O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

Again, the shelf doesn't thank me for buying cheetos, nor does the credit card suggest I visit Smokey Bones today due to a sale. But that kind of Minority Report advertising will be easy with Disney RFID.

Your grocery store (if its anything like mine) prints coupons for you based on your purchase history from the membership card. Do you consider that Minority Report advertising? I do hope there is an "opt out" of the system, but at the same time, I just don't see it as that big a deal. I don't see the evil in Amazon.com guessing what I might like to buy, nor Disney guessing that "Visitor ID AF160977GHT" might like a Fast Pass to Space Mountain.

I wonder if the RFID aspect were removed if there'd be more acceptance. If it were a more familiar technology, like say magnetic swipe cards, I think there would be far less debate even though there would be no change in the data collected (if what Raven's saying is true).

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Your grocery store (if its anything like mine) prints coupons for you based on your purchase history from the membership card. Do you consider that Minority Report advertising? I do hope there is an "opt out" of the system, but at the same time, I just don't see it as that big a deal. I don't see the evil in Amazon.com guessing what I might like to buy.

I wonder if the RFID aspect were removed if there'd be more acceptance. If it were a more familiar technology, like say magnetic swipe cards, I think there would be far less debate even though there would be no change in the data collected (if what Raven's saying is true).

Actually, as far as the grocery stores and coupon machines...I worked for a company that makes them...I don't know if it's changed but back about a decade ago, it was purely based on the purchase made, not by any membership card (example, if you buy coke, you might get a coupon for another coke OR a competitor's coupon, like pepsi)

KevinYee

Your grocery store (if its anything like mine) prints coupons for you based on your purchase history from the membership card. Do you consider that Minority Report advertising?

Not in that form, I don't. To be like Minority Report, it would say "Kevin Yee, this is your second six pack of beer in a week... wouldn't you like this healthy celery to munch on too?"

To be like Orwell, that grocery scanner would also send a report to my doctor (check his blood pressure next visit!) and to the insurance company (raise his premiums!)

Nothing like that happens now. Nothing like that will happen with Disney RFID. But teeny-tiny, incremental steps toward a future like that is how society will eventually get there. It's the boiling frog metaphor.

My Citibank card sends me a yearly statement breaking down what I spend by sector: this much on groceries, this much on restaurants, this much on travel, etc. On the one hand, it's useful. On the other hand, it's a little frightening that I no longer question this - I just accept it as part of living in the modern world. Yet this level of invasion would have frightened the pants off most of the generations before us in this country.

Again, I'm mostly raising questions. Dan Rather once said “The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” Well, we are all press now - socalled "citizen press." And I'm just barking... not certain it'll turn out to be a false alarm or not. For some things, it's better safe than sorry. I'd rather err on the side of over-examining than under-examining something!

uklad79

I had a meeting with a company last week and they mentioned they had a meeting with Disney in California recently about supplying Disney with wristband printers with embedded RFID tags for the waterparks. He just mentioned it in passing as I am looking at the same printers and he didn't know I was a Disney nerd that was going to post it online.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
Perhaps I feel I am really not that much of an interset to "the man" or his corporate tentacles, beyond trying to upsell me a bit more tat that I dont need, using a system that is generally dumb and has to have someone creating associations to begin with, there by them needing to know what interests me or having to make some assumptions, no doubt the same play list run by marketing companies everywhere, if it has any chance of success.

Its all about the money, beyond that your just not that important.

EPCOT Explorer

Your grocery store (if its anything like mine) prints coupons for you based on your purchase history from the membership card. Do you consider that Minority Report advertising? I do hope there is an "opt out" of the system, but at the same time, I just don't see it as that big a deal. I don't see the evil in Amazon.com guessing what I might like to buy, nor Disney guessing that "Visitor ID AF160977GHT" might like a Fast Pass to Space Mountain.

Another good point. This all might be anonymous. Or sent my signal. (for thematic effects)

Not in that form, I don't. To be like Minority Report, it would say "Kevin Yee, this is your second six pack of beer in a week... wouldn't you like this healthy celery to munch on too?"

To be like Orwell, that grocery scanner would also send a report to my doctor (check his blood pressure next visit!) and to the insurance company (raise his premiums!)

Nothing like that happens now. Nothing like that will happen with Disney RFID. But teeny-tiny, incremental steps toward a future like that is how society will eventually get there. It's the boiling frog metaphor.

My Citibank card sends me a yearly statement breaking down what I spend by sector: this much on groceries, this much on restaurants, this much on travel, etc. On the one hand, it's useful. On the other hand, it's a little frightening that I no longer question this - I just accept it as part of living in the modern world. Yet this level of invasion would have frightened the pants off most of the generations before us in this country.

Again, I'm mostly raising questions. Dan Rather once said “The press [should be] a watchdog. Not an attack dog. Not a lapdog. A watchdog. Now, a watchdog can't be right all the time. He doesn't bark only when he sees or smells something that's dangerous. A good watchdog barks at things that are suspicious.” Well, we are all press now - socalled "citizen press." And I'm just barking... not certain it'll turn out to be a false alarm or not. For some things, it's better safe than sorry. I'd rather err on the side of over-examining than under-examining something!

I honestly doubt that. We are smarter than that. We will regulate that.

After all this controversy, I really think that we won't take it that far.

I'm not being naive, I'm just thinking. We have controversy over technology in use now. That'll be a HUGE firestorm when it's considered.

Tiggerish

Resident Redhead
Premium Member
Indeed the "personalized interaction" may be unique to Disney for now. But next time you get a passport for foreign travel it'll have an RFID chip. Chances are next time you get a Driver's license it will as well. Almost every credit card or debit card that doesn't currently have one will when it's next replaced. The fact is the technology is already being used to track you and your spending. Almost every access card, ID card, pass, ticket or whatever else you may carry around with you likely has or will soon have RFID technology contained therein.

Here in New York State, having an RFID chip in your driver's license is currently an option that you can choose to add. I saw a poster in the DMV when I renewed my license last July. It's being promoted as a way to return to using your driver's license to travel between US, Canada, and Mexico and some of the Caribbean, instead of having to have a passport, and mostly to ease congestion at the Canadian border, where RFID is already in use, based on your posts.

I expect that will eventually change so that the addition is automatic unless you opt out of it. :shrug:

jt04

Perhaps I feel I am really not that much of an interset to "the man" or his corporate tentacles, beyond trying to upsell me a bit more tat that I dont need, using a system that is generally dumb and has to have someone creating associations to begin with, there by them needing to know what interests me or having to make some assumptions, no doubt the same play list run by marketing companies everywhere, if it has any chance of success.

Its all about the money, beyond that your just not that important.

"you are just not that important"

...and therin lies the danger of technology and information controlled by a few. If we are going down this road then everyone's information should be available to everyone. Especially the "elites". Hi elitists. :wave:

EPCOT Explorer

"you are just not that important"

...and therin lies the danger of technology and information controlled by a few. If we are going down this road then everyone's information should be available to everyone. Especially the "elites". Hi elitists. :wave:

In Disney, it is all about money. Elite or not. And again, that isn't Disney's issue. That's in the regulation.

jt04

In Disney, it is all about money. Elite or not. And again, that isn't Disney's issue. That's in the regulation.

Do you think they will be willing to sell your data since it's all about the money? Potentially even to an insurance or employment "clearing houses". I'm not singling out Disney except for their apparent willingness to enable and perfect the technology. Which I assume they will also make available to others since it's all about the money. Maybe even to such fun loving governments as communist China or Iran. :eek:

Cause it's all about the money.

We need those regulations before the tech is developed not after.

EPCOT Explorer

Do you think they will be willing to sell your data since it's all about the money? Potentially even to an insurance or employment "clearing houses". I'm not singling out Disney except for their apparent willingness to enable and perfect the technology. Which I assume they will also make available to others since it's all about the money. Maybe even to such fun loving governments as communist China or Iran. :eek:

Cause it's all about the money.

We need those regulations before the tech is developed not after.

REGULATION. SAFEGUARDS.:brick:

And besides, this, again, is NOT valid on this discussion. Disney implications only..It's a Disney board after all.

jt04

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
That is my point. Disney is developing the technology before any regulations or safeguards have been developed. Disney can then sell it to anyone Disney sees fit. Disney, Disney, Disney.

http://miceage.micechat.com/kevinyee/ky012610a.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mass_surveillance

I'm just curious, what ability does Disney, Disney, Disney have to force someone to use (or be used by) it's new and horrible technology (that no one quite knows what it is, not even Kevin Yee)? Like it or not, they are no different than a TV show you don't like- simply change the channel or refuse to be a participant.

EPCOT Explorer

I'm just curious, what ability does Disney, Disney, Disney have to force someone to use (or be used by) it's new and horrible technology (that no one quite knows what it is, not even Kevin Yee)? Like it or not, they are no different than a TV show you don't like- simply change the channel or refuse to be a participant.

Stop. Now. Logic is like krytonite to jt.

jt04

I think you will soon see people be able to opt out of commercial data collection similar to how people can sign up for "no call" lists from telemarketers. So Disney will be able to collect data but not attach it to any personal data such as a credit card or phone number.

By the way, stockholders have a right to their opinions of how their company is run.

Gotta go! :wave:

wm49rs

A naughty bit o' crumpet
Premium Member
Stop. Now. Logic is like krytonite to jt.

I'm sorry, forgot the target audience there for a second....:brick:

But, like my faux pas with Iger/Rasulo earlier, I think I'm just beat. Too much Turabian, UN Peacekeeping simulations, and discussions of the Battle of Kursk. Probably TMI for this board, but I ramble as I drift into exhaustion. Goodnight all, and good luck..... :wave:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom