O'Sentinel - NextGen - 1/17/10

EPCOT Explorer

Any technology can be used for good and bad. Should we squash new technology because of the potential for application misuse?
So much for EPCOT! :lol:
Sometimes. For instance science and technology gave us some terrible weapons during the cold war. It was agreed the human race was better off without them and agreements were made to destroy them.

Like I said, having RFID at WDW is not the concern. It's what happens with it if Disney develops it and exports it that concerns me. Simple as that.
The honestly, most of these posts are better suited in the Chit Chat section. I am concerned about DISNEY and RFID. That is all.

Agreed and agreed.

But... isn't this exactly what Disney's "NextGen" is going to do? Personalize so that it's almost unnerving?
I would think and hope that they (WDI) would be smarter in it's application.

Gracy_hm

Nextgen

So I think this ties in to the small Rock n rollercoaster test and will involve you simply checking into a theme park area and be called when you are supposed to come back the interaction of the cell phone with the chip will allow a wait free trip to Disney theme parks

raven

So I think this ties in to the small Rock n rollercoaster test and will involve you simply checking into a theme park area and be called when you are supposed to come back the interaction of the cell phone with the chip will allow a wait free trip to Disney theme parks

Nothing is "wait free" and that isn't the intention of the program. It's designed to enhance the guest experience while you are here. Be that in personalizing different aspects of your trip or making something easier to do. It's all being planned out very carefully and they are paying attention to every detail.

KevinYee

The NextGen queue is one of the features I'm most excited about. It keeps some of the benefits of FastPass (no standing around in a line, twiddling thumbs) but prevents some of the abuses (no sense in crisscrossing the park, no sending runners, no advantages for "knowing the system"). I'm hard-pressed to find a reason to be gloomy on this count, at least.

raven

The NextGen queue is one of the features I'm most excited about. It keeps some of the benefits of FastPass (no standing around in a line, twiddling thumbs) but prevents some of the abuses (no sense in crisscrossing the park, no sending runners, no advantages for "knowing the system"). I'm hard-pressed to find a reason to be gloomy on this count, at least.

Ah yes. The man that stands at the Soarin' FP with 20 tickets getting FPs then pushes his way though the line to catch up with his group. :fork:

jt04

Would this be a good time to ask if park employees will be "chipped"? :lookaroun

I agree though that fastpass is a failure in that people who know the system end up locking out or disadvantaging the casual guest. And that has probably done more harm than good for getting repeat visits. I like the concept, hate the price tag. Even if it contains an RFID. I can think of a lot better ways Disney could spend 1.5 billion dollars that would also serve to remedy queue waits. Simply build enough attractions.

I wonder it jt and Kevin use credit cards?

Or if they do not want how much they're spending and where they are located tracked? :shrug:

And yes, Kevin, if you use a super market's membership card, they're tracking you. Have been for years.

jt04

I wonder it jt and Kevin use credit cards?

Or if they do not want how much they're spending and where they are located tracked? :shrug:

And yes, Kevin, if you use a super market's membership card, they're tracking you. Have been for years.

Perhaps you could post your credit card receipts, cell phone records and all of your travel iteneraries here at WDWMagic. Or perhaps you don't want to be "tracked"?:shrug:

I mean at least Kevin tells everyone who he is. Is your real name Giraffe Lounge? :lol::wave:

KevinYee

I'm aware of tracking on the credit card and supermarket level. My point in raising the question here is that "personalization" is being promised now, rather than passive tracking.

Again, the shelf doesn't thank me for buying cheetos, nor does the credit card suggest I visit Smokey Bones today due to a sale. But that kind of Minority Report advertising will be easy with Disney RFID.

EPCOT Explorer

Ah yes. The man that stands at the Soarin' FP with 20 tickets getting FPs then pushes his way though the line to catch up with his group. :fork:
HATE him. :fork: :lol:

Possibly. The new commercials show a new phone ap that allows you to locate your favorite characters anywhere in the parks.

I think they do that just because they know and assign where the characters will be, not through chips.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Perhaps you could post your credit card receipts, cell phone records and all of your travel iteneraries here at WDWMagic. Or perhaps you don't want to be "tracked"?:shrug:

I mean at least Kevin tells everyone who he is. Is your real name Giraffe Lounge? :lol::wave:

Is your real name jt04 ? :rolleyes:

Monty

Brilliant...and Canadian
In the Parks
No
I'm aware of tracking on the credit card and supermarket level. My point in raising the question here is that "personalization" is being promised now, rather than passive tracking.

Again, the shelf doesn't thank me for buying cheetos, nor does the credit card suggest I visit Smokey Bones today due to a sale. But that kind of Minority Report advertising will be easy with Disney RFID.
I doubt that. As has been stated, these will be proximity RFID, you have to put the chip in the vicinity of a reader...

wdwfan94

Actually, I would rather wait in a queue(some of which are so well made that they can be almost as good as the attraction itself) for a while, than have to schedule almost every part of my day and trip.

bellhop13

this all sounds like too much for the average guest to figure out. a lot of people still don't grasp the whole fastpass concept. and how bout those large tour groups from brazil god bless 'em!

Testtrack321

I'm waiting to make any huge technological jumps of logic or assumptions on its use. Most of that billion could be spent on back end overhauls of the communication systems of WDW, adding more data networks and speed. Or it could be more on stage, with RFID scanning at rides, FP kiosks, turnstiles, on PhotoPass CM's, Lemonade Stand 5, and the 3rd soap dispenser from the right in the bathroom between Adventurland/Frontierland.

Though I'm quite happy that Kevin Yee does read these boards and is making this a quality discussion instead of what this could have been.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom