Our first DVC trip - HELP!

quirkle

Original Poster
We are looking to go down anytime from 8/5 to 8/21 for 8 nights. Our home is AKL but I would love to split the stay for an EPCOT or MK resort. I am on and searching and just do not know what to do. We were at the world for 12 days in December so this could be a more relaxing trip - since it will be hot. We are driving from CT. LOL

We would be getting a Studio due to points - but is a 1 bedroom worth it?

1) Is Savannah at Kidani worth it? We have 2 kids 8 & 11
2) If I split would I book my whole trip and then waitlist for parts at the other resorts?
3) Boardwalk or Beach Club?
4) At Boardwalk - boardwalk view or garden?
5) Why can't we book GFV?
6) Do you feel "way out there" at AKL?

slappy magoo

We would be getting a Studio due to points - but is a 1 bedroom worth it? That's a YMMV kinda question. My wife and I like a little privacy from the kids so we get 1BR villas, but if we were in a position where we only had the points for a studio and couldn't either rent DVC points from other members or pay for a few nights in cash in order to use points for a 1BR villa, we'd make do with a studio.

1) Is Savannah at Kidani worth it? We have 2 kids 8 & 11 - again, YMMV. I'm sure the kids will love it, but it depends on how often you think you'll be in your room enjoying that view. It'd probably nice for the grownups, to hang out on the balcony at night for a bit while the kids sleep. Unless your kids are night owls or you're all early birds.

2) If I split would I book my whole trip and then waitlist for parts at the other resorts? - At this point, you can book both resorts if you choose to split stay, but I'd suggest calling and talking to a rep, so they can look up resort A, put it in a temporary hold while they look up what's available in Resort B, and make sure you can do the split. And if you can't, then you book the whole trip in Resort A and waitlist. If I'm wrong or if there's abetter way, I'm sure someone will correct me but I think that's the best way to go about it.

3) Boardwalk or Beach Club? - Not having stayed at Beach Club, I prefer the layout and themeing of Boardwalk, but Stormalong Bay is kinda awesome. Tough call.

4) At Boardwalk - boardwalk view or garden? - Garden, save points, and it tends to be quieter.

5) Why can't we book GFV? - My guess, it's all booked. There aren't a lot of room there, and it's the new popular resort.

6) Do you feel "way out there" at AKL? - It's a tradeoff. AKL is such a unique resort, so beautiful, that for a lot of people it's worth being a few extra minutes away from the parks. But if your family is a pack of park commandos who want to be hitting the E-tickets from dawn to dusk, it may make you a bit impatient. But also, if you're park commandos, staying in a studio and not having a view are probably decent tradeoffs, you know what I mean?

Last edited:

quirkle

Original Poster
Thank you guys so much. I'll be calling member services today to figure all this out. This is a very last minute trip for me and so new. I've have over 30 trips to wdw and it's weird to feel like a newbie. Lol:p

slappy magoo

Good luck, hope you get what you want. Just remember DVC is ideal for people who like to plan their trips far (FAR) in advance, so with such a quick turnaround your pickings may be slim.

jim1051

Make your reserv. at 11 month window for home resort. Call back at 7 month window and change a few days to whatever resort you want that is available.

Phonedave

We are looking to go down anytime from 8/5 to 8/21 for 8 nights. Our home is AKL but I would love to split the stay for an EPCOT or MK resort. I am on and searching and just do not know what to do. We were at the world for 12 days in December so this could be a more relaxing trip - since it will be hot. We are driving from CT. LOL

2) If I split would I book my whole trip and then waitlist for parts at the other resorts?

My opinions - others vary.

1) Is Savannah at Kidani worth it? We have 2 kids 8 & 11 - No - and my two kids feel the same way (who at roughly 8 & 11, stayed in a Savanah view at Jambo)
2) If I split would I book my whole trip and then waitlist for parts at the other resorts? - If you have to, you could do so. Just make sure you make any final changes before the points become locked in to this year.
3) Boardwalk or Beach Club? - This is one where the kids and I disagree. They love the pool at BC. Me, I like Boardwalk much better. Both are in an awesome location (if you are an EPCOT fan)
4) At Boardwalk - boardwalk view or garden? - BW view can be noisy for some (did not matter to me, but noises dont keep me awake)
5) Why can't we book GFV? - Good questions
6) Do you feel "way out there" at AKL - It is not as if you feel remote, but when taking the bus, I definately notice the extra time it takes. (Unless you are going to AK that is)

-dave

quirkle

Original Poster
Normally I am an uber planner. I planned my last trip at the first day you could book which was well over a year before my trip. This is not like me. :)

Gomer

I can only answer number 6, but I definitely don’t feel “way out there” at AKL. There is so much activity at the resort itself, it feels like a little city unto itself. Like some others mentioned, the only noticeable difference is the travel time to MK via bus. It’s a long one, especially if you get stuck standing at the end of the night. But I find its worth it for the benefits (Great theming, great restaurants, animals, lower point cost if you can snag a value room, etc…)

Chezman1399

1: I'd say yes, that's the main draw of the resort
2: I have no experience with split trips
3: Beach Club
4:Boardwalk, although I've never stayed there
5:It's a brand new DVC resort with the smallest capacity of all the DVC's in Disney World, and a portion of the rooms are "Guaranteed Week" rooms, all of this makes availability low before 11 month booking even starts. Keep checking!!
6:AKL does feel a ways out there, the bus rides, particularly at night and when you have reservations seem to take forever (about 17-22 minutes) from what I could tell from when I've stayed there. Kidani feels even more remote to me. At least at Jambo there is a restaurant in the resort.

jpittore1

Kidani may not have as much "Buzz" going on in the lobby as Jambo house, but Kidani has a great restaurant Sanaa that I feel is a hidden gem.

I also feel AKL bus service for Jambo and Kidani is very good. We have stayed there for the last five years and we feel they keep very strong levels for the transportation to this resort.

As for the savanna room? If you plan on a park vacation then save your points. If you have room days definitely get a savanna room. The Jambo house has many free and paid for children activities during the day to complete (ie scavenger hunt, decorate an ostrich egg, etc).

quirkle

Original Poster
We just went in December so this will hopefully be a more relaxing pace. My kids have not been in the summer in years and they will be shocked when we say - lets go back to the resort.

lostpro9het

We just went in December so this will hopefully be a more relaxing pace. My kids have not been in the summer in years and they will be shocked when we say - lets go back to the resort.
If you stay at AKL you may be shocked to hear your kids offer the suggestion first, we were!

DVCPluto

Normally I am an uber planner. I planned my last trip at the first day you could book which was well over a year before my trip. This is not like me. :)

I'm also a planner - DVC makes it pretty easy since you have set windows at 11 and 7 mo. I'm no longer pulling my hair out trying to get the best deal on hotels - following every coupon code, etc. LOVE that at 11 mo or 7 mo - we just book!

We're taking our 3rd DVC trip to AKV - Kidani in Dec and we were excited to get a Savanna view. I definitely think it would be worth the points! But, I'm an animal person and the idea of waking up and seeing wildlife out my window thrills me.

We stayed at BWV on our first trip, and absolutely loved the location. Walking to EP is amazing - especially at night. BLT was our second trip - and home - and I am so glad we bought there. I LOVE being a short walk to MK.

IMO - you can't go wrong with any of the choices you are considering.

Jamie J

Is savannah view worth the points?

Depends...I've been in both room types. It was great coming home at night and looking out and seeing 2 giraffes sitting outside my window, however, I'd rather save some points.

OKW is my favorite DVC and my home is at BLT. Plus, you probably wouldn't have an issues getting a room there. And the best thing, the rooms are HUGE!

PhilharMagician

Definitely Savanna View.

We always split our stay, but we would go for 2 weeks. Typically 1 week in AKL Villas and the other in BLT or Beach Club. This is of course depends on if I can get my requested resorts.

Beach Club for us. The pool is a real highlight specially for the kids.

The Boardwalk View/Preferred View is not worth the huge jump in points IMHO. Go with the Standard View.

Don't know why you cannot book. Maybe the demand was so high that they put a temporary restriction of some sort on booking. I would have to assume that it was booked completely months ago for your August time frame.

AKL is not that that far out of the way. MK is the long haul for AKL guests, but that would be the same for the MK resort area guests heading to Animal Kingdom. Travel is only a few minutes longer and not really an issue.

The biggest problem I see is that booking any DVC vacation stay @ WDW requires booking it as close to 11 months for your home resort and typically right @ 7 months for other WDW DVC resorts. SSR is typically the only exception because of it's sheer size that it has availability within the 7 months except for holiday times. I also have had moderately good luck with wait lists in the past, so if you don't get what you want just ask to be wait listed and they will member services will let you know if your request is filled.

quirkle

Original Poster
Thanks guys - Maybe we should change ssr to OKW? I would have stayed at AKL the whole time but they were booked too.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom