Our 2011, 11 Nights of Magic Trip Report

Bare with me on this Trip Report, it's my first and I'm one busy momma so it might take some time to complete. This trip started out being booked as our usual 8 nighter at our 2nd home BLT. The DH got a bit pumped about that 30% off resort deal and sprinkled some pixie dust (the Disney Visa card) and we added 3 nights at The Polynesian. We had never stayed there, have always been fans and thought this was a great opp to check it out. Yes, we were a little nervous of how our family of 5 would manage the studio room but we were just going to go for it.
Our family of 5 includes, myself, Beth, the DH, Lucas, DD6 Alexa, DS4 Liam and our little princess (AKA monster) 18 months Brielle.

Summer-Disney013.jpg

Here they are enjoying Brielle's little pool together earlier this summer.

Supporting cast would be my father and brother for the duration. My sister and her boyfriend would crash our party for a few nights too. We pretty much always welcome the helping hands on our trips.

I have always been the one quoted "Disney is for all ages". With a big cheesy magical smile. My new answer to the Disney age question is "maybe 18 months is not the best age for Disney". She kept us on our toes but once we had her needs and limits figured out we managed just fine and truly did have a magical trip.

We flew out of Bradley, I ordered a Vodka Tonic to ease the pain of keeping Bree busy. She did great the first hour, started getting a bit restless and then we were in the middle of a kicking and screaming (I may use that phrase again a little later) meltdown. It only lasted 20 minutes but felt like an hour. I got her calmed down and sleeping when the flight attendant came over to tell me to buckle up we would be landing soon. So my sweet baby's 20 minute power nap was over. But we were in Orlando, yay! :sohappy:

Funny, she's screaming at me right now for her nap. I'll be back!

Mukta

I just found this report today! Your family is so beautiful. I love reading about your trip. Would you stay at the Poly again?

bmarkelon

Original Poster
To be continued....

My town was hit pretty hard by Irene and I am still without power. Fortunately we were able to come stay wih my mother in law for now. I have no Internet though, so it will be a little bit before I can continue our adventures! Thanks for reading and I can't wait to finish!

switts

My town was hit pretty hard by Irene and I am still without power. Fortunately we were able to come stay wih my mother in law for now. I have no Internet though, so it will be a little bit before I can continue our adventures! Thanks for reading and I can't wait to finish!

We got lucky up here just got alot of rain and some wind. But nothing major like they had said on the news all week. everyone in my area was in a panic about it

HouCuseChickie

I'm so sorry to hear your area had serious storm issues. :( I was wondering since we hadn't seen any updates...I had my fingers crossed that it was just a lack of power- i.e. frustrating, but could be worse. I really hope everything is better soon! Hopefully everyone is well- that's the most important thing. Keep us posted.

bmarkelon

Original Poster
Hello, hello! I have really been missing the boards. Just wanted to give everyone our hurricane update. The family was all safe and sound through the storm. A tree almost fell on our house but luckily was caught by a rather strong branch of another, phew! It would have landed on the kids bedrooms, someone was looking out! I will post pictures of the tree when I upload them. My neighborhood was without power for 6 days! I came back home and our power came back that afternoon. Irene had been downgraded to a Tropical Storm just before she reached us, can't even think about how much worse it would have been for us had she remained at the hurricane level. Feels so good to be home again with power and my internet. I felt so isolated in Oxford, not my kinda town.

Back to our trip......

Ah yes, girls' night with my sister. After Mizner's lounge we hopped back on the monorail. We considered getting off at the Magic Kingdom but knew it was cutting it too close to Wishes and didn't want to deal with the rush down Main Street. So, we headed back to BLT I flashed my DVC member card and we were on our way up to the "Top of the World" lounge to watch the fireworks. We ran into my dad, brother and Allison's bf up there. After our beautiful view of Wishes from the deck up there we went in for one last beverage. My sister had a Mai Tai and I had some Pomegranate cocktail that was quite nice. We laughed some more and called it a night. No harm done, no hangovers just a good innocent and responsible time out in the Disney resorts.

Next day, Thursday was a Hollywood Studios day. We had our game plan set for TSM. We put our name in for our breakfast reservation at Play and Dine while my brother and sister's bf ran over with our passes to get FPs with a return time of about 11, perfect!! The kids always have fun at this breakfast. I actually like it a lot too, I sing along to all those Disney Junior songs and I love the breakfast burrito bar, yummy!

Summer-Disney201.jpg

Bree checking out June's pretty shoes.

Summer-Disney207.jpg

Liam busting some moves with Leo.

Breakfast done and we had a little time to kill before our FP return so we headed into One Man's Dream. Just fascinating to watch Walt's story. Then into TSM. We all just love this attraction, it's so much fun! Just wish we could pull it off more than once each trip. We have the Wii game but it's just not the same although the kids have been playing it more now since we've been home. The kids were already tired at this point, Brielle was getting close to meltdown time so us Markelons left the park. The kiddo-free party stayed to do Star Tours, the Stunt Show and RRC. Must be nice...ah well, our time will come.

I'll leave off here for now, up next is Anniversary Date night at California Grill...FABULOUS!!!!

fractal

I'm happy to hear everybody was safe and sound!

I love One Man's Dream as well, unfortunately, we didn't get to see it this time. :(

Looking forward to your review of California Grill!

bmarkelon

Original Poster
Happy Anniversary to us!

With my sister, her boyfriend, my brother and my dad there with us there was no way that we weren't going to take advantage and finally have a Disney dinner date. And of course we chose California Grill; the only other choice we tossed around was Narcoossee's but went with Cali since we were at BLT. Our ADR was early, 5:30, had to give my sister and her bf time for a dinner out after us. We got up to the lounge after checking in and I got compliments on my Disney pack and the DH got compliments on his Mickey crocs from a couple of older ladies sitting close by sipping wine together.

~~Let me take a quick break to talk about my Disney pack. My whole family was making fun of me about it all trip, especially my sister. The first or second day of our trip the DH goes, "Beth you should just get a pack, it would be so much easier for you" I laughed it off, "as if!" But gave it some thought and kind of could see the convenience of it on our trips. So, while we were at the Poly, think it was right after our Kona breakfast I went over the gift shop, bought the kiddos light up Mickey and Minnie toothbrushes and myself the Disney 2011 pack. And let me tell you I rocked that thing the rest of the trip proudly. Lucas, looks at me with it and goes..."I can't believe you actually bought one!" Very funny sweetie. I will be packing this pack for every trip to come! :cool: ~~

I digress....so we were only sitting in the lounge for a minute and Lucas wanted to check in with the hosts to make sure we got a window seat, we forgot to mention it downstairs. They told him there that our table was ready and what a table it was! I know that there are so many great spots to sit here with fabulous views but I am pretty sure we got the best one.

Summer-Disney211.jpg

Not a clear sky by any means.

Summer-Disney212.jpg

This storm was just off to the left of MK when we were first seated. Pretty cool to watch it come screaming in and it turned out to be the most severe and intense storm of our trip.

Our server, Walter, (BEST SERVER EVER!!!!!) came over to introduce himself and discuss the menu a little. I ordered a French Martini, so yummy and refreshing...perfect start to the meal. I am kind of surprised I didn't take more pictures here without Bree distracting me. I think we were really just soaking in the moment, kid-free at one of the best dining experience Disney has to offer. Ah, it doesn't get much better than this. Granted there was a family sitting at the table next to us with 2 little ones and 2 Mickey balloons (ugh, really? Walter told us very discreetly that they should not have been allowed in, the balloons that is) we didn't care, they weren't our kids! I switched my seat, because of the balloons but ended up in the reason I think we had the table there. I was sitting in one of the outside corners of the restaurant. When I looked out to my left Magic Kingdom, and out to my right the whole restaurant and great views into the open kitchen and sushi bar. Beautiful. I already had my mind made up for my first course and entree. I just had to have this Spicy Kazan roll that I had heard so much about. How could you go wrong? Crab, Shrimp, Bay Scallops and Fireball Sauce?! YES. PLEASE! Let me tell you and I am not trying to be dramatic but this was life-changing sushi for me, meaning that no sushi will ever match up to this roll again. Phenomenol! Kudos to Yoshi, you are a sushi master! Sry, I can't believe I didn't at least take a picture of this!! Uggh. Next time, because yes there will be a next time.

Now for my entree which I can honestly and confidently say is the best entree I have ever had not only in Disney but anywhere ever. I had tasted this before, our last trip and have been dreaming and drueling over it ever since. Here was my moment to enjoy the whole thing myself. The Grilled Pork Tenderloin with Goat Cheese Polenta, Button Mushrooms and Zinfindel Glaze.

Summer-Disney213.jpg

The DH had ordered one of the flatbreads for his first course and then the Oak Fired Filet of Beef for his entree. Both were great but sorry, I won here on this meal. "Winning!"

Walter helped us decide on dessert I went with the Apple Berry Cobbler and then the DH had to have his Valrhona Chocolate Cake, molten lava cake. They were both fabulous, definitely the best desserts we had had so far this trip. My mouth is watering writing this part of our TR.

Summer-Disney214.jpg

Here is a shot of that storm that quickly moved over Magic Kingdom during our meal.

~This meal is absolutely one of the highlights of this trip so I need to stop here, it's really making me miss WDW. I've gotta hit the eliptical while Brielle is napping. Alexa had her first day of the first grade yesterday a week late thanks to Irene, and absolutely loved it. She told me she didn't want to leave school yesterday!! Can't believe how big my sweet girl is getting.~

Be back soon for more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom