Orlando man charged with hitting a Disney security guard during fight over COVID-19 mask rule

ImperfectPixie

My issue isn’t with the idea of complimentary masks per se, and one can, I think, reasonably argue that Disney should have gone that route. But that’s really a separate discussion. What I find objectionable is the idea that it’s good customer service to give free masks to guests who are either ignorant of the rules or unwilling to follow them. Indeed, I would argue that it’s actually bad customer service, because allowing irresponsible people into the park is to the detriment of other guests.
I agree...the only way I support free masks is if one per guest is sent out prior to trip with reservation materials (since reservations are now required even for a park visit, they could be held at the same location as tickets). The last thing Disney wants is to encourage or reward bad behavior.

LittleBuford

I don’t think he was doing that. As someone who couldn’t stop Disney from giving me complimentary MagicBands (no way to successfully decline them), I can sort of see the point some people are making here.

My apologies to you and @Club Cooloholic. I just realised that I didn't follow the chain of posts correctly and missed the fact that the post being responded to was @RobWDW1971's, which was about "freeloading" in general rather than complimentary masks specifically. Needless to say, I don't agree with his view at all. It's truly magical when CMs treat guests, and I would consider it extremely ungracious for a guest to reject such a gesture.

King Racoon 77

Thank you sir. You were an inspiration.
Premium Member
Again, that’s a separate discussion. I’m basing my views on the status quo.
What have these chaps got to do with mask wearing ?
Status-Quo-02-web-optimised-1000.jpg

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Freeloading at Disney??? OK you be the judge:

Animal Kingdom.......Daughter plays at Boneyard and shoe breaks. I take both of her shoes off so she can walk properly. I quickly learn all in Boneyard must wear shoes when CM politely informs me. I lift her to get her off of the surface and we're taking out(we were pretty much done anyway so no loss whatsoever) when CM felt sorry for her and perhaps --just guessing with that-- somewhat embarrassed to enforce the policy and tells us hold on a second and she pulls out a small form and tells us Mickey is giving her shoes. I was shocked and delighted and offered the best thank you. Our family was beyond appreciative for the gesture. Yes, we went into a store at the hub and picked out Minnie Crocs that light up when walking. Stopped at customer service before exiting park and again thanked Disney staff for doing something so far and above expectation. We left AK super happy.

Magic Kingdom......I was holding daughter and she had Disney ears when I finally made my way to the Main Street Starbucks counter after a full queue. I had card payment in hand ready to go and CM said something like "she is just too cute and she made my day.....it's free." Since it was the cheapest drink order(straight brewed coffee)and super fast to process as opposed to some crazy elaborate frap I'm guessing that was another reason it was free. I thanked her big time!

Studios...........it went down pretty similar and I received a free Venti coffee at the Trolley on Hollywood Blvd.

Epcot.......trying to meet up with Wife who is approaching from Japan and I'm on the lookout while simultaneously listening to Sugar Ray at American Pavilion. Daughter and I coincidentally are waiting near a souvenir stand. Daughter without me knowing was transfixed on a Mickey stuffed toy. Wife arrives and CM tells us how Daughter was staring at the EPCOT World Showcase orange/reddish dressed Mickey dolls and picks one out of the batch and hands it to her. I'm thinking that's sweet....and then a moment later Wife tries to give it back because we were ready to move closer to the music. And CM said "I'm giving that to her....she can have it". What beautifully unexpected treat and we thanked her and thanked her again and took her name to inform customer service.

I really didn't see that as freeloading. It's not as if I willfully and strategically raided the mouse's refrigerator and helped myself to a salami sandwich.

Each gift I was fully appreciative and we felt blessed by the kind gestures.
Moral of the story: always visit with a cute little girl to get free stuff!

eliza61nyc

I don't think he's suggesting that Disney should be made responsible or remove responsibility from the guest at all. Besides, a person needs more than one mask to make it through the day in 90+ degree heat because once they're sweaty, not only do they stink, but they become ineffective. Disney giving 1 free mask per guest would eliminate a lot of hassle and drive home the point that they aren't messing around when it comes to masks.
Hey IP, I guess for me is because that seems to be the standard answer around here.
"Disney should give XYZ" for free. or some version of that. I call that the insurance company response. You know when juries award ridiculously huge awards because its the "insurance" company and they have billions of dollars.
People expect Disney to give every thing free in the name of "great customer service". Nothing at Disney is free, Disney is going to recoup their money one way or another.

Now first, guest are not going to ask for 1 mask, if it's free, that's all it will take for them to want a handful. So basically we haven't eliminated a hassle we've pretty much just swapped out one type for another.

last, when did we get to the point that the company is responsible for everyone's happiness. seems like we (guest) want to do absolutely nothing. the mask requirement is no longer unique. Whatever happen to adults being responsible for their own children??

Chi84

Premium Member
Hey IP, I guess for me is because that seems to be the standard answer around here.
"Disney should give XYZ" for free. or some version of that. I call that the insurance company response. You know when juries award ridiculously huge awards because its the "insurance" company and they have billions of dollars.
People expect Disney to give every thing free in the name of "great customer service". Nothing at Disney is free, Disney is going to recoup their money one way or another.

Now first, guest are not going to ask for 1 mask, if it's free, that's all it will take for them to want a handful. So basically we haven't eliminated a hassle we've pretty much just swapped out one type for another.

last, when did we get to the point that the company is responsible for everyone's happiness. seems like we (guest) want to do absolutely nothing. the mask requirement is no longer unique. Whatever happen to adults being responsible for their own children??
Disney giving out a free mask during a pandemic is in some vague way related to adults not being responsible for their own children? For the sake of future generations, I hope they keep charging!

Sorry, but for a site centered around the most magical place on earth, people here have a pretty dismal view of others. I'm pretty sure no one expects Disney to give everything free in the name of great customer service. If they do, they've never been to Disney.

I haven't read through all the threads, but I don't think we have reached the point where "the company is responsible for everyone's happiness." If people actually believe that, they must be continually disappointed and saddened by Disney's failure. I guess that would explain the bitterness over someone getting something as small as a disposable mask - or in some cases a free treat from a CM.

Club Cooloholic

Disney giving out a free mask during a pandemic is in some vague way related to adults not being responsible for their own children? For the sake of future generations, I hope they keep charging!

Sorry, but for a site centered around the most magical place on earth, people here have a pretty dismal view of others. I'm pretty sure no one expects Disney to give everything free in the name of great customer service. If they do, they've never been to Disney.

I haven't read through all the threads, but I don't think we have reached the point where "the company is responsible for everyone's happiness." If people actually believe that, they must be continually disappointed and saddened by Disney's failure. I guess that would explain the bitterness over someone getting something as small as a disposable mask - or in some cases a free treat from a CM.
Amen. And while Disney isn't responsible for everyone's happiness, they certainly, as an entertainment company prefer customers are happy while attending their offered entertainment.

GimpYancIent

Amen. And while Disney isn't responsible for everyone's happiness, they certainly, as an entertainment company prefer customers are happy while attending their offered entertainment.
Interesting how my favorite Walt Disney quote encapsulates it all "Well of course, happiness is a state of mind. You can be happy or you can be unhappy. It's just according to the way you look at things." Mr. Disney was on point.

ImperfectPixie

Please read all my comments before jumping to conclusions.

Last edited:

_caleb

I love this game - let’s all impersonate horrible WDW guests!

Let’s see, we got the miserable cheapskates who go to restaurants to get free water, the morbidly obese scooter users, the Deluxe pool use stealers, and disgusting refillable mug users.

Should we add size 22 women wearing size 10 princess t-shirts eating a three pound turkey leg in 100 degree humidity? Rude Brazilian tour groups screaming in your ear? Cheerleader groups clapping with their hideous mothers with their “wash and wear” hairdos?

Ooh, ooh!!! Can I play sanctimonious mother of “special needs” kid who brings their kid to the worst place on the planet for a kid who can’t handle crowds or waiting in line and then lectures us about why we need to put up with their kid’s tantrums?!?!

This is now my favorite thread of all time.
It’s not funny when you do it. Just sounds mean.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom