Orlando's Local 6 news tests G Forces

kcnole

Original Poster
ORLANDO, Fla. -- In a first-of-its-kind investigation, Local 6 News teamed up with news partner Florida Today to evaluate G-forces riders experience on Central Florida's most popular thrill rides.

Questions about G-forces surfaced after the death of a 4-year-old on Epcot's Mission Space ride. A medical examiner recently determined that Daudi Bamuwayme died from a pre-existing heart condition.

Doctors have also been looking into whether an undetected medical problem caused 16-year-old Leanne Deacon to suffer a brain hemorrage after riding the Tower of Terror ride at Disney-MGM Studios.

Officials said G-forces produced by the thrill rides are harmless for healthy riders. However, theme parks refuse to release information about the intensity of their rides.

So, using scientific equipment that measures G-forces, Local 6 News measured the powerful sensations rider's experience.

The report found that Disney's Space Mountain is still one of the more intense rides in the area -- showing more than 3.5 Gs.

Universal's Hulk Coaster had the highest gravitational forces measured in the Orlando area.

"Surprisingly, that is about the same maximum force as Central Florida's newest thrill ride -- Universal's Revenge of the Mummy," Local 6 reporter Mike DeForest said.

"Neither one are super tall," American Coaster Enthusiasts spokesman Chris Kraftchick said. "They're paced very well. In other words, they don't sock you with a bunch of elements and then you go through a lull."

The report found Disney's Big Thunder Mountain Railroad to be the most tame steel roller coaster tested, registering at 2.5 Gs.

Disney's Rock-N-Roller Coaster was found to launch riders to near 4.5 Gs in the first six seconds.

"You can feel it, you can feel your body really being pulled back," Kraftchick said. "If you think about it, you're launching up what, 60 mph straight up into two inversions."

The report found that The Hulk roller coaster at Universal's Islands of Adventure quickly changed G-forces.

Going down a hill, riders feel weightless and then are pushed hard into their seats at 4.5 Gs.

The Hulk coaster had the highest gravitational forces measured in the Orlando area.

Dueling Dragons at Universal Studios/Orlando is billed as the first dual coaster in the world deliberately designed so its two coasters speed rapidly toward each other. Universal Studios image.

Amusement ride safety consultant Bill Avery said that based on G-forces alone, coasters that register more than 4 Gs like Universal's Dueling Dragons and Sea World's Kraken are typically harmless as long as the Gs are momentary.

"The body can withstand G's to the 'four' level," Avery said.

It is when coasters combine those high Gs with sudden directional changes that the risk of injure increases.

"If a person just takes a turn and they're still heading toward the right and then all of a sudden the roller coaster takes a quick left, they've never recovered from their initial momentum." Avery said.

Disney's Mission Space ride, which gives riders the sensation of blasting off to Mars, produced the most surprising G-force readings.

"I'm thinking, we must be pulling 8 or 10 Gs on this thing, as you're launching, your face is melting back in the seat," Kraftchick said.

Although the spinning of the centrifuge may make some people sick, the ride itself generatges just over 2 Gs, which is about the same amount as the Test Track ride located next door, DeForest said.

However, unlike roller coaster G-forces, which rapidly spike up and down, Mission Space produces long, sustained G-forces.

During launch of the Mission Space ride, DeForest experienced twice the force of gravity for 15 seconds.

"If you're expecting the greatest thrill to be on the highest G-Force ride, you may be disappointed, Avery said.

Watch Local 6 News for more on this story.

Buried20KLeague

biggbird5182 said:
Haha, eight or ten G's for 15 seconds...you'd die!

Hardly.

The human body can withstand surprisingly high G's... I don't have the actual figure, I'm sure someone here does. But it's way up there... MANY times the force you experience on any amusement ride. Fighter pilots pull crazy g's... 40+ at times if I recall correctly.

Anyway, the point is that amusement rides are extremely safe, and in most cases, extremely tame as far as threshold goes.

But too many people don't understand that, and that's where you get stupid reports like this where they waste their time measuring G's and make it out to be more than it is. As if any ride created out there in any way would be outside the acceptable levels for a healthy individual. It's not even close.

I bet this report was followed by a story on how the bird flu was going to be in your neighborhood in two hours. :lookaroun

:rolleyes:

Mr Bill

If I recall, they actually did this test a year ago, and decided to spit it back out to the public last night during their reporting of the Rock 'n Roller Coaster incident.

Buried20KLeague

Pumbas Nakasak said:
Bollox, the average pilot can take about 9gs far less if its negative G.

Upon further investigation...

Pilots experience 9g's fairly routinely. You're correct. The article I just found stated that F-16 pilots do incur more at times, but they wear special "g-force suits" that, as jedi said, keeps the blood from leaving your brain. I was surprised to hear that.

It should be said, too, that experiencing 9+ g's isn't fatal anwyay. Not to a healthy person. It just makes you pass out.

So I do stand corrected on my earlier comment. I was sure I had read that somewhere, but I must have been wrong.

Although... The guiness book of world records has the record for the person that survived the most G's at:

"on 13 July 1977 British racing driver David Purley survived a deceleration from 173 km/h to zero in a distance of about 0.66 m, enduring 180 g"

So it's quite clear that the human body can withstand a MASSIVE amount of G-forces... Although you'll apparently pass out fairly shortly after 9 G's without a G-force suit.

Spine_DR

most of the Gs you feel on rides like space mountain are lateral gs from turns pulling you to one side linear gs or te staight back or forward or in the case of fighter pilots staight down are were the body feels the most stress. 13 gs decceleration will detach your retinas. Long periods of high g loads can make it tough for your cardiovascular system.

SpenceMan01

kcnole said:
Officials said G-forces produced by the thrill rides are harmless for healthy riders. However, theme parks refuse to release information about the intensity of their rides.

So, using scientific equipment that measures G-forces, Local 6 News measured the powerful sensations rider's experience.

I love how they're trying to act like they're more responsible than the parks. If they really wanted to do some responsible reporting, they'd offer a table of all the G forces they tested, with amount, type (lateral, vertical), and duration. Simply saying that "riders experience X Gs on ride Y" isn't doing anything. The amount of force isn't enough information. I really wish the media would do it's homework.

kcnole said:
It is when coasters combine those high Gs with sudden directional changes that the risk of injure increases.

"If a person just takes a turn and they're still heading toward the right and then all of a sudden the roller coaster takes a quick left, they've never recovered from their initial momentum." Avery said.

Yes. This is why banked turns were invented. They shift the lateral G's experienced into vertical G's, which, since the rider is sitting in a seat, they are more able to handle. Yes, coaster do often transition from one direction to another... that's what makes them fun!

Really, these things are safer than crossing the street. It's just an odds game. So many riders, eventually something is going to happen to someone. It's unfortunate, but it's true.

CoffeeJedi

SpenceMan01 said:
I love how they're trying to act like they're more responsible than the parks. If they really wanted to do some responsible reporting, they'd offer a table of all the G forces they tested, with amount, type (lateral, vertical), and duration. Simply saying that "riders experience X Gs on ride Y" isn't doing anything. The amount of force isn't enough information. I really wish the media would do it's homework.
Oh don't you know? We in the public are far too stupid to understand graphs and numbers and hard data! Thank goodness the media is out there looking out for me so i don't have to form my own opinions of things! :brick:

brkgnews

3.5 Gs on space mountain? Where in the ride? I honestly can't think of anywhere in the ride that even remotely feels like that.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom