Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

celluloid

They do have great subs.

They used to have great fried chicken too, but their overall quality has really been slipping the past few years -- maybe because of how much they've expanded across the southeast? The fried chicken is still really good if you manage to get it right after they've cooked a batch, but up until 2-3 years ago that was never even a concern because it was always good. Now, it's 50/50 if you'll get chicken that's actually good or if you'll get something that has the flavor (or lack thereof) and rubbery consistency of food that was cooked yesterday and reheated in a microwave.

I agree about the fried chicken. It honestly seems to depend more on the management at that individual Publix. Fun fact, some will let you substitute hot sides for the cold ones in the meal pack.

celluloid

Kids are riding bikes? What are those? Here in this backwards swamp kids still work in sugar cane fields. There is a hurricane every week. No one can afford coffee. No one can go to the beaches either because we are all paid $3 / day. Lake Okeechobee is too dangerous because of the pollution from the sugar cane fields we all work on. Our sugar cane labor salaries can’t afford farmer’s markets or Cuban markets. No such thing as Asian food here. Nope. Not at all. No museums either. What, do you think Thomas Edison and Henry Ford had labs and summer homes down here or something? Must be why so many people are moving to CA and away from FL!

Its so bad, it is only the third most populated state. Everyone hates it so much they have to move here to believe the no income tax.

UNCgolf

I agree about the fried chicken. It honestly seems to depend more on the management at that individual Publix. Fun fact, some will let you substitute hot sides for the cold ones in the meal pack.

I'm sure individual store management is a big part of it, but it just feels like there used to be more corporate oversight/mandates regarding it. I have no idea if that's true, but it's only been in the past 2-3 years that it's become an issue and it's been at multiple Publix locations instead of just one. It's really bad/disappointing when you get chicken tenders from the hot area and they've either been sitting there for several hours or were reheated leftovers from yesterday.

I also have a friend who lives in Port St. Lucie who said he's noticed a big decline in Publix overall the past few years -- that he used to be able to count on every location having spotless bathrooms while on road trips and other stuff like that and it's just no longer the case.

Stripes

control sprawl/density and keep an eye on sustainability and quality of air/water - are welcome to unchecked blight. Enjoy!
BD35FF5F-508D-430A-8E9B-4FA672A5D41E.jpeg

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Or maybe…hear me out…actors and filmmakers might be a little too busy with current production commitments to fly cross country just for a quick appearance on a stage. An hour’s drive south to Anaheim and back is far easier to coordinate than a cross country trip, even with a private jet on hand.

Again:

This is a myth. Net migration from California has been holding pretty steady over the last ten years. The state did lose a net total of 182,083 people last year, the first year of a net decline, but out of a total population of 39,466,917. That’s less than 0.05%. Also, more than 30,000 people died over the average last year.

CA cities’ populations declined in the pandemic, but recent studies show people mostly moved from urban CA centers to more suburban/rural CA counties. CA continues to attract 48% of total venture capital dollars, compared to Texas at 3% and Florida at 2%. The CA tax base remains solid.

Personally, the more people who can’t hack CA and have to go elsewhere, the better IMO. The housing market in metro areas and along the coast is crazy stupid because demand far outstrips a limited supply. Other states - because “business friendly” also means less regulations to control sprawl/density and keep an eye on sustainability and quality of air/water - are welcome to unchecked blight. Enjoy!
It’s not a myth. The population declined as we both said. There has legitimately been population shift. Again, look to the supply and demand trends in things like moving trucks.
California is a beautiful state. I’m not really knocking it. I love visiting. Monterey area is very pretty and I’m a fan of the San Diego area as well. The state has a lot to offer people. But it also has issues that people want to ignore. I’m not going to outline what they are. It’s easy to determine.
Why are other states seeing population growth while California is not? Its probably not that people can’t hack it there. It’s probably that for them the cons outweigh the pros and it makes more sense to move to another state.
California isn’t going anywhere. But I think they also ignore signs of certain problems.

DonaldDoleWhip

California is a beautiful state. I’m not really knocking it. I love visiting. Monterey area is very pretty and I’m a fan of the San Diego area as well. The state has a lot to offer people. But it also has issues that people want to ignore.
I don't think anyone means to ignore the issues California has, and there are completely valid reasons people would be moving from there to Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Florida, etc.

However, each of these states has different issues, and there are plenty of reasons why people would take what CA offers over living in Central Florida. The Reddit posts and disappointed tweets from current employees are proof.

Lilofan

Publix cold fried chicken when I'm hungry all tastes good with some potato or mac salad on the side. Only place I know that Publix staff bags your groceries and loads your groceries in your car.

WannaGoNow

It’s not a myth. The population declined as we both said. There has legitimately been population shift. Again, look to the supply and demand trends in things like moving trucks.
California is a beautiful state. I’m not really knocking it. I love visiting. Monterey area is very pretty and I’m a fan of the San Diego area as well. The state has a lot to offer people. But it also has issues that people want to ignore. I’m not going to outline what they are. It’s easy to determine.
Why are other states seeing population growth while California is not? Its probably not that people can’t hack it there. It’s probably that for them the cons outweigh the pros and it makes more sense to move to another state.
California isn’t going anywhere. But I think they also ignore signs of certain problems.

I’ll believe highly educated researchers using proven scientific methods and clearly demonstrating how they arrived at their numbers over anecdotes from U-Haul. A loss of less than 0.05% population in a state with a severe housing crisis and too much demand for current supply, plus a deadly pandemic, is far from a crisis.

Last edited:

WannaGoNow

Your point is? Those are some gorgeous beaches, and thanks for including the Angeles National Forest as well as multiple state and city parks. And our air is cleaner than its has been in decades, thanks to regulations.

My point is some of y’all are so eager for the same sprawl, but without the regulations and restrictions. Seriously, enjoy! 😘

Sir_Cliff

I don't think anyone means to ignore the issues California has, and there are completely valid reasons people would be moving from there to Arizona, Nevada, Texas, Florida, etc.

However, each of these states has different issues, and there are plenty of reasons why people would take what CA offers over living in Central Florida. The Reddit posts and disappointed tweets from current employees are proof.
The Twitter account you link to has an interesting, long message from Bruce Vaughn that suggests there is a lot of unhappiness right now about the move within WDI.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?

Oh for sure. Many love California. I get it. It’s their home and they don’t want to leave.
but I do think some people are intent on ignoring their issues. That’s my opinion of course.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I’ll believe highly educated researchers using proven scientific methods and clearly demonstrating how they arrived at their numbers over anecdotes from U-Haul. A loss of less than 0.05% population in a state with a severe housing crisis and too much demand for current supply, plus a deadly pandemic, is far from a crisis.
You’re looking at one stat, without context. Also. You seem to be taking this personally. That’s not necessary. No, the first population decline in about 2 centuries is not a crisis. But maybe it should stop and make one think. And this really started pre-pandemic so I really can’t buy blaming that. Home prices/housing crisis, yeah definitely a factor. People do flee states and states attract less because of that.

UNCgolf

I never understood the praise of Publix... has always seemed like one step above Food Lion in my experience. I always figured it was just local brand familiarity.

Oh good god no, it's 1000x better than Food Lion. It's one of the better supermarket chains in the country, although it's not quite what it once was. Wegmans is the only one I've been to that I'd say is clearly better than Publix, but as I said upthread, I'm curious to see if Wegmans can maintain that high quality as they expand and add stores. Most chains have not been able to do so.

flynnibus

Premium Member
Oh good god no, it's 1000x better than Food Lion. It's one of the better supermarket chains in the country, although it's not quite what it once was. Wegmans is the only one I've been to that I'd say is clearly better than Publix, but as I said upthread, I'm curious to see if Wegmans can maintain that high quality as they expand and add stores. Most chains have not been able to do so.

Wegmans is from up north, and their expansion into the mid-atlantic has been flawless (IMO as a consumer), so I'd guess it's more of a question of if they can scale. I've just never seen anything stand-out about publix... not that it's bad, its just not anything I'd seek them out for.

Safeway for bagels and donuts. Wegmans for breads and pretzel bites.

What makes Wegmans such a crazy thing is they crush the local competition on prices while still offering a very high end experience and variety.

We have plenty of people around us cashing in on the housing explosion right now to sell and move to cheaper places like FL. Houses are selling 20-30% higher in the last few months alone with ravage speed.. so people are like 'why not' and punching out while the going is good. The recent boost in house value alone can almost pay for the house in FL.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom