Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
From your quoted article, "Researchers from a consortium of universities – including the Berkeley, UCLA, Cornell and Stanford..." Certainly "researchers" from these moderate institutions produced an unbiased report.
Those also happen to be places where “smart people go/teach”

you might want to regulate yourself before you Throw stones at the glass

ImperfectPixie

The cost of living may be lower, but I'd hope the employees refuse to take a pay cut to move to Orlando. I know we would. We wouldn't uproot our entire lives for less money.
A good friend of ours relocated from MA to NC for his job. They not only paid his moving expenses, but gave him a 20% increase. Mind you, he sold a 30-year-old, 1800 sq. ft. house here for $317,000, and bought a brand-new, built to his specifications 2400 sq. ft house in NC for $218,000. He DID own more land up here, but the amount that is useable here is equivalent to the lot his new house is on.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
A good friend of ours relocated from MA to NC for his job. They not only paid his moving expenses, but gave him a 20% increase. Mind you, he sold a 30-year-old, 1800 sq. ft. house here for $317,000, and bought a brand-new, built to his specifications 2400 sq. ft house in NC for $218,000. He DID own more land up here, but the amount that is useable here is equivalent to the lot his new house is on.
It’s very unlikely any pay increases will come from a move starting in Southern California and ending in a gator zone in central Florida

ImperfectPixie

It’s very unlikely any pay increases will come from a move starting in Southern California and ending in a gator zone in central Florida
I hope that's not the case. Any fool knows that pulling up roots and moving across the country isn't a decision to be made lightly and especially with families, there needs to be incentive for a potential move away from family.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
I hope that's not the case. Any fool knows that pulling up roots and moving across the country isn't a decision to be made lightly and especially with families, there needs to be incentive for a potential move away from family.
Perhaps for many of the CMs, they don't want to give them an incentive? Good way to remove the dead weight. My company did something similar when they shifted our corporate headquarters from California to the east coast. And it worked out really well going forward. But of course, these are different circumstances for Disney.

ImperfectPixie

Perhaps for many of the CMs, they don't want to give them an incentive? Good way to remove the dead weight. My company did something similar when they shifted our corporate headquarters from California to the east coast. And it worked out really well going forward. But of course, these are different circumstances for Disney.
The really sad part about my friend, is that they relocated him knowing full-well they were going to close down operations within two years. He didn't know that at the time of the move.

UNCgolf

Food Lion is towards the bottom but then again one hasn't reached bottom unless one has shopped at the Piggly Wiggly ( located in very poor towns and select cities). The food chain is even mentioned in the movie Sweet Home Alabama. Locations mostly in the Deep South and parts of FL but I doubt CA transplants would see one ever built near Lake Nona.

My grandparents' (who lived in a small town) house backed up to a Piggly Wiggly. They used to deliver groceries to my grandmother.

I think they used to be more widespread (and probably a bit nicer) than they are now, but yes, today you'll usually only find them in small towns and rural areas or occasionally in poorer areas of cities in the south.

Lilofan

Not the easiest thing to do but pre covid years ago a guy from Wall Street NYC worked Mon - Fri very long hours, lived in a studio apt then took a redeye Fri night to the West Coast to be with his wife and kids in their home Sat and Sun then took a redeye Sun night to be back in NYC to be at work Mon morning.

UNCgolf

Where did he move in NC? It must have been a more rural area -- although NC is much cheaper than MA in general, you wouldn't be able to get a house of that size for that price (in a desirable area, at least) in any of the larger cities (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, probably Greensboro and Winston-Salem as well and maybe a couple of others).

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
I think you’re overlooking something…
I think you’ve got it…
The really sad part about my friend, is that they relocated him knowing full-well they were going to close down operations within two years. He didn't know that at the time of the move.
And don’t sleep on them temporarily having large departments and then gutting them to boost numbers for the street.

the “Welch” maneuver

ImperfectPixie

Where did he move in NC? It must have been a more rural area -- although NC is much cheaper than MA in general, you wouldn't be able to get a house of that size for that price in any of the larger cities (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, at the very least).
Actually...it was in Raleigh. This was a good 10+ years ago though. (Holy carp...I can't believe it's been that long!) It was a brand new development of homes...we went to visit shortly after they moved and seriously considered following them. I was stunned they were able to get such a beautiful house for so little (they even had hard-wood floors).

UNCgolf

Actually...it was in Raleigh. This was a good 10+ years ago though. (Holy carp...I can't believe it's been that long!) It was a brand new development of homes...we went to visit shortly after they moved and seriously considered following them. I was stunned they were able to get such a beautiful house for so little (they even had hard-wood floors).

Oh, that makes sense because of the time frame. I imagine they could sell that house for at least double what they spent now.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
“Great” houses for far less money than older areas are a commentary on the economics of the area…

you know what state is the notorious poster kid for it?

Lilofan

Where did he move in NC? It must have been a more rural area -- although NC is much cheaper than MA in general, you wouldn't be able to get a house of that size for that price in any of the larger cities (Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Greensboro, at the very least).
One place I've been to, friendlier people cheaper COL is Winston Salem. That is if one doesn't mind the tobacco smoke filling the air around the RJR tobacco complex and the residential areas. Just think of Main Street MK filled with chocolate smells but substitute with tobacco.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
One place I've been to, friendlier people cheaper COL is Winston Salem. That is if one doesn't mind the tobacco smoke filling the air around the RJR tobacco complex and the residential areas. Just think of Main Street MK filled with chocolate smells but substitute with tobacco.
So 100% gross and outdated?

UNCgolf

I grew up in Greensboro, which is right next to Winston-Salem. Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem used to be considered one metro area (with something like 1.5-2 million people) but for some reason they decided to separate Greensboro/High Point and Winston-Salem into separate statistical areas even though you could drive from Greensboro to Winston-Salem without realizing you'd changed cities.

I'm not sure that characterization is really true anymore, although I've never spent much time in Winston. NC no longer allows indoor smoking anywhere.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom