Osborne Lights Officially Returning for 2015 for 20th and Final Season

surfsupdon

Even though I was not there Sunday night, I enjoyed reading the few stories here from those that were. And even though I will not be able to attend over the course of the final 3 nights, I will enjoy reading the stories here and looking at the pictures. Please continue them.

These Lights were a tradition for our family as well, and the last time I saw them was in November for the Wine&Dine. I always say running thru them was incredible. I was at HS two additional nights, and I walked around, sat, relaxed, and enjoyed the lights until they were turned off. On my last night, b/c I knew it was the last time ever, I got choked up as I thought of all the great memories. But then I smiled for all the Christmas Disney joy it gave me for so many years.

prfctlyximprct

Actually, it's not. The 12th Day of Christmas is January 5. The show is ending on Epiphany, January 6 (the commemoration of the Wise Men visiting Jesus.). Probably a coincidence but seems appropriate.

Was already informed. Christmas means nothing to a non believer! But thanks for the insight!

prberk

Love and I headed out and braved the miserable weather yesterday to catch the last night of the lights. We were already on I-4 and driving when the announcement of extension came through so honestly, I didn't see it until I got back home.

Yes, it was cold. Yes, it rained all night to varying degrees. But in a weird way, it made it more fun. Those of us there, taking in the "last" of the lights were real and true fans. It wasn't crowded and we all were laughing at the absurdity of the weather and everyone was helping everyone else take slightly soggy final group photos. There was a really good vibe and I'm really glad we braved the weather and went out anyway.

1560588_10153880995398514_8784746085393161697_n.jpg

I admit I teared up a little as we left the Streets of America for the final time. The lights have been a real tradition for me and something I looked forward to them every year. They will be missed.

Did you ever go when they were on the now-defunct "Residential Street"? If so, how did they compare to the SoA version in your opinion. I remember liking the "Residential Street" version a little better. It seemed more natural.

surfsupdon

Did you ever go when they were on the now-defunct "Residential Street"? If so, how did they compare to the SoA version in your opinion. I remember liking the "Residential Street" version a little better. It seemed more natural.
Yes I did prefer the Residential Version much more. Because it was induvidual houses, with yards and trees, decorated for Christmas and you strolled down the street from house to house underneath the snowfall.

Its terrific on SoA and very effective in the big city. It is a wonderful display that will be missed.

prberk

Yes I did prefer the Residential Version much more. Because it was induvidual houses, with yards and trees, decorated for Christmas and you strolled down the street from house to house underneath the snowfall.

Its terrific on SoA and very effective in the big city. It is a wonderful display that will be missed.

Yeah, I think overall I am beginning to miss the classic "backlot Hollywood tour" essence of the original park. It really was fun to see and do for generations who might never make it to the real Hollywood. Everyone knows it was fashioned after the classic Universal Studios (Hollywood) backlot tour, but it was well-done. And I thought that the Osborne Family Lights display was more appropriate on the Residential Street. They did start, after all, with a family that was famous for decorating their house in a neighborhood.

I really enjoyed, at the time, the opportunity to walk down the "residential street" that you otherwise toured on a tram. And of course, it had the "Golden Girls" house on it. LOL.

It's too bad that they do not have the space there to make the additions (including "Star Wars" land) but still have a traditional "backlot tour." And don't get me started on whether there should still be at least television production there.

YodaMan

FYI, for those trying to go the next two nights, it seems they still don't know for sure how to pull things off. I guess the dilemma is frieworks, since pushing them back would push back the start of the paid-for dessert party. So not sure if they will be pushed back last second or if lights will go on and then off and then back on and then off again...? Basically I guess it's gonna come down to being flexible if you wanna see them turn off for the last time.

MissM

I don't think so. I remember the residential street in general but I don't think I ever went when they were lit up. I went in 1989 as a kid with my family when the park had just opened (and there was almost nothing there besides the 2 hour backlot tour!) and then I didn't go for a period of time when I was in HS so I think I missed it. I guess the thing I've always liked about the Osborne Lights is the fact that you can walk through it and of course the dancing. Because a lot of people put a lot of lights on homes or such, but few people do every inch like you find on the Streets of America - and never do they dance with so much detail and enthusiasm! :D

note2001

Never realized Disney used zip ties to attach these until I saw the pic above. Bet Disney has a master blueprint of which strands go where with notes/pics on how to attach them. Without one putting them back up every year would be a .....

jensenrick

I totally agree. SoA was nice and all, but it was really wonderful when it was on Residential Street. Helped it feel a lot less crowded, too.

note2001

Has anyone found good quality recordings (not shaky, not walking, not spinning around and zooming in) of the lights taken from each end of the 2 streets? It would be nice to have these out on youtube to look back on. Bonus points if there aren't folk yelling over the music.
4 videos total, where one focuses on the soldiers and tree.

If we could sync them to all play the same song, starting at the same time it would be the next best thing to being there.

Last edited:

DisneyOutsider

Has anyone found good quality recordings (not shaky, not walking, not spinning around and zooming in) video of the lights taken from each end of the 2 streets? It would be nice to have these out on youtube to look back on. Bonus points if there aren't folk yelling over the music.
4 videos total, where one focuses on the soldiers and tree.

If we could sync them to all play the same song, starting at the same time it would be the next best thing to being there.

Sorry I can't help you there. My footage captures a group of young women blasting rap music from their hand-held portable speakers as they danced their way through SoA. (Yes, that actually happened)

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom