Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Lilofan

Few years? In Hillsborough county it is a monthly experience. 5am airport run seeing the overhead signs warning of a wrong way towards you is some strong coffee
Didn't know it was that bad over there. Several years back, on the 417 toll road a few exits from the Lake Nona area , there was a drunk male driving the wrong way one early morning and smashed head on with another car killing himself and also the ER doctor driving home. The ER doctor had just finished working his hospital shift.

Last edited:

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
You should see the chatter on the more Disneyland-focused boards. A bunch of snobby Californians who've never even BEEN to Florida giving their 80 cents on it. :facepalm: My favorites are the ones who make Orlando out to be 19th century Deep South all because of state-level politics.
I mean, the state leadership hasn't done much to make most of the country think otherwise. Hell, I live in Florida, and my wife - who is a latina that speaks English with an accent - and I are uncomfortable venturing north of Seminole County.

It's nice to know they're already back on their feet after being fired from Jungle Cruise. 😏
Different level of roles. I doubt many of the laid off Jungle Cruise CMs have law degrees or bar admissions.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
The part you keep missing is... NET doesn't nullify the reality of people leaving. Sure other people are going... but people who have been there for awhile, and choosing to leave to move AWAY from california (vs towards something) is real. Net numbers don't nullify that.
There isn’t an exodus Crisis in California…or New York…as the clickbait would suggest.
There is a move from urban to rural due to Covid…which happens when big shakeups take place. But people settle out and end up concentrating where the greatest chance at money is…and that is not Texas and Florida.
We'll see how long that lasts for Wegmans now that they're expanding into the south. Publix was much better before they massively expanded too.

There's a store called the Fresh Market that used to be incredible -- everything there was of the highest possible quality. Now that it's become a pretty large chain, it's not even remotely close to what it once was (it was created/headquartered in my home city).
Wegmans is the best grocer in the country and it’s not close. Well run from the top down since day 1
Its so bad, it is only the third most populated state. Everyone hates it so much they have to move here to believe the no income tax.
It is what it is…which is not “up and coming” and somehow “figuring out a new way”. Florida benefits from the things that feed it and have weaknesses where it always has. It’s not like living by the pool at the Polynesian.
The farther south you go in Florida, the less southern it is.
And that kinda is the point. Feed by the wealth of the urban centers and industrial belt. It’s only been this way for 70 years.
I never understood the praise of Publix... has always seemed like one step above Food Lion in my experience. I always figured it was just local brand familiarity.
Highly overrated. It’s “decent”…which is apparently awesome when Walmart is the primary grocer.

ctrlaltdel

There isn’t an exodus Crisis in California…or New York…as the clickbait would suggest.
There is a move from urban to rural due to Covid…which happens when big shakeups take place. But people settle out and end up concentrating where the greatest chance at money is…and that is not Texas and Florida.
Only thing I'll add is that the majority of the migration of the moves are urban to suburban or exurban, not truly rural areas. The biggest gains in housing prices due to the pandemic have been in middle to outer suburbs with the biggest drops being urban cores.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Only thing I'll add is that the majority of the migration of the moves are urban to suburban or exurban, not truly rural areas. The biggest gains in housing prices due to the pandemic have been in middle to outer suburbs with the biggest drops being urban cores.
Right…that was the wrong word (rural)

its always from the city to the outer rings (new development) of the burbs…

living without a Whole Foods, Starbucks and chipotle on every corner???

…Shirley ye jest? 🤪

EeyoreFan#24

There is a move from urban to rural due to Covid…

Especially since a big tie to population centers was employment availability. Some could afford to move but were tied in. Others can’t and were tied in. Some large companies now assess positions for remote placement when hiring and if reasonable it put in the job description as a possible benefit when before that was “not how we operate”. (Forget the fact it was also “discovered” that closing office buildings saves a lot of money on utility’s and lease obligations. (Flex(shared) space is the new trend I guess for office availability and rotating onsite days for locals who shifted over to part remote)

To restate the obvious that everyone has said, business is changing. I think the people that can afford to move but we’re tied down just got a fix to the rest of their problem, unfortunately from a pandemic. The others are still tied, leading to a whole discussion not for here.

Lilofan

Right…that was the wrong word (rural)

its always from the city to the outer rings (new development) of the burbs…

living without a Whole Foods, Starbucks and chipotle on every corner???

…Shirley ye jest? 🤪
Whole Foods is located in my area in the nicer part of town surrounded by more expensive real estate.

JT3000

I mean, the state leadership hasn't done much to make most of the country think otherwise. Hell, I live in Florida, and my wife - who is a latina that speaks English with an accent - and I are uncomfortable venturing north of Seminole County.

Different level of roles. I doubt many of the laid off Jungle Cruise CMs have law degrees or bar admissions.
I could say what I think of state leadership, but I won't, because I know it'll get my post deleted. However, I'm not giving the Cali snobs any leeway for automatically assuming we're all fond of state leadership. All it would take is one glance at Orange County's voting history to figure out how ignorant their misconceptions are. Same goes for our diversity statistics, because they're convinced that would be a problem for transplants as well.

The JC reference was a joke.
Well, headhunters in Central Florida have begun to reach out to people...

DonaldDoleWhip

That’s where it and Trader Joe’s are always located…except in California
Sounds about right, and two areas of Orlando I've enjoyed driving around (Winter Park and Dr. Phillips) coincidentally have both.

Then there's Windermere (close enough to Dr. Phillips), with its cute town, beautiful lakes, and proximity to the theme parks–but those home prices? Ouch.

In terms of places to live, I don't like being more than 15 minutes away from a Whole Foods and/or Trader Joe's. That's pretty much a baseline for many Californians and New Yorkers at this stage.

Last edited:

MorphinePrince

Then there's Windermere (close enough to Dr. Phillips), with its cute town, beautiful lakes, and proximity to the theme parks–but those home prices? Ouch.
Windermere was the last part of Orlando I lived before moving last year. I do not know how put I got such a steal for rent. In total we paid about $1200 (including all utilities) for a three bedroom townhouse across the street from West Clock. I'm so grateful I was able to live in that lovely area for a few years. There is no way I could ever afford it now.

Lilofan

C'mon, the Daytona Beach and Volusia County locals don't bite, just hear them out if they discuss their concerns but don't engage.

Last edited:

DonaldDoleWhip

Windermere was the last part of Orlando I lived before moving last year. I do not know how put I got such a steal for rent. In total we paid about $1200 (including all utilities) for a three bedroom townhouse across the street from West Clock. I'm so grateful I was able to live in that lovely area for a few years. There is no way I could ever afford it now.
That sounds like a dream - I'd be very happy in Orlando if I could secure something like that. Frankly even for a 1-2 bedroom sounds great to me.

And who knows? Maybe that's doable in some cases, but from what I've seen lately, probably not.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom