Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

WannaGoNow

For public education, Orange County residents passed a half-cent sales tax in 2002 that goes specifically to renovating or replacing schools that is in effect through 2025. Since that time, just about all of the schools in the county have had major upgrades or have been replaced (around 136 schools total). Also in 2002, Florida residents passed a class-size amendment that puts limits on the teacher-student ratio that went into full effect during the 2010-2011 school year. These two initiatives that have been ongoing for close to 20 years now have had a significant positive impact on public education in Orange County that can be seen statewide in the Nations Report Card rankings:

Sales Tax:

Class-size Amendment:

Nations Report Card:
Hmm…

Sounds like with more residents, you’re getting voters who approve of higher taxes to pay for the services the newer residents demand…

🤔

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
You forgot to mention the waaaaaay better weather. Also, the lack of mosquitoes. Moved to SoCal from Austin and don’t miss the horrible humidity or insane amount of mosquitoes that make the south awful. It was miserable to be outside six months of the year. I‘m happy to pay the extra taxes for this weather, these beautiful beaches with real waves you can surf on, proximity to skiing and mountain adventures, some of the most beautiful national parks in the U.S., incredible diversity, and progressive thinking about the future and humanity. There are so many reasons why California is the most populous state in the nation and will always be that way.
That’s all fine and well. But it’s also true that the population is declining. It’s true that people are leaving for other states like Texas as one example. There is a reason why A one way uhaul from California to texas is so much more than the opposite direction. I recently moved from the suburbs of a large southern city to a small town. I sold my house to someone from California. And both of my new neighbors just moved from California. One from the north. One from the south. Businesses have shifted to more affordable states. So the utopia you speak of isn’t for everyone. And there are obviously reasons for this clear shift. Maybe the pandemic just sped it up a bit.

WannaGoNow

Sounds like your calling them all lazy.
Or maybe…hear me out…actors and filmmakers might be a little too busy with current production commitments to fly cross country just for a quick appearance on a stage. An hour’s drive south to Anaheim and back is far easier to coordinate than a cross country trip, even with a private jet on hand.
That’s all fine and well. But it’s also true that the population is declining. It’s true that people are leaving for other states like Texas as one example. There is a reason why A one way uhaul from California to texas is so much more than the opposite direction. I recently moved from the suburbs of a large southern city to a small town. I sold my house to someone from California. And both of my new neighbors just moved from California. One from the north. One from the south. Businesses have shifted to more affordable states. So the utopia you speak of isn’t for everyone. And there are obviously reasons for this clear shift. Maybe the pandemic just sped it up a bit.
Again:

This is a myth. Net migration from California has been holding pretty steady over the last ten years. The state did lose a net total of 182,083 people last year, the first year of a net decline, but out of a total population of 39,466,917. That’s less than 0.05%. Also, more than 30,000 people died over the average last year.

CA cities’ populations declined in the pandemic, but recent studies show people mostly moved from urban CA centers to more suburban/rural CA counties. CA continues to attract 48% of total venture capital dollars, compared to Texas at 3% and Florida at 2%. The CA tax base remains solid.

Personally, the more people who can’t hack CA and have to go elsewhere, the better IMO. The housing market in metro areas and along the coast is crazy stupid because demand far outstrips a limited supply. Other states - because “business friendly” also means less regulations to control sprawl/density and keep an eye on sustainability and quality of air/water - are welcome to unchecked blight. Enjoy!

flynnibus

Premium Member
This is a myth. Net migration from California has been holding pretty steady over the last ten years. The state did lose a net total of 182,083 people last year, the first year of a net decline, but out of a total population of 39,466,917. That’s less than 0.05%. Also, more than 30,000 people died over the average last year.

The part you keep missing is... NET doesn't nullify the reality of people leaving. Sure other people are going... but people who have been there for awhile, and choosing to leave to move AWAY from california (vs towards something) is real. Net numbers don't nullify that.

UNCgolf

That is nothing new. Other states have been migrating to FL for years. Publix Subs wins everyone over eventually.

They do have great subs.

They used to have great fried chicken too, but their overall quality has really been slipping the past few years -- maybe because of how much they've expanded across the southeast? The fried chicken is still really good if you manage to get it right after they've cooked a batch, but up until 2-3 years ago that was never even a concern because it was always good. Now, it's 50/50 if you'll get chicken that's actually good or if you'll get something that has the flavor (or lack thereof) and rubbery consistency of food that was cooked yesterday and reheated in a microwave.

CaptainAmerica

Premium Member
ESPN Production doesn’t have to be Bristol. There’s nothing stopping Disney from moving ESPN’s production facilities to….Orlando. Or anywhere else they choose to build or lease studio facilities.

In fact, I’m surprised Jimmy P hasn’t already moved ESPN, but Disney has put it on the slow boat while figuring out its place in a streaming world.

Moving the theme park exec team, admin team, and support to Lake Nona makes absolute sense. Which is why Chapek and D’Amaro started planning this in 2019. GC3 is crowded, Anaheim has no room, and WDW/DCL are right there. Disney loves synergy, and they are anticipating greater productivity and serendipitous “magic” by having the team all in one place.

And that’s why they aren’t moving other divisions. In fact, I’d be surprised if most of Consumer Products go, as they benefit from access to production. Not just so they can plan products, but also to wine, dine, and impress licensees. Sure, they can give them a VIP experience at WDW - or they can introduce them to filmmakers and stars.
Have you seen the satellite farm in Bristol? Or the DC2 building?

Plus, it's a lot harder to replace on-air talent than cubicle warriors.

MorphinePrince

They do have great subs.

They used to have great fried chicken too, but their overall quality has really been slipping the past few years -- maybe because of how much they've expanded across the southeast? The fried chicken is still really good if you manage to get it right after they've cooked a batch, but up until 2-3 years ago that was never even a concern because it was always good. Now, it's 50/50 if you'll get chicken that's actually good or if you'll get something that has the flavor (or lack thereof) and rubbery consistency of food that was cooked yesterday and reheated in a microwave.
Agreed 💯 I picked up some fried chicken at my local NC Publix last year not long after moving from Orlando and the difference in quality from just 2 years ago was stunning. Definitely wanna do your best to hit them when its fresh

EricsBiscuit

Not true. Studio sound stages are so heavily booked in the greater LA area, they‘ve had to turn old warehouses in places like Pacoima, Santa Clarita and Sylmar into new ones. Or perhaps you’re talking Hollywood proper, but that’s still wrong as Paramount Pictures (and their soundstages) are in Hollywood itself.

Toronto and Vancouver see more production than Atlanta. LA has double the sound stage space of Toronto.

But there’s plenty of production to go around, especially since streaming services have increased the amount of content needed to feed them.

The poor struggle everywhere. CA provides more public services and greater benefits than states like FL.

As for the middle class: Looks out window of house bought recently. Gorgeous clear blue sky, temps in the 60s, will hit low 80s later, humidity at 30%. Kids are riding bikes, heading for the nearby park’s bike trail. Neighbors are out drinking coffee on their porches. Probably go to the beach later on, after we finish planning our next weekend car getaway to Lake Tahoe. Will pick up food from the farmer’s market or we might hit the El Salvadoran supermarket, maybe get takeout from some of the best Indian restaurants in the country, or perhaps dim sum from a Taiwanese chain. If we want to hit a museum or see live theater or attend the opera or classical music, world renowned institutions are in our backyard (and offer low or free admission on various occasions). Two of the world’s most highly ranked universities are nearby; might sign up for an extension class or attend one of the free lectures offered by their faculty.

Yeah, life really sucks here. Constant struggle.
Kids are riding bikes? What are those? Here in this backwards swamp kids still work in sugar cane fields. There is a hurricane every week. No one can afford coffee. No one can go to the beaches either because we are all paid $3 / day. Lake Okeechobee is too dangerous because of the pollution from the sugar cane fields we all work on. Our sugar cane labor salaries can’t afford farmer’s markets or Cuban markets. No such thing as Asian food here. Nope. Not at all. No museums either. What, do you think Thomas Edison and Henry Ford had labs and summer homes down here or something? Must be why so many people are moving to CA and away from FL!

Lilofan

That is nothing new. Other states have been migrating to FL for years. Publix Subs wins everyone over eventually.
Northern companies like Wegmans and even Shop Rite are light years above in quality, quantity and selection than Publix but the chicken tender sub at Publix with fresh veggies is good. Fresh tasting bagels is a foreign word at Publix. The CA cast relocating to FL will see the downgrade in food quality compared to CA right away but FL is trying to do better.

Lilofan

Funny, that’s how I feel about all the CA haters in this thread whose only experience with CA Is listening to pundits on cable television.

There’s room to expand in FL. There isn’t in CA urban centers and NYC. But growth isn’t the only metric. Unchecked growth is big trouble.

I do look forward to NY and CA transplants bringing their attitudes to FL. That’s going to be fun to watch.
NY/NJ and CA transplants also bring their money to FL. FL is not that innocent to turn that down. The one similar feedback both transplants give is the food in FL does not compare to back where they lived.

UNCgolf

Northern companies like Wegmans and even Shop Rite are light years above in quality, quantity and selection than Publix but the chicken tender sub at Publix with fresh veggies is good. Fresh tasting bagels is a foreign word at Publix. The CA cast relocating to FL will see the downgrade in food quality compared to CA right away but FL is trying to do better.

We'll see how long that lasts for Wegmans now that they're expanding into the south. Publix was much better before they massively expanded too.

There's a store called the Fresh Market that used to be incredible -- everything there was of the highest possible quality. Now that it's become a pretty large chain, it's not even remotely close to what it once was (it was created/headquartered in my home city).

Brian

Florida apparently has better schools, better infrastructure, and lower taxes than California. Just sayin'.

View attachment 572964
View attachment 572965

View attachment 572962

View attachment 572963
Careful now, you might ruin a talking point with those facts.

Stripes

Last edited:

Stripes

Careful now, you might ruin a talking point with those facts.
As a former Californian (left in 2017), the notion that my high taxes were paying for a well-functioning government bureaucracy is frankly laughable.

This is made evidently clear by living in the state, or simply walking into any branch of the California DMV.

I understand that at some level funding has an impact, but there’s also a level at which you reach diminishing returns and are left with structural issues and unfathomable incompetence.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom