Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

el_super

Not just dead weight - but a cool way to do reductions too. Really easy to 'not back fill roles' when people voluntarily leave vs doing layoffs.

Which to a certain degree makes sense. Disney spent a year complaining about closures and crowing about bringing jobs back. They can't turn around now and announce layoffs while at the same time trying to convince investors the parks are working under their "new" system.

There really isn't much in the pipeline right now for major theme park projects save for EPCOT and WDSP... maybe.

Piebald

Pickles in Longwood for #2, #3, though it's north of Orlando...
lol

That place is not good if you're hoping to placate some Katzs Deli craving.

Actually, the only decent pastrami on rye I've found is some random food truck called Pastrami Project.

UNCgolf

Not especially drastic, but it’s quite a drop off. Starting at the entry level California has USC, UCLA, UCI and Stanford all which are superior to every college in Florida.

California has 6 universities in the US News Top 30 (not that that's even close to being some kind of completely accurate, definitive ranking, but just as a quick look). New York, North Carolina, and Massachusetts are the only other states that even have 3.

scottb411

California has 6 universities in the US News Top 30 (not that that's even close to being some kind of completely accurate, definitive ranking, but just as a quick look). New York, North Carolina, and Massachusetts are the only other states that even have 3.

Speaking to anyone considering moving to Lake Nona for Disney on this topic, if you are planning on your child attending Stanford or USC at this time and want to research what that would mean if you moved to Florida - from families living here in Florida, the kids here are going to go away for college - they are going to MIT, NYU, Wake Forest, Northwestern, Harvard, and other Ivy League schools in the Northeast. Lake Nona is already a great high school and Disney moving 2,000+ coworkers to the area is going to accelerate that high school to one of the top schools in the state. You will also want to consider Winter Park High School or Lake Highland Preparatory School. Graduates from these schools attend colleges all over the United States including Stanford and USC. Being at Lake Nona, you will be a 5 minute uber drive away from the airport with 2.5 hour direct flights going to New York, Chicago, and Boston every hour to be able to easily visit your child at school and vice-versa.

Closer to home, Florida, Florida State, and Miami are popular choices along with Rollins in Winter Park and the hometown University of Central Florida (UCF) as the No. 1 workforce supplier of graduates to the U.S. aerospace and defense industries, according to Aviation Week Network:

Walt Disney World leaders George Kalogridis and Al Weiss are UCF Alumni:

Last edited:

JT3000

At one point I lived in Central FL. Moved a few states north and its more southern here than they could even dream of there.
We don't exactly dream of being southern. 🤣
In an Out is average at best.
Oh god, now you've really gone and done it. You've desecrated the altar Californians worship at. You've besmirched the honor of the garden variety fast food joint they hype up like a 5-star restaurant. They were already desperate to prove their culinary superiority over us uncultured swamp dwellers, now we'll never hear the end of it.

But it's true.

Lilofan

We don't exactly dream of being southern. 🤣

Oh god, now you've really gone and done it. You've desecrated the altar Californians worship at. You've besmirched the honor of the garden variety fast food joint they hype up like a 5-star restaurant. They were already desperate to prove their culinary superiority over us uncultured swamp dwellers, now we'll never hear the end of it.

But it's true.
Disney Legend actor Robert Downey Jr loves In-N-Out. Everytime he gets released from jail on drug possession his first go to meal is at In-N-Out.

Willmark

I wonder how the rest of us in the 49 other states survive on a daily basis.

DonaldDoleWhip

As a current Californian, I'll completely agree In-N-Out is overrated. So is Five Guys. The real secret is to pay a few bucks more for Habit Burger, which is so much better - I'd take it over the likes of Shake Shack and BurgerFi, and there's only so much you can expect from a $2-3 burger in 2021 anyway.

Or better yet, grab some ingredients from the farmer's markets dotted across the state, which can't really be topped. Only the other Pacific states can match CA's quality, but nowhere can top the quality + variety.

Not to dismiss the upsides, but this remains one area virtually anyone moving from LA to Central Florida would see as a downgrade.

UNCgolf

As a current Californian, I'll completely agree In-N-Out is overrated. So is Five Guys. The real secret is to pay a few bucks more for Habit Burger, which is so much better - I'd take it over the likes of Shake Shack and BurgerFi, and there's only so much you can expect from a $2-3 burger in 2021 anyway.

Or better yet, grab some ingredients from the farmer's markets dotted across the state, which can't really be topped. Only the other Pacific states can match CA's quality, but nowhere can top the quality + variety.

Not to dismiss the upsides, but this remains one area virtually anyone moving from LA to Central Florida would see as a downgrade.

I think Five Guys is far and away the best place for a fast food burger, although I'm not sure if it really counts as fast food since you do have to wait for them to actually cook it. The burgers are good, but the fries are the real reason to go. There's not even a comparison between their fries and any other QS burger place. However, you pay for that overall quality. You're generally going to spend more at Five Guys than you would anywhere else.

Shake Shack is good as well, and BurgerFi is okay, but I'd easily take Five Guys over either. I've only been to In-N-Out twice, but it wasn't very good either visit. I don't have any plans to go back a third time.

DonaldDoleWhip

I think Five Guys is far and away the best place for a fast food burger, although I'm not sure if it really counts as fast food since you do have to wait for them to actually cook it. The burgers are good, but the fries are the real reason to go. There's not even a comparison between their fries and any other QS burger place. However, you pay for that overall quality. You're generally going to spend more at Five Guys than you would anywhere else.

Shake Shack is good as well, and BurgerFi is okay, but I'd easily take Five Guys over either. I've only been to In-N-Out twice, but it wasn't very good at all either visit. I don't have any plans to go back a third time.
I'm not one who's particularly invested in the fast food debate - I don't think I've ever had the fries at any of these places (maybe once at In-N-Out?), and I haven't ordered a burger on a bun from them in 12+ years (burger on lettuce is where it's at). So my perspective is also through the lens of "tastes great, but make it healthier."

For me, Habit Burger is the clear winner there, which ultimately comes down to the meat, lettuce wrap, toppings, etc. Other places like Burger Lounge are also very good, but they're at an even higher pricing tier so I'm excluding from the competitive set. I know not everyone rates their burgers on lettuce wraps, but that's been my guiding light for years, and both In-N-Out and Five Guys fall flat there.

It sounds like In-N-Out's fries are also widely considered to be losers, so fair enough. I think the burgers are well-liked for being quick and cheap.

Lilofan

I'm not one who's particularly invested in the fast food debate - I don't think I've ever had the fries at any of these places (maybe once at In-N-Out?), and I haven't ordered a burger on a bun from them in 12+ years (burger on lettuce is where it's at). So my perspective is also through the lens of "tastes great, but make it healthier."

For me, Habit Burger is the clear winner there, which ultimately comes down to the meat, lettuce wrap, toppings, etc. Other places like Burger Lounge are also very good, but they're at an even higher pricing tier so I'm excluding from the competitive set. I know not everyone rates their burgers on lettuce wraps, but that's been my guiding light for years, and both In-N-Out and Five Guys fall flat there.

It sounds like In-N-Out's fries are also widely considered to be losers, so fair enough. I think the burgers are well-liked for being quick and cheap.
For CA transplants to Lake Nona to get their Habit Burger fix, they need to drive a few hours south to Boca Raton, Miami area to get a HB.

DonaldDoleWhip

For CA transplants to Lake Nona to get their Habit Burger fix, they need to drive a few hours south to Boca Raton, Miami area to get a HB.
Interesting - didn't know Habit Burger had made it east but that's something, albeit not really the same as having it in your metro area.

Putting aside the fast food debate, Central Florida does have some very good restaurants, but the overall concentration still skews heavy in favor of chains (Darden and Bloomin' Brands pretty much dominate) and theme park/concession fare. The good neighborhood restaurants are generally a lot more spread out, and even the quality restaurants at the theme parks & resorts have resort pricing built in.

I'm well aware of the quality coming out of places like the Ravenous Pig and Kadence, but it doesn't really count saying "Miami has an excellent food scene", or Charleston, or New Orleans, for those who'll be based closer to MCO than anything.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom