Orlando Becoming East Coast Headquarters for Disney Parks, Experiences, and Products

TimeTrip

Real diner food, bagels = it's all in the water , quality Chinese food really only exist in NJ/NY. For a number of FL pizza places advertising " NY Style Pizza" is pretty much of a joke.
That's why Brooklyn Water Bagels are so good. They have a 14?-stage filtration process for their water to "brooklyn-ize" it. Closest to NY bagels we've found in Orlando area.

Alwo FWIW, there are pizza places that are close to NY, you just need to to "know" where they are. I recommend Zippoz in Casselberry.

GimpYancIent

There are certain very tasty items that are unique to NYC and I have yet to find duplicated anywhere. (1.) Locks and cream cheese on NY bagels, (2.) Corned beef on Rye, (3.) Pastrami on Rye. mmmmmmm.

ImperfectPixie

If you’re curious…Google it and see what they listed it for?

obvious don’t put the address here…last thing you need is an angry Disney protest led by Katie bug and stamps on your lawn 😉
A hundred thou over the last time it sold. I'm surprised they aren't asking more though...they put some decent money into it. I'm not silly enough to do that, lol.

scottb411

There are certain very tasty items that are unique to NYC and I have yet to find duplicated anywhere. (1.) Locks and cream cheese on NY bagels, (2.) Corned beef on Rye, (3.) Pastrami on Rye. mmmmmmm.
Try Bagel King for your "kettle-baked" NY Bagel needs and Toojays for the Corned Beef on Rye and Pastrami on Rye. I'll add Beefy King for roast beef sandwiches for Western NY transplants.

TimeTrip

Try Bagel King for your "kettle-baked" NY Bagel needs and Toojays for the Corned Beef on Rye and Pastrami on Rye. I'll add Beefy King for roast beef sandwiches for Western NY transplants.

Kudos for the beefy king recommendation. Love that place. :)

Piebald

I work for Verizon and in 2012, we went through a “Finance transformation” where they closed several buildings in the Northeast and brought half of Finance to Lake Mary here in Orlando and sent the other half of Finance to Tulsa, OK. Thankfully, my position was on the Florida side of things. Kind of like winning the lottery, being a Disney fan! Anyway, companies have been moving down here for quite a while. Many jobs aren’t right next to Disney, but in a 30 mile radius. There are tons of corporate jobs here in Lake Mary that have nothing to do with the hospitality or entertainment business.
Another fellow V Teamer.

Lilofan

I grew up in Greensboro, which is right next to Winston-Salem. Greensboro, High Point, and Winston-Salem used to be considered one metro area (with something like 1.5-2 million people) but for some reason they decided to separate Greensboro/High Point and Winston-Salem into separate statistical areas even though you could drive from Greensboro to Winston-Salem without realizing you'd changed cities.

I'm not sure that characterization is really true anymore, although I've never spent much time in Winston. NC no longer allows indoor smoking anywhere.
I recall back in the day when no smoking signs started showing up inside buildings ( ie convention area ) In Winston Salem and a Winston Salem RJR exec didn't been think twice before he ripped down the posted sign. Back when I was there when the tobacco plant was in full production mode the air outside for about 1-2 miles in the immediate area smelled like Winston cigarettes.

Last edited:

Ayla

My grandparents' (who lived in a small town) house backed up to a Piggly Wiggly. They used to deliver groceries to my grandmother.

I think they used to be more widespread (and probably a bit nicer) than they are now, but yes, today you'll usually only find them in small towns and rural areas or occasionally in poorer areas of cities in the south.
Piggy Wiggly has a large presence in the upper Midwest, too.

ImperfectPixie

Dead weight? Really?
Unless teams are kept very streamlined and management is a part of ongoing conversations regarding productivity, quality of work, morale, etc....there's bound to be dead weight in any operation. When I was managing the graphics department at a busy sign shop, we were able to increase productivity by 30% even after cutting 4 people from my department (they really were dead weight...only did the minimum required to look busy and were, in general, a drain on resources and morale).

TimeTrip

Pickles in Longwood for #2, #3, though it's north of Orlando...

Ayla

Unless teams are kept very streamlined and management is a part of ongoing conversations regarding productivity, quality of work, morale, etc....there's bound to be dead weight in any operation. When I was managing the graphics department at a busy sign shop, we were able to increase productivity by 30% even after cutting 4 people from my department (they really were dead weight...only did the minimum required to look busy and were, in general, a drain on resources and morale).
My point being, just because people choose not to uproot their lives to move from CA to FL (because, honestly, who can blame them) does not make them dead weight.

Andrew C

You know what's funny?
Dead weight? Really?
What? I didn't say it was my idea. But when a company shifts to another location, many times it gives them the opportunity to start fresh. Hire a lot of new people to replace those that didn't make the move, which brings in new ideas (hopefully). And let's not pretend that Disney (or any company) doesn't have dead weight. I also imagine they are likely to lose some good minds as well...

flynnibus

Premium Member
Perhaps for many of the CMs, they don't want to give them an incentive? Good way to remove the dead weight. My company did something similar when they shifted our corporate headquarters from California to the east coast. And it worked out really well going forward. But of course, these are different circumstances for Disney.

Not just dead weight - but a cool way to do reductions too. Really easy to 'not back fill roles' when people voluntarily leave vs doing layoffs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom