and Walt's Place, the studio commisary. Of course the m&g's would be located in the studio as well, and so would facades from famous and recognizable Disney Shorts. Perhaps another attraction should be located here as well...

Anywho, I think we're kinda buttin heads and clearly we have very different ideas, so I'm just gonna go ahead and shut up and see where you're headed hahahahahaha

mharrington

Original Poster
Anywho, I think we're kinda buttin heads and clearly we have very different ideas, so I'm just gonna go ahead and shut up and see where you're headed hahahahahaha

I'm not butting heads. I don't even have any ideas at all. Any ideas I have would be probably be either clones of previous rides or carnival-type rides, both of which Disney nuts think are/should be beneath Disney's standards. Those bits and pieces of information that I've put up are not my words, I copied them from elsewhere. Plus, I'm going by what I've heard about the Disney nuts' complaints about how what a mess the Studios are right now and how difficult it will be to clean it up.

nelsond1231

Anything is better than Disney putting Marvel Super heroes in a park. Dont get me wrong i love comics and the movies etc. but putting super heroes that Disney did not create into a world of nothing but Disney would be horrible

mharrington

Original Poster
I never said anything of putting the Marvel heroes into this park!

And then there's The Magic of Disney Animation. Again, there was a time when it was a real working studio, one that produced a lot of the animated movies in the 1990s and into the 2000s. But in 2004, all production of animation were consolidated at Burbank, thus robbing Florida of the great artists. Now what does it have? A simple show, and not the great "Back To Never Land" movie, either. Instead, it was another show that involved an "animator" (quotes, because it's probably just a cast member pretending to be an animator) and personalized the story of the creation of Disney films. And what else does The Magic of Disney Animation have? Not much, I'm afraid, except for some meet-and-greets for the latest movie, probably just plopped down in the area with no concern at all for theme, a few interactive spots and an animation gallery.

So again, how can we fix this area up?

nelsond1231

i know you didnt say anything about marvel i just dont want disney doing an overhaul putting them every where. i think even though its not a working studio they should expand the animation studio area of DHS and have more stuff in that area for all ages

mharrington

Original Poster
i think even though its not a working studio they should expand the animation studio area of DHS and have more stuff in that area for all ages

So basically, more of the same, just much more?

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm so upset. I've just not been up to par with ideas for the non-MK parks. Between Toontown Fair soon to be gone and the Studios in such a mess (based on resources I've read time and time again), that's got me in a bit of a writer's block.

comics101

So basically, more of the same, just much more?

I'm sorry if it seems like I'm so upset. I've just not been up to par with ideas for the non-MK parks. Between Toontown Fair soon to be gone and the Studios in such a mess (based on resources I've read time and time again), that's got me in a bit of a writer's block.

Hahaha I totally understand the frustration. DHS really does seem to be at a sort of roadblock.

As for the Animation Tour, I say gut the building, and create an Animation Tour unlike any other, a dark ride using the JII ride system. The tour should start out seeming like it's just going to any old tour, but quickly turns into a tour through famous Disney Shorts with the Mickey Mouse from EpicMickey leading the way.

Your vehicles enter a hallway with a big room behind glass with a bunch of desks, storyboards, etc, recreating an Animator's office. Behind some desks animators are hard at work on the next Disney short (using the technology that brings Aerosmith to life at R'n'R and Christopher Walken to life in Universal's Disaster!). We can see very clearly that one of the animators are drawing an old fashioned Mickey Mouse, and as soon as he's done all of the animators are called out of the room for a meeting. As Mickey's animator gets up from his desk, he unknowingly knocks over a bottle of golden dust sitting on top of his desk onto the drawing of Mickey Mouse. Suddenly, Mickey litterally jumps from the page and is a real life 2-D animated character. He then proceeds to a giant Mickey-shaped vault (The Disney Vault) and as he opens it magic bursts out. Your vehicle then proceeds on a ride through famous Mickey Mouse and Fab Five shorts, in chronological order of course.

I suppose a story should be developed, but I'm not sure what...I'll think about it and get back to you hahaha

nelsond1231

thats not a bad idea but i would leave out the epic mickey character just because they have enough mickeys they can use so you dont have to bring in a video game version of him but the overall concept not bad what about a ride going through the history of disney movies starting with Snow White through to the most recent showing the new advances in technology they got to use in the movies as time went forward.

comics101

haha maybe I shouldn't have mentioned Epic Mickey. I simply meant that it was the old school Mickey Mouse, the one with a white face and black circle eyes...

MarkTwain

In my view, Disney should drop any pretense of the park being a working studio. I know having a working studio in the park sounds nice, but the reasons for closing the studio were not unsound: having a "satellite" studio in a place as far from Hollywood as Orlando (or for that matter, Paris) turned out to be an extremely inefficient proposition, requiring staff, supplies, and resources constantly being flown coast to coast, requiring big-name celebrities to live in Orlando, which they didn't want to do, and generally just isolating studios too far from the rest of the industry. The "east coast Hollywood" was a fashionable idea in the movie business for a while, and one Disney/Eisner was eager to cash in on, but ultimately one that didn't work for anyone in the industry, and IMO something Disney was smart to back out of. Unfortunately, doing so meant taking the theme of a theme park along with it.

That's why I think Disney needs to give DHS a new theme, free of any notion of the park being a working studio. I think the park would work best presenting itself initially as an idealization of the movie-making era, and then branching out into environments from different movies/genres/franchises. That would allow places like Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, and Pixar Place to remain intact. The Backlot Tour, "soundstages," and maybe even the Streets of America would therefore, in theory, need to be replaced. The Backlot tour would be especially good since it would free up a ton of room and about double the current size of the park, but the Streets of America might be able to be saved, since it can be both a pretty appealing look into both the way movies are filmed and a nice themed environment. With the freed up space, lands dedicated to the Muppets, Marvel, and Lucas films could be built, as well as allowing an expansion of Pixar Place. The Toontown talked about would then be in-theme too, being all at once a movie environment, a fantasy depiction of a part of Hollywood, and a home to the Fab 5, a viable Disney franchise. Doing this would also allow Disney to continue in their current trend of only opening Pixar- and movie-themed attractions, while remaining in theme.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom