Ouch! New Universal Commerical Takes shot at Disney

mickey04

Original Poster
Anyone seen the new Universal Orlando commercial? Now, first let me start by saying that I have to give them credit for coming uo with some creative commericials, and for the most part, this one has that same sort of humor that advertises their "A Vacation from the Ordinary" with diferent people telling what they want to do on their vacation. (For examle, we see a man who says "I want" and then realize he's on the Hulk, and he finishes "want my mommy" or a woman in Emeril's restaurant who says "I want to try some of Emeril's barbequed chicken" and then reaches over to the next table and takes a piece-- from Emeril.) Shrek and Donkey are also featured to advertise the new ride. Sorry, I'm getting off topic.

So, the commerical ends with (in what seems to be a later added side note- and I'm paraphrasing) "Fairy tales and pixie dust not your thing, visit Universal online at universalorlando.com" Now this just isn't necessary. I t was a great commercial up until that moment. Why can't they just advertise their own product and leave Disney alone- that's really low. I don't know, maybe I'm taking this too seriously but I think its disgraceful and I hope Disney never stoops to that level.

CTXRover

I too feel that the commercial is not appropriate. If they feel their product is superior then they should advertise what they have to offer. For me, this indicates they feel they are inferior (at what level, I don't know and whether they really are or not isn't what I'm trying to say) and have to take "cheap shots".

Not to get political, but this is exactly like the kind of "negative campaigning" that politicians do which just really turns me off. Don't tell me your competition is "not as good" or "put them down", show me why you think you are better! Otherwise, I will just assume you can't offer me anything better.

I hope that makes sense. :)

(By the way, I don't think Disney would do this kind of thing. They are much more "mature" than that. Hopefully, it will stay that way.)

ISTCrew20

They play that all the time here in Orlando. Disney has also been advertising alot, almost every commercial break. They have been advertising Tow4r during american idol and other primetime shows. They have been advertising those histerical (?) play 4 days and AP commercials, as well as doing alot of contests down here..Take that Universal..oh and speaking of disney stabs from universal, next time you ride Dudley, it may feel like a pirates life for you

MicBat

Originally posted by room1313@TTZTOT
oh and speaking of disney stabs from universal, next time you ride Dudley, it may feel like a pirates life for you

:lol: Good one!!

Although there slogan is somewhat low, it's true. Universal doesn't offer the magical feel that disney does and some people aren't into the whole fairy tale feel of WDW.

Katherine

I don't like the way they phrased that. It sounds like "since we don't have anything better we have to bash disney"

imagineer boy

This is just extremely unnessesary for Universal. I getting tired of it. These commercials where Universal attacks Disney like that makes me mad!:fork: Disney tries to be nice and be a good sport with them, but Universal is just being selfish. Why don't they just leave Disney alone, and continue to work on their own theme parks?

conntom

Hey guys Universal knows it will never ever be Disney World no
matter what. When I think of Orlando I think of Disney World
not Universal that kill them. Disney forever.:)

imagineer boy

Originally posted by imagineer boy
This is just extremely unnessesary for Universal. I getting tired of it. These commercials where Universal attacks Disney like that makes me mad!:fork: Disney tries to be nice and be a good sport with them, but Universal is just being selfish. Why don't they just leave Disney alone, and continue to work on their own theme parks?

By the way, I'm sorry if I sound like I'm attacking Universal, but if any theme park does it, I just get mad.

Fievel

RunDisney Addict
I always figure that if you have to resort to those types of tactics in your advertising, you obviously don't have enough faith in your own product to succeed without some help.

AndyMagic

I can see how the commercial might appear like a low blow but I consider it just an honest statement. It says nothing negative about Disney but rather says that their parks are more teen oriented. Pixie Dust IS my thing so I will continue going to Disney. By the way.... If you want to see what a REAL Disney basher is, watch Shrek. It has more jokes about Disney than any film in history. Great movie though. :)

ISTCrew20

What other Disney bashes are in Shrek..It's not really a bash, but the rock shrek and donkey walk by looks alot like pride rock...what are some other ones?

AndyMagic

Originally posted by room1313@TTZTOT
What other Disney bashes are in Shrek..It's not really a bash, but the rock shrek and donkey walk by looks alot like pride rock...what are some other ones?
All of Lord Farquaad's Kingdom is a spoof on Disneyland. When Princess Fiona is singing to the bird.... that is a pretty big spoof of Snow White. There are many others.

cindy_k

Originally posted by AndyMagic
All of Lord Farquaad's Kingdom is a spoof on Disneyland. When Princess Fiona is singing to the bird.... that is a pretty big spoof of Snow White. There are many others.

Good Point. The Loves First kiss thing is also from Snow White as well as the talking mirror.
I watched Snow White this afternoon. :D

jaimjaim25

ok, well they're just trying to make money... anyway, most people that go to disney world, make a one or 2 day trip to universal anyway.. well, I DON"T!! :)

I think they should be playing more DW commercials... the only one i've been seeing on TV is the one with the firefly. They have 3 others on the disneyworld website, and they're not being playing over in my area! They are so touching! :animwink:

Michael72688

First of all I want to say I love Disney but hey its compitition. And actually they make no reference to Disney it self so really they're not doing anything wrong, and I really like there commericals, I think they're catchy (more than Disneys)

swhite

I was also agravated by Universals low blow about fairy tales and pixie dust they are my thing and I am proud of it long live the magic:sohappy: :sohappy: :sohappy:

Folks keep talking about this Tower of Terror 4 commercial. I have never seen it, and believe me when I tell you I watch enough television to have the chance to gander at it. I sure would love to see it though!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom