Trip Report Our "It's 'Disney' real" June 2016 trip

We're back!!:(:( We had a fantastic time with some not so fantastic moments thrown in, but what trip doesn't have those!

For those of you that haven't read my pre-trip report, here is a quick synopsis:
Who: Me (Amy), my husband Brian, and our kids Logan (13), Lily (11), and Owen (8)
What: 10 day trip with free dining
When: June 2-11, 2016
Where: Caribbean Beach resort

Unfortunately, our flight was set to leave from Columbus at 5:30am. We live in Dayton, which is a little over an hour away from Columbus, so my goal was to leave our house by 3am on Thursday, June 2. We made it!!

Everyone was very excited!

We made it to the airport before the security check even opened!:eek: By the time we got our bags checked in to Southwest, we only had to wait a few minutes to get through security.
We were in early boarding group A, so we were on the plane in no time! Still excited!

We got to see the sun coming up once we were in the air.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
@TheMouseFan I have a non trip report question When you went to Disney for the bounce back offer you mentioned you went to the entrance of HS to watch the fireworks. How was the view? Could you hear the music along with the fireworks?
I could hear the actual music, but not anything that was being said on the stage. The view was fantastic! Not sure if it would be the same for the new Star Wars show though since they say the fireworks are off center.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Loving the report! I was honestly thinking about skipping DHS on our next trip, but these pics have made me re-think it!
It certainly would be a hard decision with a little one! My three finally like all of the big thrill rides, so I think there would be a rebellion if we didn't hit DHS at least one day! So jealous you are going back in the spring!!

ScarletBegonias

It certainly would be a hard decision with a little one! My three finally like all of the big thrill rides, so I think there would be a rebellion if we didn't hit DHS at least one day! So jealous you are going back in the spring!!

Hubby loves all the star wars stuff, and there is a bunch of things Harper would love like the Frozen sing a long, and Disney Jr. show. Also TSMM, and in the past 2 trips we STILL have not done GMR! There ARE things we can do, so I hate to skip it, plus ToT!!!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Sunday, June 5
Sunday was our first day at MK. We had a pre-park opening ADR, so we were at the bus stop early, and waited longer than I thought we would/should. Every day, it didn't matter which park we were going to, it seemed like multiple buses for all the other parks would come before one for the park we wanted! Whatever, we got there and were let in at about 7:45.

Again, I was disappointed that no PP photographers were available.

Last edited:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Finally, we headed over to check in.

While I was standing in line, they started the Welcome Show, then we saw people streaming down MSUSA.:eek: Apparently, they changed the hours so MK opened at 8 instead of 9. I was sooooo not a happy camper at that point, but there was nothing that could be done, so I just kept taking pics while we were waiting to be called in.

We were seated quickly, and this was our view:

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
Tigger came around really quickly.

Followed closely by Piglet.

Then, we had a break in the characters and were able to go get food.

I love this buffet! I could eat my weight in the puffed french toast with the strawberries and sauce on them! Not to mention that breakfast lasagna!! Now, no matter how much I enjoy the food, I still don't think it is worth the price they charge (especially when 2 of my kids are "adults"!! However, this is one meal we will probably continue to pay for, because I actually enjoy the food, and for me it is not all about the characters.
We were starting to wonder if we were going to see Eeyore and Pooh! In fact, I told the kids that we may not wait for them because they were taking so long! Just as we were giving up hope, Eeyore showed up.

Then, finally, Pooh came around!

Then, Brian took the kids outside to get them all sunscreened up while I finished up with the bill. I was also frantically checking wait times to see where we would go first!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
The kids decided they wanted to ride Space Mountain since it was still listed as a 10 min. wait. I was pleasantly surprised that all three of them wanted to ride, however, Brian doesn't do Space Mountain because it really triggers his motion sickness. So, I looked to him before we made a final decision, and he said he would just sit it out, no big deal. So we headed to TomorrowLand.

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
And here is where the day (and really the rest of the trip) started falling apart!:(
Brian decided he was going to ride with us. Can we all just guess what happened!?! Yep,:hungover: he felt horrible after!! I tried to tell him that he really didn't need to prove anything to the kids, and he should just sit it out, especially after just finishing breakfast! But no, he had to prove he would be fine, and he felt horrible the rest of the day. Which, of course, didn't help when the kids started picking at each other! They were at each other all day. Not sure what the deal was that day, but it didn't get much better until closer to the end of the trip! Brian was ready to go home later that day. Not kidding, I really think he was serious for awhile!! (He still insists we are not taking the kids back, EVER! I did finally get him to agree that maybe he and I could go back sometime for Flower and Garden!!)
Ok, so on with the report! We all got on Space Mountain. Unfortunately, Lily and Brian both must have been wearing older MagicBands, because their picture didn't show up!:(

Can I just tell you how uncomfortable Space Mountain is when you are leaning over and trying to maintain contact with the person in front of you!!:rolleyes: Seriously, it was bad, but that is what Owen wanted! Luckily, he did not require that on the rest of our rides!!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
After, the kids wanted to ride the PeopleMover. Unfortunately, it was down, so they settled for Buzz since the wait was still short. I decided to sit this one out so nobody would have to ride alone. It is definitely not a favorite of mine, so I was not too disappointed to miss it!:D

I just wandered and took pics!!

I overheard a CM telling another guest that the TTA would be closed all day.:(

Apparently, part way through the ride Owen started whining and pouting because he was doing so poorly compared to Brian, so I guess he got fed up and just stopped trying! (That really helped Brian's mood that day!:banghead:)

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
@TheMouseFan in 2013 I swore I'd never take my kids on another Disney vacation. Look at me now. 22 days and it's all 5 of us plus one friend. What am I thinking! o_O
What are you thinking? Just kidding!! I'm sure we will change our minds eventually, but we went to the zoo last weekend and they were horrible to each other! I'm hoping they will outgrow it soon!

JustPlainBill

He still insists we are not taking the kids back, EVER!
I understand completely. Our last trip to WDW with our girls was in 2008 when they were 10 and 8. Our kids acted up, didn't want to go on the rides and got cranky and complained. They just wanted to go in the pool all the time back at the hotel. We had our good days and bad. My wife has been dead set against ever bringing our kids back again. She would only consider going back alone with me, which I understand but it would break my heart to ever go back without our daughters. Our girls are 18 and 16 now and the older one is wanting to go back. She never really showed much interest in WDW before but seems quite insistent on going back now. The girls have been working on my wife for the past couple of months, trying to convince her they're not the same as they were and have changed. We had done back to back trips then having been to WDW in 2007 as well. We thought the problems we had in 2007 wouldn't reappear in 2008. We should have waited a couple more years I guess. Good news is my wife is considering going back, not next year but maybe the next after. She still isn't 100% convinced and grumbles about changing her mind, but I told her if the kids act up, this time they're old enough for us to split off from them and walk away and go off on our own for awhile, sometimes you just need a break, but not a divorce. After raising kids and doing everything with them, all the time, parents need a break. It's just for her and for me I guess we expected our daughters to share the same excitement we both had when we were kids going to WDW and we were disappointed tremendously. I see them as just being kids, but my wife has always been the tough one one. I'm butter in my daughter's hands!

TheMouseFan

Original Poster
I understand completely. Our last trip to WDW with our girls was in 2008 when they were 10 and 8. Our kids acted up, didn't want to go on the rides and got cranky and complained. They just wanted to go in the pool all the time back at the hotel. We had our good days and bad. My wife has been dead set against ever bringing our kids back again. She would only consider going back alone with me, which I understand but it would break my heart to ever go back without our daughters. Our girls are 18 and 16 now and the older one is wanting to go back. She never really showed much interest in WDW before but seems quite insistent on going back now. The girls have been working on my wife for the past couple of months, trying to convince her they're not the same as they were and have changed. We had done back to back trips then having been to WDW in 2007 as well. We thought the problems we had in 2007 wouldn't reappear in 2008. We should have waited a couple more years I guess. Good news is my wife is considering going back, not next year but maybe the next after. She still isn't 100% convinced and grumbles about changing her mind, but I told her if the kids act up, this time they're old enough for us to split off from them and walk away and go off on our own for awhile, sometimes you just need a break, but not a divorce. After raising kids and doing everything with them, all the time, parents need a break. It's just for her and for me I guess we expected our daughters to share the same excitement we both had when we were kids going to WDW and we were disappointed tremendously. I see them as just being kids, but my wife has always been the tough one one. I'm butter in my daughter's hands!
See, now I have no problem whatsoever going with just the two of us. I just want to be able to take a family vacation again as well! Mine wanted to be there, and wanted to ride the rides, the youngest just didn't want to wait in any lines and wanted to go swimming! I'm hoping we'll let them get a little older, and be able to try again! It just seems like there are always 2 of them at each other, and it's never the same ones not getting along! I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you that you'll get to go back soon!!

ScarletBegonias

On my first trip (1996) my step sister and I fought and complained the entire time. A few days in my mom had a slight breakdown and started packing all the bags and said we were going home. It scared us, I think we got it together after that, but seeing how much goes into it as an adult, I think I'd get frustrated too!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom