Overhaul of Disney's Hollywood Studios (open brainstorming)

jt04

In my view, Disney should drop any pretense of the park being a working studio. I know having a working studio in the park sounds nice, but the reasons for closing the studio were not unsound: having a "satellite" studio in a place as far from Hollywood as Orlando (or for that matter, Paris) turned out to be an extremely inefficient proposition, requiring staff, supplies, and resources constantly being flown coast to coast, requiring big-name celebrities to live in Orlando, which they didn't want to do, and generally just isolating studios too far from the rest of the industry. The "east coast Hollywood" was a fashionable idea in the movie business for a while, and one Disney/Eisner was eager to cash in on, but ultimately one that didn't work for anyone in the industry, and IMO something Disney was smart to back out of. Unfortunately, doing so meant taking the theme of a theme park along with it.

That's why I think Disney needs to give DHS a new theme, free of any notion of the park being a working studio. I think the park would work best presenting itself initially as an idealization of the movie-making era, and then branching out into environments from different movies/genres/franchises. That would allow places like Hollywood Blvd, Sunset Blvd, and Pixar Place to remain intact. The Backlot Tour, "soundstages," and maybe even the Streets of America would therefore, in theory, need to be replaced. The Backlot tour would be especially good since it would free up a ton of room and about double the current size of the park, but the Streets of America might be able to be saved, since it can be both a pretty appealing look into both the way movies are filmed and a nice themed environment. With the freed up space, lands dedicated to the Muppets, Marvel, and Lucas films could be built, as well as allowing an expansion of Pixar Place. The Toontown talked about would then be in-theme too, being all at once a movie environment, a fantasy depiction of a part of Hollywood, and a home to the Fab 5, a viable Disney franchise. Doing this would also allow Disney to continue in their current trend of only opening Pixar- and movie-themed attractions, while remaining in theme.

Well said. The working studios concept is dead. I believe it limits creativity also (sorry Epcotservo) The park should be a showcase of movie history that can be associated with or was inspired by Walt Disney. Even indirectly.

Anyway, here are some ideas I have thought of and also borrowed. A bit at a time.

PIXAR PLACE
Continue expanding Pixar Place as planned with MI in SS1. This is a no brainer since the archway was lifted straight from the movie. Close the BLT and remove the pre-show area for the MI coaster and/or queue. Remove the HISTK area and send it over to the new Animation Inn. Retheme the counter service to Monsters. And the ultimate possibility, build a new Laugh Floor stage and once completed, bring the show over from the MK. (I'm begging! PLEASE! :lol:)

Monsters is the perfect land for this part of Pixar Place because it easily transitions into...

NEW YORK!

(to be continued) :)

steamboat_tyler

First, get rid of the Narnia Prince Caspian thing. That thing is just... no.

Expand Pixar Place. Put in the planned Monster's Inc. Coaster and add a Wall-E dark ride. Find some places to put in a couple meet and greets with Woody, Buzz, Mike, Sully, and UP characters (spacing out, forgot their names. lol)

Get rid of Sounds Dangerous. Run American Idol for another year or 2, then totally get rid of that, and add Roger Rabbit ride, just like the one in DL.

Refurb Great Movie Ride and get rid of Voyage of Little Mermaid once the new Little Mermaid attraction comes to Fantasyland. Add Cinderella themed show, kind of like what Little Mermaid was.

mharrington

Original Poster
Well, I doesn't matter to me where One Man's Dream is located, though I really don't understand why you're so intent on moving it out of this park lol. Personally, I kinda think it'd be cool to have a bunch of OMD style attractions in all four parks. At the Magic Kingdom, you'd have One Man's Dream: Disneyland. Epcot would have One Man's Dream: E.P.C.O.T. DHS would have One Man's Dream: Media King (working name but I think you get the idea). And DAK would have One Man's Dream: Conservation.

But One Man's Dream is more than just museum-like artifacts, there's also the movie that plays, too. How would we fit that into this idea?

comics101

But One Man's Dream is more than just museum-like artifacts, there's also the movie that plays, too. How would we fit that into this idea?

Each area gets it's own video. For example, MK gets a video talking about the history of Walt and Disneyland, Epcot gets a film diving into the history of EPCOT, etc.

mharrington

Original Poster
Each area gets it's own video. For example, MK gets a video talking about the history of Walt and Disneyland, Epcot gets a film diving into the history of EPCOT, etc.

But I don't know if there's the room for theaters to show these movies. Or were you thinking of a small room with a small screen and the video to play as a loop over and over again?

comics101

Idk. I mean, I'm sure there's room in each park to build a theatre...the Main St Cinema could be expanded in MK, There's gotta be a spot in Innoventions for something like this, an expanded Carthay Circle Theatre would be perfect in DHS, and perhaps in DAK it could be located somewhere in Rafiki's Planet Watch...OMD really doesnt seem to take up a ton of space, and would only need about half the room it curently occupys if each park is recieving its own.

mharrington

Original Poster
Idk. I mean, I'm sure there's room in each park to build a theatre...the Main St Cinema could be expanded in MK, There's gotta be a spot in Innoventions for something like this, an expanded Carthay Circle Theatre would be perfect in DHS, and perhaps in DAK it could be located somewhere in Rafiki's Planet Watch...OMD really doesnt seem to take up a ton of space, and would only need about half the room it curently occupys if each park is recieving its own.

How could you expand the Main Street Cinema? There are entrances to shops on both sides. And it's a shop itself now. There's a jewelry shop on the one side and the confectionery on the other. If we were to expand the Cinema, we would have to overtake at least one of the two stores if not both. And then where would the contents of that store go?

comics101

How could you expand the Main Street Cinema? There are entrances to shops on both sides. And it's a shop itself now. There's a jewelry shop on the one side and the confectionery on the other. If we were to expand the Cinema, we would have to overtake at least one of the two stores if not both. And then where would the contents of that store go?

There's a parking lot behind the building. Expand it back. Make the current area the "museum", and then build a theatre behind the Main Street buildings...haha I mean, I don't really know. That's just an idea/suggestion. I suppose there may be other places, but I think the Cinema kinda makes sense...

mharrington

Original Poster
There's a parking lot behind the building. Expand it back. Make the current area the "museum", and then build a theatre behind the Main Street buildings...haha I mean, I don't really know. That's just an idea/suggestion. I suppose there may be other places, but I think the Cinema kinda makes sense...

Well, thematically, it might make sense, but physically, not so much, not when it's landlocked on all sides.

mharrington

Original Poster
But it's not. there's a parking lot right behind it...but that's a completely different story anyway, as this thread is about DHS lol

Right. In any case, several attractions should get scrapped. Among them, the Indiana Jones stunt show, Voyages of the Little Mermaid, and Walt Disney: One Man's Dream.

Now, the Indy show is a stunt show just like the Lights Motors Action show, and it's a bit overkill and superfluous to have two stunt shows in one park, don't you think? What will replace the Indy show? None other than a copy of the Indiana Jones Adventure, that's what. But this version will have its setting and theme a bit different.

Next, the Voyages of the Little Mermaid show will be scrapped, again because a similar attraction will soon be opening, albeit in another park. Again, having two attractions on one subject might be a bit overkill.

Finally, as stated time and time again, the One Man's Dream show will be removed from the park and relocated elsewhere. And I could be mistaken, but I'm pretty sure the parking lot behind Main Street is for cast members.

comics101

Here's a really quick sketch of what I was thinking...

picture.php

poo...that's kinda tiny though hahaha. Well anywho, I think we essentially got rid of the same attractions. I tore out the Indy Stunt Show in favor of a SciFi Studios expansion. There's room there for at least 1 Major E-Ticket with a possible restaurant/M&G/minor attraction. It's also been rumored the cast parking behind Indy would be replaced with an attraction too, so that could expand the SciFi land (I didn't really go into detail with what should be here...maybe Star Trek? Maybe just an expasion of the Star Wars Theme? Idk). Sounds Dangerous would be replaced with a super-elaborate Yoda/R-2 & C3PO M&G, and the Backlot Express would become the SciFi Studios Express, with themed rooms set to Sci Fi movies (like the BlockBuster Cafe in WDS, only this is SciFi). For example one room would be themed to look like the Mois Eisley Cantina...

New York Street (now the New York Studios) hasn't changed too much, though San Fransisco St is gone, and a 1920's theme is put in place. I've also torn out LMA. HISTK and the Studio Catering Co has been ripped out, and the area's been changed into an enclosed building designed to look like an old Vaudville theatre. Inside, guests will find a show dedicated to the Silent Film Era. The show will feature real life actors (painted black and white...everything's black and white) performing their own slapstick stunts, with a screen covering (something that looks like the Disaster stage) allowing for those fancy texts boxes to let us know what the actors are thinking. Guest will be invited onto the stage to join in on the fun (no talking allowed of course...).
The bulk of LMA will be taken by a new Marvel Dark Ride (as for the story I have no idea). A small Marvel Ctyd has been placed in front of the ride, featuring a 21st Century City (but cleaner, and more comic-like). Here you'll find a comic book store and a restaurant...maybe? I really don't know. I also think a M&G should be located somewhere but it's really small...

The Muppet Ctyd has been expanded, and the area is now called The Muppet Studios. Toy Story Pizza Plannet is now The Great Gonzo's Pizza Pandimonium, and Idk what to do with Mama Melrose, but I want that little area to look like a Muppet-fied NY Street...inside the windows youll see an hear Muppets being Muppets. A Muppet Dark ride will take the place of the Old HunchBack Theatre and part of LMA. (I wasn't sure if the ride should be the Muppet Movie Ride or something original, like my Muppet Studio Tour (I'll paste a link later)).

The majority of the Backlot Tour has been replaced with the new Adventure Studio. Here you'll find a Radiers of the Lost Ark rollercoaster (think of it as The Mummy Coaster), a Captain America EMV ride (WWII Setting), and for dining, an Indiana Jones Adventure Restaurant.

Finally, boardering Pixar Studios and The Adventure Backlot is an elaborate Up Dark Ride (PotC and HM-like details), which finishes off Pixar Studios.

Oh, and there's ToonTown behind it... I g2g now tho so I'll explain that in a sec...

ScorpionX

Here's a really quick sketch of what I was thinking...

picture.php

poo...that's kinda tiny though hahaha. Well anywho, I think we essentially got rid of the same attractions. I tore out the Indy Stunt Show in favor of a SciFi Studios expansion. There's room there for at least 1 Major E-Ticket with a possible restaurant/M&G/minor attraction. It's also been rumored the cast parking behind Indy would be replaced with an attraction too, so that could expand the SciFi land (I didn't really go into detail with what should be here...maybe Star Trek? Maybe just an expasion of the Star Wars Theme? Idk). Sounds Dangerous would be replaced with a super-elaborate Yoda/R-2 & C3PO M&G, and the Backlot Express would become the SciFi Studios Express, with themed rooms set to Sci Fi movies (like the BlockBuster Cafe in WDS, only this is SciFi). For example one room would be themed to look like the Mois Eisley Cantina...

New York Street (now the New York Studios) hasn't changed too much, though San Fransisco St is gone, and a 1920's theme is put in place. I've also torn out LMA. HISTK and the Studio Catering Co has been ripped out, and the area's been changed into an enclosed building designed to look like an old Vaudville theatre. Inside, guests will find a show dedicated to the Silent Film Era. The show will feature real life actors (painted black and white...everything's black and white) performing their own slapstick stunts, with a screen covering (something that looks like the Disaster stage) allowing for those fancy texts boxes to let us know what the actors are thinking. Guest will be invited onto the stage to join in on the fun (no talking allowed of course...).
The bulk of LMA will be taken by a new Marvel Dark Ride (as for the story I have no idea). A small Marvel Ctyd has been placed in front of the ride, featuring a 21st Century City (but cleaner, and more comic-like). Here you'll find a comic book store and a restaurant...maybe? I really don't know. I also think a M&G should be located somewhere but it's really small...

The Muppet Ctyd has been expanded, and the area is now called The Muppet Studios. Toy Story Pizza Plannet is now The Great Gonzo's Pizza Pandimonium, and Idk what to do with Mama Melrose, but I want that little area to look like a Muppet-fied NY Street...inside the windows youll see an hear Muppets being Muppets. A Muppet Dark ride will take the place of the Old HunchBack Theatre and part of LMA. (I wasn't sure if the ride should be the Muppet Movie Ride or something original, like my Muppet Studio Tour (I'll paste a link later)).

The majority of the Backlot Tour has been replaced with the new Adventure Studio. Here you'll find a Radiers of the Lost Ark rollercoaster (think of it as The Mummy Coaster), a Captain America EMV ride (WWII Setting), and for dining, an Indiana Jones Adventure Restaurant.

Finally, boardering Pixar Studios and The Adventure Backlot is an elaborate Up Dark Ride (PotC and HM-like details), which finishes off Pixar Studios.

Oh, and there's ToonTown behind it... I g2g now tho so I'll explain that in a sec...
The Marvel ride could be based on Iron Man and Mama Melrose's could be rethemd to the five-star restaurant in New York City the Swedish Chef just opened up. It'd serves Swedish, Italian, and American cuisines. The name could be The Swedish Chef's Ristorante Delizioso.

comics101

The Marvel ride could be based on Iron Man and Mama Melrose's could be rethemd to the five-star restaurant in New York City the Swedish Chef just opened up. It'd serves Swedish, Italian, and American cuisines. The name could be The Swedish Chef's Ristorante Delizioso.

I like that quite a bit. Cept for the Marvel attraction, I'm thinkin since the only other Marvel ride in the park is based on Cptn America we should do a ride through several Marvel Origin stories, Starting with The Human Torch and Sub-Mariner, moving on to the Fantastic Four, the X-Men, Spiderman, Iron Man, and the Avengers. It'd litterally be a ride through a Comic Book too (as each story ends, the cover closes and another opens) And it'd use Universal's Spiderman Technology.

As for ToonTown, it sucks because I did it in pencil and I didn't go over it dark enough hahaha. I'll have to trace it later. Anyway, essentially what I did was completely get rid of the VotLM showbuilding. The OMD building has been converted into a theatre with a stage, housing the Bolt show that was talked about earlier here. With the VotLM building gone, this allowed for a nice entrance to ToonTown, which will consist mostly of just facades and M&G's. The best part of ToonTown though is the Roger Rabbit darkride, located in the newly expanded Narnia showbuilding.

Idk if any of this stuff makes sense to you guys or not. When I get a little bit of time I'll darken the map so you can see it, cause I'm pretty sure you'll totally understand what I mean once you do. Anyways, there's my solution to DHS' identity crisis...

mharrington

Original Poster
I don't know about the Roger Rabbit ride, what with all the legal issues and whatnot. And I also think that simply doing facades and meet-n-greets here is simply relocating Toontown from one park to another.

Also, I wanted to momentarily return to the Great Movie Ride. I want to also do something with that ride's opening scene, which is themed to "Footlight Parade". David Koenig stated about it in "Realityland":

The ride's most problematic scene was its first, an extravagant set piece from Busby Berkeley's musical "Footlight Parade", featuring dozens of 1930s bathing beauties rotating on a gigantic, five-tiered cake, as fountains of water shot forth and bubbles filled the room. As the years went on, they would gradually give up on the scene, first by covering the cake with a partially-see-through scrim, then by removing the art deco details and showgirls on diving boards that led up to the cake, and by turning off the fanciful lighting, fountains, bubble machine, and the cake's rotating mechanism.

So, seeing as how this scene is so complicated, what should be done here?

comics101

I don't know about the Roger Rabbit ride, what with all the legal issues and whatnot. And I also think that simply doing facades and meet-n-greets here is simply relocating Toontown from one park to another.

Also, I wanted to momentarily return to the Great Movie Ride. I want to also do something with that ride's opening scene, which is themed to "Footlight Parade". David Koenig stated about it in "Realityland":

The ride's most problematic scene was its first, an extravagant set piece from Busby Berkeley's musical "Footlight Parade", featuring dozens of 1930s bathing beauties rotating on a gigantic, five-tiered cake, as fountains of water shot forth and bubbles filled the room. As the years went on, they would gradually give up on the scene, first by covering the cake with a partially-see-through scrim, then by removing the art deco details and showgirls on diving boards that led up to the cake, and by turning off the fanciful lighting, fountains, bubble machine, and the cake's rotating mechanism.

So, seeing as how this scene is so complicated, what should be done here?

I've been thinking about this for some time as well actually. I know technically this is the "musicals" section of the ride, but what if we switched the scene out with a Charlie Chaplain movie? We could use the screen technique I talked about above for the silent show. We could even make everything in the scene black & white for added effect.
If you wanted to keep it musicals, I've always though an Elvis Presley film(though placing it here wouldn't be chronologically correct) should be featured in the attraction. Jailhouse Rock would be perfect, with Elvis taking center stage.
Idk. Are you thinking that maybe there should be something a little more dramatic, that could be an opening for the ride? Cause if so I suppose those ideas wouldn't work very well...

mharrington

Original Poster
Are you thinking that maybe there should be something a little more dramatic, that could be an opening for the ride? Cause if so I suppose those ideas wouldn't work very well...

It should start off on a dramatic note. It did very well with "Footlight Parade", but as David stated, it's problematic. KentB3 once proposed another Disney Studios park of their own complete with its own Great Movie Ride, but with different movies, such as "Gold Diggers of 1933" and its song, "We're In the Money", replacing "Footlight Parade", with its song "By a Waterfall".

We could probably do something like that here. We could actually replace "Footlight" with "Gold Diggers" here. How about that?

comics101

It should start off on a dramatic note. It did very well with "Footlight Parade", but as David stated, it's problematic. KentB3 once proposed another Disney Studios park of their own complete with its own Great Movie Ride, but with different movies, such as "Gold Diggers of 1933" and its song, "We're In the Money", replacing "Footlight Parade", with its song "By a Waterfall".

We could probably do something like that here. We could actually replace "Footlight" with "Gold Diggers" here. How about that?

Go for it. I mean, I've never actually seen Gold Diggers but if you think that's the best way to go, why not. You could do the movie Chicago...or Yankee Doodle Dandy. Heck, Beauty and the Beast is on the Greatest Musicals List if I'm not mistaken (though I may be), a "Be Our Guest" sequence could be cool...Idk.
Honestly, I stand by Jailhouse Rock too hahaha. I still think that'd be sweet.

i know a lot of people are against it but financially i think it would be a good idea to put some more trill rides in DHS. With TOT and RnR already there they could make DHS a place for teens, adults and little kids. along with new thrill rides i think they should put more rides for little kids like a 4d ride giving universal even more competition. there is so much space in DHS and im not sure why they dont use it:brick:

comics101

i know a lot of people are against it but financially i think it would be a good idea to put some more trill rides in DHS. With TOT and RnR already there they could make DHS a place for teens, adults and little kids. along with new thrill rides i think they should put more rides for little kids like a 4d ride giving universal even more competition. there is so much space in DHS and im not sure why they dont use it:brick:

Actually, I'm finding DHS has virtually no space. When you take out the Backlot Tour, there's room for about 2 major attractions. that's it. Taking out the Indy Stuntshow leaves you with virtually the same situation, though one big ride, and one rather small one...the park was placed in litterally the worst possibly place int he world.

I do semi-agree a few more thrill rides wouldn't hurt DHS at all. But for everything thrill ride a familyfriendly attraction/dark ride should be added...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom