Our ADR choices for December

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Just booked our trip for December after getting a free dining offer in the mail. I really wanted Coronado Springs and all that was available was a concierge business class room. We went with it, I'm interested to find out more about concierge level.
Anyways - I decided to go with some one credit restaurants that I have never been before. A lot of these I feel like are not as popular hence why I haven't been to them. Just wondered what you all think or if I should make any changes.

12/2 Tonys Town Square - we will get in a half hour before the MSEP. I did this since we don't really care to fights crowds for a seat on the curb. I was hoping we might be able to see it go by from the restaurant. I've never been there though so I don't know.

12/3 Sanaa - I have a really picky eater in the group, but I have been wanting to try this forever! She said we could always grab something afterwards if she really does not like it.

12/4 Mama Melrose - wanted something in the studios so we are around for Osbourne lights. Studios is not our favorite so I planned to just be there that day and then we don't have to go back if we end up not having extra time.

12/5 The Wave - my mom loves the Contemporary so she wanted to try this one. We've done California Grill before and loved it but decided to use all one credits to make the most of the dining plan.

12/6 Olivia's Cafe - I'm not sure about this one but none of us have been to Old Key West and agreed we would like to have a reason to go there.

12/7 Turf Club - same reason as Olivia's - wanted to check out Saratoga Springs

Some maybes were Tutto Italia, Via Napoli, Sci-Fi, Liberty Tree Tavern, Marrakesh
I can prob still switch if anyone can convince me another one is better.

Thanks all!

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Awesome! I am really excited for that one specifically. Just hope my cousin finds something she likes as well cause I am dying to go there!

The Incredible Schmulk

You have good reasons for eating at both Mama Melrose and Tony's, so I will spare you my typical vitriol for the two spots. I've read on here many times before that a window-side seat at Tony's for the parade is tough get. Good luck on that. Hope you get it!

As for the rest of the picks, I think you did a great job. Sanaa is especially good, and Olivia's is a bit of a hidden gem. It's an easy reservation in a quaint resort that serves very good food. The menu is small, but it's all good stuff.

ginadee

I will be there the same time as you with free dining as well. So excited. Have never had free dining before. We have booked 1900 Park Fare, Sci Fi, Ohana, Be Our Guest, Coral Reef and Kona.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
You have good reasons for eating at both Mama Melrose and Tony's, so I will spare you my typical vitriol for the two spots. I've read on here many times before that a window-side seat at Tony's for the parade is tough get. Good luck on that. Hope you get it!

As for the rest of the picks, I think you did a great job. Sanaa is especially good, and Olivia's is a bit of a hidden gem. It's an easy reservation in a quaint resort that serves very good food. The menu is small, but it's all good stuff.

Yeah the MSEP idea was more just a hope we might be able to see it from inside. We like the parade but have seen it a bunch so we weren't keen on trying to find a spot an hour early. I thought dinner might be fun during and then we can head out for Wishes.

Are you saying since Tony's and Mama Melrose are both Italian it would make more sense to do one or the other? I've never been to any of the Italian restaurants just because I usually steer clear since good Italian is found all over at home. If you were only going to go to one which do you prefer?
If there is another studios restaurant better (besides 50s and Brown Derby) I'm all ears!

I've been to most of the really popular first choices that people tend to pick so we were trying to go a little off the radar. Plus I didn't make the plans 180 out.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
I will be there the same time as you with free dining as well. So excited. Have never had free dining before. We have booked 1900 Park Fare, Sci Fi, Ohana, Be Our Guest, Coral Reef and Kona.

You are going to love free dining! It is so fun! Which resort did you choose?
I love all your choices! Kona might be my favorite restaurant of all. The atmosphere isn't the best but the food is phenomenal! Also love Coral Reef!!!

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
The only one of those that I can speak to is Tony's. The appetizers were pretty good, entrees were nothing to write home about but the desserts were awesome. If they offer it, I had a cappuccino/espresso cheesecake that was amazing.

Sweet Melissa

Are you saying since Tony's and Mama Melrose are both Italian it would make more sense to do one or the other? I've never been to any of the Italian restaurants just because I usually steer clear since good Italian is found all over at home. If you were only going to go to one which do you prefer?

I'll speak for Pug on this one since he's my fiancé and we share the same feelings on this subject. If you're a fan of Italian food, I would not recommend Tony's or Mama Melrose at all. Neither are good representations of the cuisine. When we've dined at the in-park Italian restaurants, we've always left feeling like we've wasted time eating a meal that we could prepare far better ourselves. The best Italian restaurant in Disney World is Il Mulino at the Swan. The only other one we really enjoy is Portobello at Downtown Disney.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
The only one of those that I can speak to is Tony's. The appetizers were pretty good, entrees were nothing to write home about but the desserts were awesome. If they offer it, I had a cappuccino/espresso cheesecake that was amazing.

Good to know. Hopefully they have that same dessert because that sounds amazing.
I've heard before the food is just so so. It's pretty easy to please my mother. Not really fine diners. Since I've moved more near a city then where I grew up, I'd say I do a lot more fine dining but really I like almost anywhere unless it's just nasty.
I'm anticipating we will enjoy it and it might not be our favorite.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
I'll speak for Pug on this one since he's my fiancé and we share the same feelings on this subject. If you're a fan of Italian food, I would not recommend Tony's or Mama Melrose at all. Neither are good representations of the cuisine. When we've dined at the in-park Italian restaurants, we've always left feeling like we've wasted time eating a meal that we could prepare far better ourselves. The best Italian restaurant in Disney World is Il Mulino at the Swan. The only other one we really enjoy is Portobello at Downtown Disney.

I appreciate the review. I did second guess my decision to do both as I've heard before that both are just ok. But then sometimes I hear Tony's has gotten way better then the past.
I've never been to Portabello - that one interests me as well.
Oh gosh I might need to switch.
We do most of our dining usually at resorts so I wanted something in the Studios. Seems most of their restaurants are just ok.

Bob

B00b
Premium Member
Good to know. Hopefully they have that same dessert because that sounds amazing.
I've heard before the food is just so so. It's pretty easy to please my mother. Not really fine diners. Since I've moved more near a city then where I grew up, I'd say I do a lot more fine dining but really I like almost anywhere unless it's just nasty.
I'm anticipating we will enjoy it and it might not be our favorite.

We've eaten lunch there twice for whatever that is worth to you. Unfortunately there aren't too many TS options at MK. Whenever we're at that park we tend to leave to one of the local resorts to get a bite to eat.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
We've eaten lunch there twice for whatever that is worth to you. Unfortunately there aren't too many TS options at MK. Whenever we're at that park we tend to leave to one of the local resorts to get a bite to eat.

Us too as far as eating at resorts!
The parks must just not have to rely on their food as much as the resorts because they know a lot of people will eat there out of pure convenience.

I haven't taken my daughter yet who is 1 and she is not going this Dec. I imagine when I do take her it will be a lot less resort meals and more in park meals.

ginadee

You are going to love free dining! It is so fun! Which resort did you choose?
I love all your choices! Kona might be my favorite restaurant of all. The atmosphere isn't the best but the food is phenomenal! Also love Coral Reef!!!
Staying at POP and upgraded to regular dining. I kept hearing about Tonga Toast on this forum and looked it up, saw a pic then immediately booked at Kona. Most of these restaurants are new to me. Thats what Im trying to do on this trip. 1st time things.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
Staying at POP and upgraded to regular dining. I kept hearing about Tonga Toast on this forum and looked it up, saw a pic then immediately booked at Kona. Most of these restaurants are new to me. Thats what Im trying to do on this trip. 1st time things.

Ohhhh so you are going to Kona for breakfast. I haven't done that but their dinner is amazing so I am sure their breakfast is as well. I've heard of the Tonga Toast. We are not huge on breakfast so we are doing all dinners.

Have you been to POP before? I loved it there when we stayed. Hope to hear about your trip and compare when you get back!

ginadee

Ohhhh so you are going to Kona for breakfast. I haven't done that but their dinner is amazing so I am sure their breakfast is as well. I've heard of the Tonga Toast. We are not huge on breakfast so we are doing all dinners.

Have you been to POP before? I loved it there when we stayed. Hope to hear about your trip and compare when you get back!
I have not stayed at POP. Our original reserv were at AOA where I really wanted to stay because its new but the DP was not valid for AOA so we switched. Im still just as excited. It looks pretty neat.

Shere_Khan

Original Poster
I think you made a good choice. Even though AOA is new, the dining plan is really a great experience unlike anything else. POP is really nice and still seems new to me so I think you will love it!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom